User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2011, 08:42 AM   #1
yeagley23 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Armor review

I have been looking for good body armor. My preference is to get something that is soft and flexible, like the Nitrex stuff in the Forcefield armor. I would like to have a mesh jacket and mesh pant that I could wear a t shirt and shorts under, respectively. I looked at the Dainese Gladiator and a few others but there are so many out there. I would love to have a side-by-side comparison with all the CE ratings and stuff. The best review site that I have found is this...
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motor...or/forcefield/
They also review a few air bags too. The motoair looks really cool but I can't find any prices on them.
Personal reviews and references to sites is more than welcome. Thanks in advance.
yeagley23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:12 PM   #2
Pardus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
I wear a High Velocity Gear Juggernaut. http://www.highvelocitygear.com/Jugg...BodyArmor.html

I ride dual sport. Prior to my current bike I had a smaller dual sport that I rode almost exclusively on dirt and my first bike was a dirtbike. I mention this because most of the protective gear I have to compare to is dirt oriented stuff. The comfort, weight, bulk, and other considerations/tradeoffs I'm willing to accept might be formed in part by this.

There were a few key things I was looking for when I was shopping for armor. I wanted a high degree of protection (in terms of coverage and also things like certifications to back the product up a bit). I wanted something that wasn't integrated in a jacket because I anticipated highly variable weather conditions in Colorado and slower trail riding (versus highway) won't give me the airflow. I want it to go over a t-shirt but under a jacket or jersey (or with nothing over it for that matter).
I wanted comfort, a good fit, reasonable weight, and good freedom of movement while wearing the armor.

I ordered the Juggernaut because it met all the criteria I was able to evaluate without actually trying it on. It turns out it meets the fit/comfort/weight criteria as well but I didn't know for sure when I ordered.

It provides protection for my spine, shoulders, chest, and elbows. The spine protector can be separated if you want to reduce your level of protection for some reason. It has thumb loops to keep the sleeves from riding up. It has enough adjustments that I can have it fitting well with everything staying in place. It's got CE ratings. The mesh is cool and lightweight.

The only complaint I have is extremely minor. Sometimes the bottom of the spine protector gets snagged on the waist of my pants. It's not even a problem really, just a minor nuisance. I think I should probably have the tall version so the spine protector is a bit longer and can't easily get caught. Regardless, it's a very small matter.

Overall I'm extremely happy with it. It's a great piece of gear that offers me a lot of versatility in terms of how I dress for the conditions. It's comfortable and highly protective. I haven't crash tested it but I like knowing I have it on when I'm on the bike.

I'm not sure if that's the kind of feedback you were after; I hope it helps.
Pardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:25 AM   #3
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,507
Think you already answered your own question.
Go with Forcefield gear and get a mesh overjacket or something like the Olympia Xmoto and GT Air Transition jackets that zip open with lots of mesh,but can be closed up when weather turns bad.
Get the Forcefield"Adventure harness"version if you don't want pads in your underclothes.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:26 PM   #4
yeagley23 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardus View Post
I'm not sure if that's the kind of feedback you were after; I hope it helps.
That's exactly the type of review I was looking for. The Juggernaut was actually one of the top runners too. They give a discount to ADV members and they have really great reviews. The Forcefield Sub Pro 2 was the only one tested by CE to get below 4Kn and the Juggernaut was around 4.5. The reviews are really good and the Sub Pro 2 is WAY more expensive. I have actually heard that Nitrex is not as flexible as some of the newer stuff like the 3Do. Thank you very much for your feedback as it gives me another positive review on a very affordable and attractive option.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:31 PM   #5
yeagley23 OP
Adventurer

Fyi

I didn't post this thread because I am lazy. I do know that there are a bunch of armor reviews already on ADVrider.com but most of them are several years old. The newest one that was even a little comprehensive that I found was from 2008. If you guys know of a thread that I should check out, please let me know. I am looking for the latest and greatest so that I can be around my kid when he is born at the end of July. I feel like a dick still riding sometimes, especially when I get balls deep in a twisty. Having armor will make me feel like I am still being somewhat reasonable!
Old 06-13-2011, 12:35 PM   #6
Giuseppe
Medium-Viz

Oddometer: 469
Capilene 1 long-sleeved base layer + Forcefield Adventure Harness + Draggin' Jeans Kevlar mesh shirt. Wicks, protects, and flows a bunch of air.

For all-day wear in hot weather, I like this combination even better than a t-shirt and quality mesh/textile jacket. Of course, it's not really practical for a quick run to the store...
Giuseppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:49 PM   #7
Giuseppe
Medium-Viz

Oddometer: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeagley23 View Post
I have actually heard that Nitrex is not as flexible as some of the newer stuff like the 3Do. Thank you very much for your feedback as it gives me another positive review on a very affordable and attractive option.
D30 armor has been available for a while in SixSixOne's EVO knee and elbow guards. I tried a pair about year and a half ago. The D30 was thin, but seemed to work as advertised. The quality of the SixSixOne gear itself, unforunately, was terrible. I haven't had a chance to see the D30 pads that are now being used by Olympia, Klim, etc. in their newer garments, though.
Giuseppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:54 PM   #8
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,022
I like my Tekvest.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:21 AM   #9
yeagley23 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe View Post
Capilene 1 long-sleeved base layer + Forcefield Adventure Harness + Draggin' Jeans Kevlar mesh shirt. Wicks, protects, and flows a bunch of air.
That looks like one hell of a setup. I may actually go with something like that. I have been planning some long trips in Europe and that would be very attractive for all day riding. Thanks for the idea.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:19 AM   #10
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
I got a Thor Impact Rig SE. First ride wearing it, it paid for itself, when I fell onto jagged rocks, then had a bike land on me. I wasn't even bruised.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:43 AM   #11
yeagley23 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
I got a Thor Impact Rig SE. First ride wearing it, it paid for itself, when I fell onto jagged rocks, then had a bike land on me. I wasn't even bruised.
That is impressive. It seems like armor is must! There are just so many options and I don't know which to pick. Thank you for the anecdote.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:21 AM   #12
yeagley23 OP
Adventurer

http://www.esportbike.com/forums/arc.../t-109211.html
This site has a whole bunch of information about armor. It's from 2004 but it is REALLY detailed.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:33 PM   #13
243Win
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
Similar experience with a Rockgardn pressure suit sans the bike landing on me. Jersey was torn down my back, no marks on me. Over the handlebars another time, landing on my back at 30+ mph and walked away from it. Oh so sore the next day, but no bruising, broken bones.

I like the side rib protection on the Rockgardn and the kidney belt that provides some back support.

The kevlar shirt over it is a great idea! That is going to get added to the kit this week.

10 State Trip 2010
2011, $1000 in the pocket, how far can we go
243Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:54 PM   #14
pingvin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
Will buy O'neal Hellraiser, got the SAS-Tec armour that's soft but harden in impact. Got it in my road suit and tested at +100kph highside last year. 2 days in austrian hospital but no bruises and no broken bones.

Downside that not soft when very cold.

http://www.oneal.com/catalog/product...0193318bf6a0e6
1981 Husqvarna 420 AE
pingvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:09 PM   #15
muddbutt
Pork Chop Expert

Oddometer: 298
Bones throughout the body can obviously break at different force levels. Some bones break easier than others, and it also depends on how strong your bones are. A sideways fall off a motorcycle, not moving, can generate up to 10kn of force. If you hit just right, say on the edge of a curb or a rock, that is enough to break your hip bone. Or if you fall backwards off your bike and hit a rock in the road, you could snap your spine.

Armor is supposed to absorb these forces. And there are different types of armor. I will try to classify them:

1. Dual Density Foam armor. Closed cell armor - lightweight comfortable. Not good at absorbing high impact energy from a small contact area. Will compress and send the shock to your body. For its thickness it is relatively poor at absorbing high energy forces. You would need extremely thick foam armor to absorb bone breaking shocks. Motoport states that there armor is both closed cell foam and memory foam, the blue part in the pic belwo is closed cell foam.
Motoport TriArmor

2. Memory Foam Armor Better foam armor - this is the stuff in T-pro. This feels like a very dense rubber and is usually layered. Forcefield calls their armor material NITREX. This type of armor in layers can absorb a tremendous amount of force.

3. Hard armor with foam backing. Unsurpassed at absorbing energy from sharp or small objects such as rocks or having the bike land on you.
Juggernaut:

4. Visco Elastic Armor This armor becomes hard at impact. There is sas-tec, d3o, and Deflexion (by dow corning). The advantage of this is that it is thin. Deflexion comes in a few different types. TP-S is the best for absorbing high energy impacts. requires 2 layers to be CE Level 1 certified, and 3 layers to be CE Level 2 certified. d30 is thin and may perform better than deflexion for the thickness.

Comparison between d30 and Deflexion

5. Airbag Armor. This is the best armor at absorbing serious forces to bring them below a level that will cause bones breaking or internal injuries (ruptured organs). IF IT DEPLOYS.

I ride with a GP2 suit. Jacket I have extra t-pro armor in the shoulders, chest, quad armor backpad, and an hit-air bag vest velcroed to my gp2 jacket. In the pants I have tri-armor with T-PRO thigh armor and T-pro hip armor . Comfortable.
muddbutt is offline   Reply With Quote