User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2012, 07:03 PM   #1
kubiak OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
miss matched bike builds

post your miss matched parts on your bike. heres my 02 bmw f650gs with yamaha yz426 forks,yamaha yz front hub with honda xl250 rear 2.15x18 rim laced to it.yamaha tw200 rear wheel and tire on the rear,yamaha xt250 rear sprocket with a 520 tooth pitch, honda crf 450 rear fender,ktm 950sm front fender and a ktm950sm rear rack.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:06 PM   #2
kubiak OP
Beastly Adventurer

heres the other side, fmf q4 muffler off a kawasaki kx450f.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:34 AM   #3
Lerxstdawg
Wait...what?

Oddometer: 544
That is truly a work of art. How does it handle? How long did it take to build it? I need that!
Old 08-19-2012, 04:33 AM   #4
Cruiser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,326
Really nice looking build there.. even with all the different donor units it doesn't look Frankenstien like.. looks great! how does she handle? I'll post a few of my old GG later.. Its got parts from various year of GG bikes and forks from a husky, and a ktm silencer, kawasaki KX plastic etc.. but she is no were rolling yet.. close..
97 GG 250ec-for sale,, just email me if interested
Fleetwood neon for sale
Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:30 PM   #5
kubiak OP
Beastly Adventurer

the thing handles like a dream, i wanted something for trails and soft dirt and sand and i figured the tw wheels would be the best bet. off road the bike is super stable now. it goes right over soft sand and dirt and right over grooves and ruts super smooth.no more feet out going through rough stuff it just goes straight through. and there is so much traction climbing over dirt or even rock and boulders since the backend has a huge contact patch now. on the road it works better than i expected too. it handles like my old supermoto in the turns with so much grip and traction front and rear. on the freeways it is super smooth and cruising at high speeds it is super stable. no more catching grooves in the roads, it goes straight over them and it rides way better and all the imperfections in the road are smoothed out with the bigger tires.i have to say it is a do it all setup now. usually you have to give up a little for dirt riding if you want a good road setup and give up good road manners to have a good dirt setup but it does everything perfect now.out of the few hundred bikes i have owned this setup is by far the best. i think it looks cool too!
Old 08-19-2012, 04:32 PM   #6
kubiak OP
Beastly Adventurer

heres another pic of the bike
Old 08-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #7
kubiak OP
Beastly Adventurer

trails are no match for the tw650 now!
Old 08-19-2012, 04:35 PM   #8
kubiak OP
Beastly Adventurer

back shot of the wheel.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:18 AM   #9
Lerxstdawg
Wait...what?

How much trouble did you have with the triple clamps & rear axle? I have to say it looks neat enough to be "factory". I'd like to build one myself, and was wondering if you could post a little more detail about the build if you wouldn't mind. My wife had a TW200 up until a year ago and I had a ball riding it from time to time, this just takes it to a whole new level.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:01 AM   #10
kubiak OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerxstdawg View Post
How much trouble did you have with the triple clamps & rear axle? I have to say it looks neat enough to be "factory". I'd like to build one myself, and was wondering if you could post a little more detail about the build if you wouldn't mind. My wife had a TW200 up until a year ago and I had a ball riding it from time to time, this just takes it to a whole new level.
hi, the triple clamps and forks are off a 00 yamaha yz426. it bolts right on the dakar with a 1/4 inch spacer since the yz stem was a little longer. some yz forks bolt right on without the washer or spacer though.i went with the whole yz frontend to make it easy.the rear axle on the tw wheel is the same 17mm size so that was easy too. i have a writeup on the tw wheel too, look under the thumper section under kubiaks tw650 build. let me know if you have more questions. thanks!
Old 08-21-2012, 03:14 AM   #11
Lerxstdawg
Wait...what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
hi, the triple clamps and forks are off a 00 yamaha yz426. it bolts right on the dakar with a 1/4 inch spacer since the yz stem was a little longer. some yz forks bolt right on without the washer or spacer though.i went with the whole yz frontend to make it easy.the rear axle on the tw wheel is the same 17mm size so that was easy too. i have a writeup on the tw wheel too, look under the thumper section under kubiaks tw650 build. let me know if you have more questions. thanks!

Thanks K, I did check out the thread, suscribed too! It all seems relatively straightforward. Looks like I've found a new project.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:23 AM   #12
kubiak OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks K, I did check out the thread, suscribed too! It all seems relatively straightforward. Looks like I've found a new project.
yea it wasnt too bad, i the tw wheel is steel and the dakar swingarm is steel so i figured i could make it work somehow with a welder and grinder lol!
Old 08-21-2012, 08:25 AM   #13
kubiak OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
what bike are you going to convert?
Old 08-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #14
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,864
heck, i'll play, got a wanged together '08 Kawasaki Versys built with a mishmash of used parts.

Suzuki DL1000 front wheel, Suzuki SV1000 left rotor, Suzuki SV650 right rotor center, Kawasaki ER6F swingarm bolt front axle, ER6F caliper with braided line, Suzuki DRZ400S forks, ER6F lower fender reshaped, '08 Kawasaki KLR650 rear fender for upper front fender, '09 ER6F radiator, Buell headlight with guard, Saturn bumper cover bikini fairing, KTM mirrors, ER6F motor and related parts, water bottle expansion tank, Yamaha R1 shock with Cannon spring, ER6F swingarm assembly, SV650 rear wheel with 520 sprocket, ER6F rear caliper, KLR250 footrest for a folding brake lever, KLR650 folding shifter...and an extended '08 KLR650 sidestand. Hey, it's cheap and it runs.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:30 PM   #15
Lerxstdawg
Wait...what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
what bike are you going to convert?

I've got an old DRZ400 sitting at the back of the shed, needs a lot of work to get her up and going well again, this project looks like a lot of fun though.