User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 12:35 AM   #1
corndog67 OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
More Than Just A Bike?

I see a lot of remarks about how some people love their bike. I mean, very, very attached to their sleds. Stuff like old VFRs, a lot of it on the BMW and KTM specific threads.

Are you especially attached to any one or all of your bikes?

I've got a KTM 950 Supermoto, a Ducati S4 and a CT-70 right at the moment. I like both big bikes. I really like the 70, I had a brand new one in 1970, same as the one I have now. But I could part with any or all of them in a minute if the deal was right.

Any of you got a bike that you will never part with?
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:12 AM   #2
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
I thought I'd never part with my SV650s, purely because it was worth so little (due to mileage and aesthetic condition) and held a fair degree of sentimental attachment for me. I sold it a couple of months ago. If I got rid of that, I can't see me ever being too attached to any one bike to sell it.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:16 AM   #3
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,190
My XL600R is my love, I enjoy maintanence as much as riding it and the raw power the engine produces when that second carby opens up is awesome. I paid too much for it, thats why i cannot sell it. it was a ugly POS when I bought it, but the engine was rebuilt and PO had papers to prove it. new everything in the head almost and a hi-comp piston.

It eats up any bike/quad/buggy/truck in the open desert and $50,000 sports cars at stoplights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:20 AM   #4
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,257
I have had many bikes I really liked, but they all went, because I never have enough time, space and money to have a bike collection.

I think my top bike was a 1969 Triumph Daytona.
It had a lot going for it, great looks, strong bike, great sound, good in the dirt for a street bike, comfortable, cheap, but after 5 years of hard use it wore me out fixing it all the time.
Trans issues, clutch issues, oil leaks, vibration breaking things, crappy pattern parts.
5 years and 50,000 miles and I was done with it.
If I had the space and money, no way it would have gone.

After having a bunch of other bikes, I have settled on a TU250 which is loads of fun and trouble free, but it sucks in the dirt.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:56 AM   #5
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,936
All 3 Harleys,2 Yamahas,1 Honda and The Tuono. Selling motorcycles is not an option. I have no wife and kids (never have,never will) so it's just me,Dog and the bikes.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:17 AM   #6
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 874
I luvs mah FJR. I luvs the fuel range, (On regular!) the valve check intervals, the balance, the handling, the comfort, the wind/weather protection, but I ain't attached to the thang. I'd swap it fer a 2013 in a minute.
I just ride the shit outta this bitch, 'n she's dun everythang I asked of her 'n mor; quite the ADV bike!

Old 01-10-2013, 07:09 AM   #7
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,860

This bike and I already have a 38 year history together!
'nuff said!

Chris
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E

O.C.F.RIDER screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 07:17 AM
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:14 AM   #8
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,528
I like almost every bike. I LOVE only one.

I will never own another feet forward bike. While they are the most prominent here in the states they are just not for me anymore.

I doubt I will ever be without a thumper dual purpose bike of some sort but it matters not which one.

I doubt I could be without a Triumph Triple of some sort. Again it doesn't matter which. Tiger, Sprint, Speed, Street, 675, 800, 955, 1050, 1215... Doesn't matter just so long as I have one. Those who have will understand/ Those who don't should go ride one.

The one bike I will keep forever... re-build when it wears out and will never be sold is one that on paper doesn't make sense. It doesn't go as good, stop as well or turn as sharp as some others but it makes me smile from the inside better than any other and has so much personality that it seems to be alive at times is:

DAKEZ screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 07:33 AM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:20 AM   #9
Mr. Magoo
n/a

Oddometer: 4,948
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:32 AM   #10
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,324
Not that attached to any of them. I love bikes in general, but most of the bikes I've owned can easily be replaced. The ones that would be hard to replace are antiques now, but weren't when I sold them. It's common for me to buy and sell two or three bikes a year just because I like to try different rides. The Harleys and Guzzis tend to stay around longest.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:35 AM   #11
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

^^^^ Never got my hands on one or I might be right there with you on the HP2 ^^^^

I rode one briefly and wanted to ride it more.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:59 AM   #12
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,806
I have a 99 XL1200s. HD Sportster-sport. Bought it new. Going on 14 years of ownership. I'm still not bored of it. Can't say I love it. I love my family, not things. However, I am very attached and I don't see myself selling it anytime soon. I have thought about it lately because I'm lusting for a KTM 690e, $$$, but just can't do it. As nice as the 690 is, it can't quite fill that nich in the fleet that the Sportster does.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #13
uraberg
whosaberg?

Oddometer: 685
I trashed my triumph sprint before christmas. Yesterday, it hit me in full force. I believe I cried a little.

Never, ever thought I would be so attached to a bike.
uraberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #14
OrangeYZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
All of them are just collections of parts to me. Replaceable parts. Some of the parts are easier (cheaper) to replace than others, some of them it's better to just replace all of the parts at once.
The last bike I would sell would be my 2007 450 EXC. I'm not attached to it sentimentally, it's just the best bike I have. I already know what I'm going to replace it with: 2016 or 17 495/500/505/510/515/whatevertheycallitbythen EXC. But right now I have too big of a gas tank collection for it that won't fit the 2013 500EXC
OrangeYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:57 AM   #15
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by uraberg View Post
I trashed my triumph sprint before christmas. Yesterday, it hit me in full force. I believe I cried a little.

Mine tipped over just before Christmas and it is going to cost me $355 to replace the mid-fairing.