User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2014, 11:51 PM   #1
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,400
Races to Places - Taking an adventure ride to the next level

Well, here it is, the long overdue announcement of my next big challenge. I've been planning it for a while as you can imagine but now I can go public. Question is, where to put the thread, Ride reports or Racing It seems this is appropriate with a link to the racing thread for the various races.

So, here goes, this is a very quick overview / launch, more to follow in the coming weeks.

After successfully completing the toughest and most arduous race on the planet (The Dakar Rally) in 2013 it was time to look for the next challenge. It was difficult to identify what could ever beat such a huge undertaking and still deliver an enormous sense of achievement. What project could I put together that would satisfy my personal ambitions and also capture the minds of those individuals who wish to follow? What would make a great story, tie together everything that I am about, but yet be something like nobody has done before? Many months passed and a convoluted thought process progressed with a lot of dead ends and ‘not adventurous enough’ conclusions but eventually, the penny dropped and the answer was there. Timing is never perfect and big changes are never easy but opportunities that are close should definitely not be missed.

Expanding my focus from Races to Places I will set off on an adventure like no other. I will leave my place of work after 17 happy years, sell most of my possessions and ride my motorcycle around the world longitudinally and laterally, unsupported. Sticking to the unbeaten track, I aim to travel over 100,000 miles, over 50 countries and cross 6 continents. To make it even more of a challenge, as the opportunity arises I hope to compete in various races in different places on the same bike that I am travelling on. An adventure like no other, Races to Places is guaranteed to be a challenging and life changing experience for me and a fun experience for all of us.

I am delighted again to be part of the Adventure-Spec Team for this challenge, where there is a purpose as well as an adventure. This time I will be working in partnership with them, focusing my efforts on developing and testing the ultimate gear with a view to provide even more certified Adventure-Spec product to the market for you people to enjoy.

You can find out more and follow my progress through planning, preparation and the adventure itself at my new blog www.racestoplaces.com, which will develop more in the coming weeks. You can also find me on the usual social networking sources:

Twitter: @LyndonPoskitt
Facebook personal: Lyndon Poskitt
Facebook Page (please like): Lyndon Poskitt Racing
Racing blog: www.lyndonposkittracing.com
Travel blog: www.racestoplaces.com

An adventure like this cannot be rushed, it will not be short and for me it will become a new way of life for quite some time. I am excited to share my plans and I hope you will enjoy being part of it. Standby for some interesting posts including an an all new bike build, it would not be a Pyndon project without that!

Lyndon

My Dakar Rally Experience
My KTM 950 Story

Pyndon screwed with this post 04-18-2014 at 01:10 AM
Pyndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:25 AM   #2
idc22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Incredible

Fantastic idea, this should be one hell of a ride. Looking forward to hearing about bike choice and planning for such an incredible journey. Thank you for sharing.
idc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:07 PM   #3
The Dogger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Cool!

If you're still in the UK on 18th/19th July there's Dirtquake III , and whatever bike you're on , there'll be a race class for it

Classes for Choppers , Inappropriate Road Bikes , and Street Tracker types

http://www.sideburnmag.blogspot.co.u...quake-iii.html

Good craic , and some interesting characters

Cheers good luck ,

Stu
The Dogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:35 PM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,251
Old 03-01-2014, 03:50 PM   #5
KLR 41B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Sounds familiar

Oh ya, I day dream about stuff like this all day at work. Looking forward to this ride report, Good luck and safe travels to you.
KLR 41B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 04:38 PM   #6
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,308

This is gonna be epic!!

"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:17 PM   #7
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,962
Very eager to see the build.

Good luck Pyn.
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 12:54 AM   #8
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,400
Bike Build.....

So the bike is now built and I have filmed a complete time-lapse of the build to share with you all. I leave on my trip in about a weeks time. Details of the trip here:

TRIP ABOUT

Some basic bike build details here (video blog to follow!):

BIKE BUILD WITH PICS!

I've never been as busy preparing for a trip as I am with this one, but then again, I've never planned to be on the road for 18 months before :-)

Enjoy, once I hit the road there will be much more detail.

Lyndon

My Dakar Rally Experience
My KTM 950 Story

Pyndon screwed with this post 04-18-2014 at 01:08 AM
Pyndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:45 AM   #9
young1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 594
When you get to New Zealand we have spare beds here if you need one (live in New Plymouth, west coast North Island).
young1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:49 AM   #10
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,962
Pyn, any reason you have left out the rear cross brace for the luggage racks ? They are quite necessary to prevent twisting movement when loaded with luggage as you know from the 9x0 Adv luggage racks....

an oh, if you intend to do the AbuDhabi Desert Challenge next April, you're always welcome at my place.
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 05:59 PM   #11
TBR
Daily ADV Red China

Oddometer: 470
Lyndon, have a safe and enjoyable ride, best of luck during Races to Places and get in touch in case you make it to China one day ~ it's a small world...
Old 04-20-2014, 04:29 AM   #12
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,399
Very impressive bike prep, have ya given her a name yet? La Negra? Night Rider? Black Beauty? Blackie?

All kidding aside, have a super ride, or rides. If you see me I'll be the guy on a dirty sun bleached green KLR drooling.
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:16 AM   #13
JoeyBones
Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer: 1,295
One State left to ride: Hawaii. IBA #48773
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:13 PM   #14
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,380
In!
Old 04-20-2014, 07:01 PM   #15
Mcgee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
I will be following along with much enthusiasm. very nice bike!!