Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2014, 04:13 PM   #151
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Oddometer: 1,122
Bullring and rodeo arena...

After the party...

Heading back out....

A fun Little 20k ride. Got to a hill that seemed straight up and where the rock road gave way to mud so it was time for me to turn around. Tires seemed to grab decently descending and got back home before most had finished breakfast.
pdedse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:32 PM   #152
SurfnnRide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Have an awesome trip!

I lived in Costa for 6 months. Traveled from the most NW point all the way down the pacific coast to the panama canal and then back up the carribbean side all the way back up into CR up to Limon and then back to San Jose to fly out to Peru.

I know that country like the back of my hand. Did so much exploring. If you want any tips as you get into certain areas let me know.

Keep an eye out for the crab migrations and termite breeding season. Two interesting phenomenons down there.

Pura Vida!

Edit: HAHAHA! Ignore! Just saw that you're already home. Good times!

2014 Uganda to South Africa and Back! http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=966306

SurfnnRide screwed with this post 08-13-2014 at 04:51 PM
SurfnnRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:44 AM   #153
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

I've been to Haciendo Baru just north of Dominical several times, but they have a good zipline and my sis and husband are visiting from Australia...so it was time to park the mc and do some other fun things...the guides take you on a 40 minute hike to the where the zipline begins. They talk about the plants and animals as you go so it's quite interesting.

Those pods are where your chocolate comes from...

Pod up close

Bats chillin' under a leaf...

My sis and brother in law and guide Ronald getting ready for the first "flight of the Tucan"...

Old 07-26-2014, 06:13 AM   #154
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Our other guide David. His English was pretty good for never having been out of the country, learned all in school and on the job training by working in hotels and now as zipline guide. Since I bring students to San Isidro to learn Spanish and he has lots of Friends that want to learn English, we talked about getting them together for a language Exchange.

One of the guides goes first to catch the incoming partipants like us, and the other stays behind to buckly you up. John, my auzzie bro in law. He's an engineer, and he knows safety...he looks concerned.

Another one getting ready on the platform. There were 7 in our group. Not too bad, too much larger and the wait time between the 8 flighs would be a lot.

And the tucan flies!
Old 07-26-2014, 06:23 AM   #155
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Tech Question:

I've recorded a WAV file, an audio recording. Does anyone know how I can upload it to link in a post here? I use photobucket for photos, but it didn't accept a wav file. Thanks for any help.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:30 PM   #156
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

We built the house kind of in the jungle, so bugs abound and these spiders are...well represented. But there's also wild turkey, tucan, chirincoca, morfo butterfly, vulture, froggies and sapos, a ridiculous number of other insects I've never seen, scorpions, a 5' snake...my daughter is calming down after two weeks here, but she still jumps at wasps.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:26 AM   #157
cold comfort
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdedse View Post
Pinturas Alfa:

From the owner's manual...if you want to learn some Spanish:

I read it, now my head hurts. Spanish class tomorrow. Have a long way to go..
cold comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:03 PM   #158
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Quote:
Originally Posted by cold comfort View Post
I read it, now my head hurts. Spanish class tomorrow. Have a long way to go..
Jaja...you learn vocab like this and then you realize that half it varies country by country..still, could be useful. Buena suerte con el español.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:13 PM   #159
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

The CGL125's new digs...
Old 07-29-2014, 09:09 PM   #160
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

So I'm with 4 eighteen year olds and my daughter nearly 15. Good thing about them is they like to sleep, so early mornings I can get away for rides. If you take the San Isidro hiway and turn right (north) at Dominical, after about 5K you'll see a sign for Hatillo.

This ride report has basically been about a 125cc and a particular área of Costa Rica. I love slowing down...I'm 50 now and I don't feel the need to conquer the world as much as I want to let it come to me. Seems right to explore the nooks and crannies...

On the way into Hatillo...

It has a church

A pólice station

A Soda (the "only one"; a soda is kind of like small family run restaurante)

A "supermarket"

I have no idea

I stopped in front of a guy sitting in a hammock outside his house and asked him if he wouldn't mind a few questions. After a "sure" response, the answers to my questions: he told me the main agricultural product was rice, people still had cattle ranches nearby, but that most people were into construction. I asked him about a sign that said Quepos and Manuel Antonio about 40 kilometers away and he confirmed my suspicion that the relatively new costanera hiway had passed Hatillo by...gone are the days that people would actually drive through the Little town--now you actually have to go 5 minutes out of your way to pass through this 2 kilometer town.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:36 PM   #161
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

A bridge re-connects you to the costanera hiway

Some zapilotes devouring a fish

I crossed the costanera hiway to look for the beach. Telephone towers

Some ridiculous flowers

Pretty countryside

There it is!

Old 07-29-2014, 10:20 PM   #162
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

The beach at Dominical is nice for surfing and there are many others south where you can have fun, beaches are not crowded at all, but are visited. North of Domincal...not as much. This is a couple kilometers south of Matapalo.

What? That's it...I'm moving on...here comes the crowd!

Ok...so that guy walking towards me on the beach came closer and we made eye contact. He motioned to his backpack and son was heading directly towards me. I noticed his longish machete. But he started pulling out a pipa, basically an unripe coconut, good for drinking its milk, or agua as it's said in Spanish. He gave me one to try and it was good. Had 9 more and wanted $4 for the lot. I know at other beaches they charge $1 per, so $4 for 9 seemed reasonable, but I didn't want 9 of them. I offered him $2 for 4 more besides the one he had already given me. But he was really adamant about selling the lot altogether. I said OK, but I wanted potos. He then started in with a looooooong story of pólice brutality, how many people think he's a thief, how he'd like a picture of him to promote his "pipa business", and we're supposed to meet again with photo in hand this Friday at 9...no better 11 in case I need more time to get there. Juan Carranza, 50 years old like me. Never used a computer he said, nor cel phone. Just pipas. His finca has over 200 coconut tres and that's what he does--sells pipas.

So I bought all of them at $4. And the right to shoot some photos. We talked some more...he pointed out that my bike was "muy poderosa, muy buena"...the CGL125 will take whatever compliment it gets.

Juan Carranza preparing even better my 9 pipas.

$4 richer and 10 pipas poorer, Juan returns for more pipas.

I need to get back to the house because the kids want to do hike and wáterfall today, but I don't really want to leave yet.

Rice fields

Sometimes they do...
Old 07-30-2014, 05:21 AM   #163
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

When you're traveling you don't have to think much about certain things...like trash pickup. CR has started to recycle and you see bins for plastic, aluminum, glass, but out in the sticks...not so much. I asked the owner of this truck about it and he said if I delivered my recycyle-ables to a certain gas station on Friday mornings, he would take it for me....

On to more exciting things...Nauyaca falls. You can pay $60 for horseback ride to the falls so you don't have to walk the 5K, includes lunch, or you can pay $5 just for the entry fee and get some good exercise. I had never been to the falls before despite suggesting it to students and seeing the signs for it 100s of times. With a party of six, I thought it best to hike the 10k round trip.

It was hot and humid and your sweat probably rivals a small rainstorm...but totally do-able. The people on horseback who had started at 8am were returning, and as we crossed paths-- it just...didn't...look....as fun as walking it!

These are not Ticos...

In all its glory, the second, and shorter of two falls.

Ready to jump

Ok, I'll bite...haming it up

I told the boys that the number one traveller injury / mishap in CR was not drowning, mugging, snake bite nor problems with the drinking wáter, rather it was slipping on river rocks. So OJO! Maybe I made it up. To no avail, the biggest Young man was attempting to step up a wet Boulder and SLAP went his body as it met rock. Pride and side wounded, head a little grazed, but luckily, ok.

Finishing the hike, bridge back to the other side.

It was a good sign that the youngin's had a very good time because they said the wanted to go again.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:27 AM   #164
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

One thing I love about Mexico is the lighting in the colonial cities...I hadn't thought about lighting in CR in the same way...maybe it's the jungle green or maybe it's the humidy that swallows up the light. But a morning walk helped me see things a bit different...I'm no camera person, but I enjoy the way the rays can bring out a contrast between sky and green, the way they seep through the dense green. I woke up "late" this morning at 530am and the bird calls matched the scenery

Old 07-31-2014, 08:36 AM   #165
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

More of the same...