Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 08:09 AM   #76
bingo43
¡Que Viva!

Oddometer: 207
Laugh

The first of three levels where the house will be built:

Cool pictures of the lote. Three level house? Sounds pretty palacial. Basement...? inground pool? I can't wait to see the construction. Can you see the pacific from where your house will be? Will you build a razor wire fence around the property, or will the small fence around the subdivision be enough? How many lots already have houses and structures built?

bingo43 screwed with this post 02-20-2013 at 08:56 AM
bingo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:42 AM   #77
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Oddometer: 1,071
This Guanacaste tree branch hangs right over where the house is supposed to go, so the branch will have to be cut back.

This is a window view of the ocean...a couple of these trees will need a haircut to let the sunset in:

Looking south, back towards the hiway:

A year and a half ago I planted a mango, an orange and an avacado tree. The mango and orange are doing well, but the avacado, I learned later, isn't suited too well to this climate...but it's still alive. Now I want to plant a papaya and others.

I've only seen about 10% of the property...the rest looks like this, but I do hope to camp there soon and the guard who does the upkeep told me there are trails and he'd take me back in there.

The second level looking up towards the first.

There are already three mature lemon trees...they look like oranges, but nope.

I filled my trunk with lemons to give to my sis in law and others at SEPA school. There are hundreds that will go to waste, but soon we'll take advantage of them.

The trees are wonderful and provide lots of welcome shade:

For those of you who ride in shorts, you might suspect that this is a mufler burn on the calf, but those experienced with tattoos know that this is quality work:

Yesterday went exploring the area after Rivas, just east of S.Isidro. Found a neat bull ring / rodeo arena. Would love to visit when there's something going on:

The church above:

I've got a three day weekend coming up. Considering visiting Puerto Jimenez in the Osa Penisula. From S.Isidro would head back to the beach and take the costanera hiway (red line) to where it meets the Interamericana (white line), then over to Jimenez.

I've never been in this area of CR before, so it could be fun. I have friends with fincas so maybe even some camping.

pdedse screwed with this post 02-20-2013 at 08:53 AM Reason: typo
pdedse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:59 AM   #78
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo43 View Post
The first of three levels where the house will be built:

Cool pictures of the lote. Three level house? Sounds pretty palacial. Basement...? inground pool? I can't wait to see the construction. Can you see the pacific from where your house will be? Will you build a razor wire fence around the property, or will the small fence around the subdivision be enough? How many lots already have houses and structures built?
Hola amigo, three level house...no. Maybe I didn't explain that quite right. The lot has three levels on which one could build. The house will be built on the first and second level. The third level, the lowest, will be reserved for fruit trees and a guest house, but that's way off in the future.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:17 AM   #79
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Yesterday I went for a two hour ride on the interamericana hiway south of S.Isidro and rode through some beautiful sure cane / pineapple fields. The sugar cane trucks were loaded to the brim and some cane would fly off...just praying one wouldn't smack me in the head. Forgot to bring camera so I didn't get any photos.

On my way to work this morning, the bike started sputtering and seemed to have no accelerating power. Stopped, started again, fine for a moment, then same thing, sputtering, little power...then...it seemed to go away. Felt like something with the carb, maybe a little piece of something got in one of the jets. Might have to ride it a bit this afternoon before I take off to see if I can make it happen again. If it does, will have to spend this afternoon taking care of it and then begin 3 day trip tomorrow.

Sis in law served a veggie soup last night which had some strange looking things I'd never seen before: tacoco

She showed me how you have to peel the cáscara, the shell, or hard part, then eat the fleshy part inside, except the seed. Pretty tasty, kind of boiled potato like. Pre-cooked:

Another shot of the tacoco partially peeled and the remains of some already eaten:

Old 02-21-2013, 09:25 AM   #80
GRinCR
Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer: 318
Osa

- Never been.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it." -Abraham Lincoln
GRinCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #81
bingo43
¡Que Viva!

Wicked Very exciting

You are making me very jealous. Kyrie and I have been looking at all the pics and reading the stories together. That property looks very cool. Will there always be a guard at the property? Is that part of the price. We got a snow day today and tomorrow. We might get snow days on Mon and Tues. Good thing I have lots of motorcycle prep to do downstairs in the workshop. Notice in the picture on the wall. I took my Guia Roji book and made color copies. Then had my Spa IV class last semester cut and paste it into a full wall size map. It's what Jax and I are using for trip planning for mexico this summer. We leave june 3rd.

The FZ1 got registered and passed inspection last week. We got to take it for a spin before the snow hit. Your sister in laws granite looks just like the granite we had in our house in Gilbert. That Osa peninsula looks very cool. I'm interested to see what the roads are like through those national parks. (Corcovado)

KEEP IT COMING!
Old 02-24-2013, 07:27 PM   #82
LaCorrida
sealoquesea

Oddometer: 7
Cool2

Nice ride report, makes those of us bogged down in trying to make our own road trip come together a little more motivated! What a beautiful country your traveling through. I was there not too long ago; however, I didn't have the pleasure of having my bike, nor did I see too much beyond the small town I stayed in. Your photos are really beautiful, a few in particular are quite inviting......

Great to see you were able to get some road time after the initial delay, hopefully you'll have some more photos to share.

¡Fortaleza y Adelante!

El espíritu atrofiado es como el organismo inerte por la acción de la parálisis............
LaCorrida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:10 AM   #83
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Quote:
You are making me very jealous. Kyrie and I have been looking at all the pics and reading the stories together. That property looks very cool. Will there always be a guard at the property? Is that part of the price. We got a snow day today and tomorrow. We might get snow days on Mon and Tues. Good thing I have lots of motorcycle prep to do downstairs in the workshop. Notice in the picture on the wall. I took my Guia Roji book and made color copies. Then had my Spa IV class last semester cut and paste it into a full wall size map. It's what Jax and I are using for trip planning for mexico this summer. We leave june 3rd.

The FZ1 got registered and passed inspection last week. We got to take it for a spin before the snow hit. Your sister in laws granite looks just like the granite we had in our house in Gilbert. That Osa peninsula looks very cool. I'm interested to see what the roads are like through those national parks. (Corcovado)

KEEP IT COMING!
That is one SUPER COOL use of the Roji MX map! You're departure date for MX is while I'm still in school, but I wish you well on that trip, looking forward to the RR.

Yes, the guard is always there...guard is perhaps too strong a word, he's more a guy you check in with, maintenance person, will "chapear" with the machete to clear your lot from time to time.

Just got back yesterday afternoon from the OSA peninsula area. Fotos coming soon. Saludos a la familia,

p
Old 02-25-2013, 07:12 AM   #84
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCorrida View Post
Nice ride report, makes those of us bogged down in trying to make our own road trip come together a little more motivated! What a beautiful country your traveling through. I was there not too long ago; however, I didn't have the pleasure of having my bike, nor did I see too much beyond the small town I stayed in. Your photos are really beautiful, a few in particular are quite inviting......

Great to see you were able to get some road time after the initial delay, hopefully you'll have some more photos to share.

¡Fortaleza y Adelante!

El espíritu atrofiado es como el organismo inerte por la acción de la parálisis............
Hola LaCorrida...qué bueno verte por aquí. I like your end quote. Here's to strong, healthy spirits!
Old 02-25-2013, 12:07 PM   #85
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Not sure how to describe this last weekend exactly. Political discussions with a campesino who runs a viable cattle farm in an area associated with ecotourism, up and down hills the likes of which I wasn´t sure if Perlita--or I--could handle, eating some of the worst gallo pinto I´ve every laid eyes on, being on the receiving end of hospitality that came a second after I realized I could use it....just the type of weekend that answers any doubt one might ever have about buying a motorcycle unseen in another country.

I left off last Thursday with a bike that was acting up. Could only imagine that it was carb related as it consistently started cutting out around 4-5000rpm. Took it in to a Honda dealership...come back an hour later...mechanic starts off by saying "let me show you a little detail about these bikes" and it hit me right away and I finished the sentence for him "I left the choke half open,didn´t I?" We both laughed, me at myself, he at me. Oh well, add it to the list--lost key in the desert, kickstand left down, petcock on "off" as I take off, I´m sure the list will grow.

Perlita all ready to begin a three day weekend trip.

The idea was to camping on the lote the first night, then head to a friend´s uncle´s farm just before Puerto Jimenez in the Osa peninsula. Getting dinner ready...

Maybe it´s a bit ridiculous looking, but there´s something about having the machete at your sidet that makes camping more fun.

Just add boiling water to this

to get this

I´m not gonna lie...it was absolutely tasteless...but filling? ok, sure.

The first night I was to spend on the lote, a few outrageous birds calling.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #86
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

A lot of dew fell overnight so I had to use some gasoline from Perlita to get a morning fire started. A lot of good it did me as the powdered camping eggs were incredibly salty so I backtracked to Platanillo for some gallo pinto.

On the way to Puerto Jimenez...

Lots of date palm.

Different forms of transportation

Dates palm ready to be picked up

Put the dates in the horse baskets

Getting closer to Jimenez...it was humid and hot, but views like this helped

Hardly any traffic along the way

About 40 kilometers before Jimenez, the potholes started, sometimes it was bad enough that it made Perlita slow down to 10kph

My lunch partner

Old 02-25-2013, 01:20 PM   #87
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

The views....

River right after Rincón

Some of the housing provided for the date palm workers

In Puerto Jimenez, my first sighting of the scarlet macaws.

My friend Mike, a tico with gringo dad and tica mom lives on a cattle ranch that´s been in his family for years. I had never met him before this weekend, but he invited me to come spend a few days on his farm, chat a little. He´s alone, and seemed to enjoy just talking. He´s lived nearly his whole life in the area. Never really learned much English from his dad. Decided since he was in CR he was going to speak Spanish.

One of my favorite trees in the tropics, el ceibo. Simply majestic...

Evening comes quickly, around 545...

All sorts of yummy trees on Mikes farm...cashews.

Mike´s nephew, my sis in law´s ex Henri, is building his own boat to use on the bay.

I like farms, brings back lots of childhood memories of my grandparents.

Perlita getting ready for bed

Can´t resist another shot

Mike´s house which he built himself

Coming up, visit to Matapalo...
Old 02-26-2013, 07:06 AM   #88
bingo43
¡Que Viva!

Una historia excelente

I'm enjoying it all. What kind of cattle do they use for beef down there? I've been trying to follow your weekend tour on my map...but I don't think I found it. The names of the places and the river you crossed can't be found on my Google maps. I don't know if I need to back up and make it smaller or make it bigger. You should take a course from Trice and figure out how to make those cool maps with writing on them. I see where the Osa peninsula is on the map south of PZ. I would imagine you passed over the Rio Grande. (Big river) I think they could have come up with a better name. It's snowing again here. We got another snow day today. So I'm thinking about that heat and humidity closer to the equator.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:35 PM   #89
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Quote:
I'm enjoying it all. What kind of cattle do they use for beef down there? I've been trying to follow your weekend tour on my map...but I don't think I found it. The names of the places and the river you crossed can't be found on my Google maps. I don't know if I need to back up and make it smaller or make it bigger. You should take a course from Trice and figure out how to make those cool maps with writing on them. I see where the Osa peninsula is on the map south of PZ. I would imagine you passed over the Rio Grande. (Big river) I think they could have come up with a better name. It's snowing again here. We got another snow day today. So I'm thinking about that heat and humidity closer to the equator.

If you go to google maps,

https://maps.google.co.cr/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Puerto Jimenez is labeled as ¨finca bambu¨, don´t know why. The ¨carretera¨is labeled 245, it´s the only road that hugs the left edge of ¨golfo ducle¨. to the right of Corcovado N.P.

The cattle are a mix of brahman and something else, suited to hot climates, and they are like a lot of our bikes ¨doble propósito¨...both milk and..later...meat!
Old 02-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #90
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

I loved walking around Mike´s farm, just lots of interesting things to take in. My bedroom window...

Wire routing...

Ok, there are three fruits in CR that still confuse me through the years...
1. guanábana
2. guayaba
3. guava

Which is this one...if any?

This isn´t one of the three...I think.

Some plants just need a little help from others...

BTW...the spiky fruit is ¨guanábana¨