you suck.

Have fun ya bastard.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:11 AM   #17
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnWorks View Post
Wow do they allow such photos on passports in the States?

Anyway, you are certainly lucky, but your "life's work" actually justifies part of it. It's not like they chose a random guy walking down the street.

Have FUN!
And although you already know what you want to write, make sure to comment on anything worse than expected (or even worse than before), not just anything better than expected (and certainly better than before).

Make sure to make contacts (there will be many important motorcycle people down there). Always useful.

(realized my sig is ultra old... then again it's been years since I last posted)
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:38 AM   #18
Malcolm Van Hilten
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
its going to ROCK!

Hi Shawn,

A mate of mine is personally overseeing some aspects of the launch and he has been busy on this project for months already. From what i know of the area and the preparations that have been going on, nothing is going to prepare you for what an awesome spectacle you are going to be part of.

Enjoy and welcome to SA!
Malcolm Van Hilten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #19
ShawnWorks OP
Rock on!!!

Oddometer: 242
Thanks!

Thanks everyone for all the well wishes... They are much appreciated! I leave in a few days, and am very much looking forward to it. Even washed my riding gear, a rare endeavor indeed... More stories and photos to follow!

- Rosalia de Castro
ShawnWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #20
ShawnWorks OP
Rock on!!!

Adventure Log 3: "Check luggage and ego here..."

Today I received a call with additional information about the South Africa Trip. There is most certainly a lot to know—when I fly, where I’m staying, scheduling, expectations, etc.—and all of it is spectacularly exciting of course… But, some advice offered has given me pause:
“You will be riding with people who do this for a living. These folks are right up there with professional racers… They are extremely good at what they do, and know how to ride very, very well. You would be wise to avoid trying to keep up. Check your ego at the door, ride at your own pace and enjoy the experience.”
I guess it was a bit of a surprise. After all these years behind the handlebars of a GS, it had not occurred to me that I would be labeled the ‘slow guy’ on this trip. The realization came with a bit of pride swallowing.

But thinking on it, I am decidedly fine with being the dude in the back.

Over the years, I have come to understand that the difference between a ‘good’ and ‘great’ rider is surprisingly little. Of course, it's the little things that make all the difference, especially when your atop of pounds in a 70mph twisty. But above all the technique, the best riders seem to embody a desire to push a little harder, to elevate themselves toward the pinnacle of skill and performance and nerve.

When I started riding, I had a lot of nerve and almost no skill or patience. That combination got me into a heck of a lot of trouble (lots of broken bikes, not to mention bones). But as I’ve gotten older—and perhaps the teeniest bit wiser—I find the urge to ‘push it’ outside my comfort zone is diminishing. Sure, there are times when I catch myself riding hard and fast… And the thrill is quite tasty… But the sense of control, both of the machine and my ego, is rarely stolen from me.

Most certainly there is room for my skills to improve, as will likely become clear when I follow some great riders on this trip. But the true test will be my ability to ‘ride my own ride’ when the temptation to push my limits is so readily available. I think I can do it.

Or, perhaps this will be a 15mph nose-to-tail ride the whole time. Either way, I intend to make the most of it!

- Rosalia de Castro
Old 01-15-2013, 11:59 PM   #21
RobStar
Still On Training Wheels

Oddometer: 433
Rock on Shawn!

We're so proud of you and can't wait to hear the stories and see the photos!

Other than myself, I can't think of anyone more deserving of this fantastic opportunity and incredible experience.

Love you brother!

RobStar

2010 1200GS Adventure
RobStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #22
pkbinder
Helga The Red

Oddometer: 254
Shawn,I met you and your brother at your Chicago stop. I waas the only one on an 800GS. Have and epic adventure. Wring that GS's neck! I am so jealous! Paul Binder
Old 01-17-2013, 06:13 PM   #23
Leminkainen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Leminkainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:20 PM   #24
Montauk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
I can't believe this.

While I am not there in skill, if you, Lance and Dell had to teach me the basics of off-roading (Nov 10, 2012 Rawhide Day Pass), so I can't really say "you bastard", but definitely "congratulations". I would like to know how you stood with those pros, not that it will affect me in my opinion of your skill. Dude you rock either way!

Can you take pictures and post. It would be kinda getting a live feed.

Thanks for sharing your excitement.

Shawn, I just earned bragging rights for you!
Montauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:29 AM   #25
Parigi
Hoinar

Oddometer: 279
So, where is the write-up?
Parigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #26
Trek68
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Looking forward to this.
Trek68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:15 PM   #27
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,149
Old 01-21-2013, 01:54 PM   #28
ShawnWorks OP
Rock on!!!

Adventure Log 4 - First Impression: WOW.

Hiya Fellow Adventurers,

So, after 33 hours of travel and one hell of an acclimation to the +10 hour time-difference (ouch), I am finally happily and healthily in South Africa. So far we have been introduced to the R 1200 GS and accessory product lines, and had an opportunity to bend the ears of the designers & engineers with questions, questions, questions. Pretty Kickass.

I have pages and pages of notes to share and, sadly, no time to publish them just yet... As I type it’s nearly Midnight here, and I must be up in less than 6 hours to prep for a full day of riding. But I promise you, the review is on its way… In the meantime, here is a taste of what’s coming…

It is not fair to offer a judgment of the bike without riding it… But so far, color me very, very impressed. It seems the engineers made efforts to ensure this new GS improves upon just about every element of its predecessors, from the most obvious details to the nit-pickiest opportunities for improvement. As a passionate follower of the GS historical lineup, I am blown away by some of the new developments this machine will offer. Again, more on that to come.

Tomorrow, we ride the bike. …And for that matter, get to hear it running..! I’m pretty excited. The plan is to take a dual sport ride to South African parts unknown, where we will put this machine through its paces. They have been a bit vague about where we’re going and what to expect… But, we do know to pack for an over-nighter, and that “camping” is involved. Regardless, suffice to say I intend to learn as much as I can about the bike via a barrage of high-speed, on-road / off-road hammerings.

More soon… For now, please enjoy the attached video, and wish me luck on the coming ride. Rock on!

- Rosalia de Castro
Old 01-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #29
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnWorks View Post
Him: “…From the US we’re sending 5 professional journalists, and you. Just ride the bike and write about the experience. What do you think?
Where will your review be published? Or will it reside here on ADV Rider alone?

I would not stress about keeping up with the "fast guys". Remember, very few Moto Journos ride off road, and even fewer are any good at it.

My guess is ... it's YOU who will be picking them up off the ground and probably providing riding tips. After all ... that's what you do ... right?
Hope things went well!

I await the spin from the press trying to convince NOOBS that a GS is anything but a serious liability off road. But hey ... what ever works ... and generates $$$$.

South Africa should be quite an eye opener after mellow Santa Cruz.
I'm curious what your "real" job is?
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:19 PM   #30
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,710
Nice for Shawn but pretty smart of BMW to include an ordinary riding mortal in this launch effort. Plus it would be nice if the journalists too could park their egos at the door after the rides and listen to what an ordinary rider, one of us who doesn't earn his living proving himself on a bike, has to say about the machine.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote