Trials/Enduro Muddy,Icy & Snow practice session

1080-50p HD Video
http://youtu.be/CHpReS5T8h0
Jeffski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:07 AM   #2
motobene
Motoing for 44 years

Oddometer: 1,242
Nice when folks go to the trouble to record and post riding vids, so thank you. I wish thumping music was NEVER added to riding videos, however. Makes me want to flee, not watch. Be nice to hear the Jotagas all by itself as we have none of them here.

I saw some wheelies over obstacles.. a no-no. Also some late wheelies where the front tire just barely touches the pipes... when a bit more of weight-unweight Jap-Zap action would help get higher up onto the pipe so as to not get stuck. I did see difficulties starting off from a stop, and that is the main challenge of slime riding... how to get going again feet up!
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:41 AM   #3
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by motobene
I saw some wheelies over obstacles.. a no-no.
Why? Is that poor form or against the competition rules (being a noob, I have no idea)?

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:41 AM   #4
Jeffski OP
JotagasJeff

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by motobene View Post
Nice when folks go to the trouble to record and post riding vids, so thank you. I wish thumping music was NEVER added to riding videos, however. Makes me want to flee, not watch. Be nice to hear the Jotagas all by itself as we have none of them here.

I saw some wheelies over obstacles.. a no-no. Also some late wheelies where the front tire just barely touches the pipes... when a bit more of weight-unweight Jap-Zap action would help get higher up onto the pipe so as to not get stuck. I did see difficulties starting off from a stop, and that is the main challenge of slime riding... how to get going again feet up!
Hi, I do agree with the music, I love to here the bikes however so many people
keep asking for at least background music.
Hence why i keep the bikes sound on also.
Yes techniques were sketchy the weekend however it was a bit of fun & only 2 degrees temp.
Double blips all the way & your right front wheel compression is the key.
Thanks for watching!
Old 02-06-2015, 08:47 AM   #5
Jeffski OP
JotagasJeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
Why? Is that poor form or against the competition rules (being a noob, I have no idea)?
Wheelies are fine however the correct technique is - Tapping the front wheel 3/4 high on the obstacle with your 2nd burst of throttle as the front wheel compresses. Works great when you time it right even in muddy conditions.
Thanks for watching guys!
Old 02-06-2015, 05:01 PM   #6
jonnyc21
Trials ninja

Oddometer: 951
Quote:
As indicated its form, I was amazed how much it really made a difference when I started to get the form correct. Well worth the Ryan Young video, a training class and some riding buddies!

And thanks for the video.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:16 PM   #7
thegraydog
2 wheels X 6 ways

Oddometer: 655
The rider did not seem to be suffering from the wheelie, because he intended it. The problem is when you intend to tag the pipe with the front wheel but miss, and the rear wheel contact whips the front end down knocking your teeth and kicking your butt and ejecting you over the handlebars.

Mud is hard. I really need slippery training, but it's so violent and unpredictable, you know?

You do good vids, Jeffski. The natural habitat of trials is probably slime and roots, rather than the awesome big clean rocks of my province. 60 degrees F here today...
thegraydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 03:03 AM   #8
Jeffski OP
JotagasJeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc21 View Post
As indicated its form, I was amazed how much it really made a difference when I started to get the form correct. Well worth the Ryan Young video, a training class and some riding buddies!

And thanks for the video.
Thanks!
I agree the Ryan Young is a fantastic training Dvd!
Old 02-07-2015, 03:08 AM   #9
Jeffski OP
JotagasJeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegraydog View Post
The rider did not seem to be suffering from the wheelie, because he intended it. The problem is when you intend to tag the pipe with the front wheel but miss, and the rear wheel contact whips the front end down knocking your teeth and kicking your butt and ejecting you over the handlebars.

Mud is hard. I really need slippery training, but it's so violent and unpredictable, you know?

You do good vids, Jeffski. The natural habitat of trials is probably slime and roots, rather than the awesome big clean rocks of my province. 60 degrees F here today...
Very well explained with a comical twist - Nice!
As we all know Technique & constant practice is the key. However sometimes
its great just to have a little messing around
Thanks for watching & your great comments!
Old 02-09-2015, 07:34 AM   #10
motobene
Motoing for 44 years

Quote:
The wheelie-over problem is a trials Noob thing. It's also an inexperienced off-roader thing, like the angled log across the trail debacle, resulting in an ugly rear-end explosion and side-slip followed by an assholes and elbows crash.

In trials, given the slower speeds, you end up rushing at logs, for example, and on the other side of the obstacle going too fast and out of control because the rear wheel hits with the legs stiff (you are holding that wheelie, no?). And since it's a noob thing to ride with slow-reacting and stiff legs, when the rear end hits the obstacle it's like a small explosion. Up flies the protesting bike and still-legged rider, the reaction pitching one forward and scary fast. If there is a turn thereafter you are too hot and flummoxed to deal with it without dabbing or running out of bounds. One reason is the front end was up there and comes down much farther away from the log than needed or wanted.

The typical reaction is to try to wheelie over at a slow speed, but the skid plate hits for a Laugh In tricycle race tip-over.

The right technique will have you crossing that log at the lower speed, but with no skid plate hit. You'll land on the other side slowly, settled, and more horizontal, front end already in contact with the ground to be able to turn the bike.

As Jeffsky points out front wheel compression is key (I'll add: to get over obstacles slower, smoother and to end up with a more horizontal bike attitude). In most case you never want to wheelie over an obstacle because you hit too hard on the rear end and it pitches the bike forward.

This technique ranges from the front wheel kiss of the obstacle, with throttle on until the back tire hits (driving-up or over technique), to fairly high wheelie started well back with first throttle blip, then you shut off and let the front wheel and your body mass 'fall' hard into the face of the obstacle, with contact triggering the second hard throttle blip and an unweight (the Jap Zap).

There are a whole bunch of subtle variants in between, especially when you add in all the sideways stuff like floater turns and hops. It's so important a basic technique that to skip over it means you have far fewer tools in your tool box to move up in skill.

There are useful techniques to hold pressure and keep the front wheel high (as in the video thumbnail), but that is another subject.

Hope this makes some sense and helps out.

motobene screwed with this post 02-09-2015 at 07:46 AM
Old 02-09-2015, 07:52 AM   #11
motobene
Motoing for 44 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffski View Post
Hi, I do agree with the music, I love to here the bikes however so many people
keep asking for at least background music.
Hence why i keep the bikes sound on also.
Yes techniques were sketchy the weekend however it was a bit of fun & only 2 degrees temp.
Double blips all the way & your right front wheel compression is the key.
Thanks for watching!
Background music is an expected thing, like in the US, walking into a restaurant these days without 17 giant sports televisions in the face is rare. The issue may be how loud or how obnoxious. I've seen a number of YouTube vids done quite well. Fantastic and even insane skills set to complementary music. At the other end would be video of something quite ordinary, like a person walking down the sidewalk, set to thumping battlefront music. The contradiction between sight and sound is....

An then there are times when you really do want to hear engine details. Perhaps then background volume drops or the music stops. I know it isn't easy. I have one of the easier video editing packages and doing a lot with the sound is a pain.

Sometimes the native sounds are interesting enough. Let's see if this link works.... Me and my oldest son 5 years ago recovering a family friend from a broken back. The music was just the shop music. The voice-overs just recorded and futzed with. Video editing can be fun!

motobene screwed with this post 02-09-2015 at 08:18 AM
Old 02-11-2015, 01:32 AM   #12
Jeffski OP
JotagasJeff

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobene View Post
Background music is an expected thing, like in the US, walking into a restaurant these days without 17 giant sports televisions in the face is rare. The issue may be how loud or how obnoxious. I've seen a number of YouTube vids done quite well. Fantastic and even insane skills set to complementary music. At the other end would be video of something quite ordinary, like a person walking down the sidewalk, set to thumping battlefront music. The contradiction between sight and sound is....

An then there are times when you really do want to hear engine details. Perhaps then background volume drops or the music stops. I know it isn't easy. I have one of the easier video editing packages and doing a lot with the sound is a pain.

Sometimes the native sounds are interesting enough. Let's see if this link works.... Me and my oldest son 5 years ago recovering a family friend from a broken back. The music was just the shop music. The voice-overs just recorded and futzed with. Video editing can be fun!

Wow! Very informative read with great riding tips. Thanks!