User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2015, 10:34 AM   #1
2whlrcr OP
gooligan

Oddometer: 6,698
I'm Getting To Be Such a Wuss

Tomorrow is a local trials. It's already rained .75" down there. I'm seriously considering not going, because there are ravines and plenty of places for nasty mud. I know were supposed to practice in the wet, to be good in the dry, but I hate taking my nice clean bike and burying it. And it's 5 hours of driving to get there. If I stay home, I can get plenty of chores done and still ride my bicycle and trials bike in the afternoon.

I wouldn't have had this debate at 25, but I guess I'm getting old and don't care about competition as much anymore. I've turned into a fair weather competitor and I've got the same attitude for racing HS, enduros and cyclocross too. I've turned into a wuss in my old age.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:52 AM   #2
Trail Runner

Oddometer: 864
Usually when you don't want to go and you push through, it turns out to be the best time ever. 3/4 rain is perfect.
10K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 01:04 PM   #3
nwcycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,194
Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10K View Post
Usually when you don't want to go and you push through, it turns out to be the best time ever. 3/4 rain is perfect.
3/4" for you in AZ would make monsoons, Illinois its just a normal day...
Not looking forward to it either....
But I will be on a 4 wheeler taking pics
nwcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 01:25 PM   #4
2whlrcr OP
gooligan

Yea, .75" of rain in AZ means bone dry in an hour. IL means 2 feet of mud..

You better make sure your 4 wheeler is 4x4 NWCycle.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:28 PM   #5
Augdog1964
2015 BMW R1200GSA

Oddometer: 62
Maybe not

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr View Post
Tomorrow is a local trials. It's already rained .75" down there. I'm seriously considering not going, because there are ravines and plenty of places for nasty mud. I know were supposed to practice in the wet, to be good in the dry, but I hate taking my nice clean bike and burying it. And it's 5 hours of driving to get there. If I stay home, I can get plenty of chores done and still ride my bicycle and trials bike in the afternoon.

I wouldn't have had this debate at 25, but I guess I'm getting old and don't care about competition as much anymore. I've turned into a fair weather competitor and I've got the same attitude for racing HS, enduros and cyclocross too. I've turned into a wuss in my old age.

Maybe you're not becoming a wuss... but just getting smarter!!!
Augdog1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 04:04 PM   #6
2whlrcr OP
gooligan

doubtful
Old 04-25-2015, 04:37 PM   #7
Dorian
Xlg carbon footprint

Oddometer: 716
Cool2 Me too - a wussy fair weather rider

Go with your gut feeling and call it good. I used to do the same thing - pseudo agonizing over whether to go to an event/ride or do something else. I'm over it. I do what I feel like doing and let the chips fall. Plus anymore I won't drive five hours one way to ride an event of any kind; even if the weather is ideal. Others will - good for them! Been there- done that for years. Your stay-at-home-plan sounds good too (I'm 59) and you can still get in some riding Life's too short. Do what makes YOU happy! I'd like to think what Augdog says, we're getting "smarter"

Cheers, Dorian
Old 04-25-2015, 07:29 PM   #8
1fxstbi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
I'm going to miss Elmwood too, dang it! The MITA club in Jonesburg Missouri is putting on a two day trials school with Ryan Young as the instructor. It rained most of the day today but the rocky soil was still good to ride in. The guys an awesome instructor! I'll be anxious to hear how the D-17 trials goes, good luck if you go!
1fxstbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 09:19 PM   #9
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,869
Back in February we had a wet trials in AZ. 35 and rained all day. Very much a fun ride. Biggest problem for most of us, no good wet riding gear. It happens so infrequently here no one will invest in the proper gear. I mixed some stuff up and gut through it. Changed gloves on every loop. Rain pants did not survive. Legs shredded on trees and foot pegs, blew the crotch out as well. I have some new gear picked out. If I see an event coming that will be cold and wet again there will be a rush order for some new riding gear.

The bike, washed twice now. Still has some of that gunk in there. Biggest issue I had was the decals starting to peel off the rear fender.

Ride, it's a great new twist on your riding. Makes the good weather feel that much better.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:59 AM   #10
2feetdown
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fxstbi View Post
I'm going to miss Elmwood too, dang it! The MITA club in Jonesburg Missouri is putting on a two day trials school with Ryan Young as the instructor. It rained most of the day today but the rocky soil was still good to ride in. The guys an awesome instructor! I'll be anxious to hear how the D-17 trials goes, good luck if you go!
MIta i thought that club died several years ago Do they have a website?
2feetdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 04:17 PM   #11
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,201
This is a funny topic as I had the same issue with people this weekend. Our first vintage event was this weekend. Two day event, with 36 riders yesterday and more expected today. Well, it started raining at 10:30 last night( I was still at the campfire) and we had a good drizzle all night. This morning we must of had about eight riders leave, but only two more riders sign up. We started at 9:30 and by 9:45 the sky cleared up. The riders that went home or never showed up missed some very good riding. Laying in my sleeping bag I was not too enthused at 7 am with it pouring out side. So I could see both sides of this issue, but when I was younger the weather was never an issue. What a great weekend we had!
Old 04-26-2015, 07:34 PM   #12
1fxstbi
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2feetdown View Post
MIta i thought that club died several years ago Do they have a website?
No website, they are just starting up.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:03 AM   #13
motobene
Motoing for 44 years

Oddometer: 1,678
A huge variable is the riding area. Some places are survivable after a heavy rain, and other places you may never get out of if you can get in! The Bridgeport Texas event earlier this year was wisely cancelled. That place has a bad rep in the wet. The landowner knew many might not even make it to their parking spots, being like bugs wiggling in honey, so he called it.

I too hate to miss a good wet one that while sloppy, isn't just insane. Then again, there is insane, and a wise person avoids that, even if just t preserve the bike.

Craziest event I ever rode was a cross country race in the 80s near Tulsa. We drove there in heavy rain, then after the event started a cold front came in and it was sleet and ice on top of black muck. I did finish in extreme misery, getting close to hypothermia. Then when I rolled my bike off the trailer at the car wash the chain fell off. Definitely a no-repeat lesson
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:19 AM   #14
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fxstbi View Post
No website, they are just starting up.
MITA kind of has a facebook presence, they happened to have Ryan Young put on a class not long ago, or was it this past weekend?

"MITA Trials, Modern and Vintage MotoTrials for the greater St. Louis area" is what facebook group says, a couple really nice people I know from out there

Seems like her nickname was HondaGirl230 on Thumpertalk... COuld be same on this forum.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 05:25 PM   #15
1fxstbi
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post
MITA kind of has a facebook presence, they happened to have Ryan Young put on a class not long ago, or was it this past weekend?

"MITA Trials, Modern and Vintage MotoTrials for the greater St. Louis area" is what facebook group says, a couple really nice people I know from out there

Seems like her nickname was HondaGirl230 on Thumpertalk... COuld be same on this forum.
The training class was this last weekend. Ryan's awesome, it was a great class! You can check facebook, I don't use it so I don't know what is available on that site regarding MITA. (I guess I need to sign up)