Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 04:50 PM   #61
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podman View Post
Is honda finally starting to wake up
My fear is that American Honda hasn't 'woke up' and doesn't really know what we (in US market) want and is simply throwing new product on the wall in an effort to see what sticks.

If that's what they're doing .... I love it .... there have been some cool bikes added to the US line-up in the past 12 months.

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:47 PM   #62
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
A google search was unsuccessful - does anyone know what kind of service intervals this thing has?
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:00 PM   #63
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0diabl0 View Post
A google search was unsuccessful - does anyone know what kind of service intervals this thing has?

I found the owners manual online for the MSX and it recommends valve inspections every 4,000KM or 2,500mi after the first one at 500mi

So basically every oil change. Frequent but with the head out in the open like that it should take all of 10 min to do.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:07 PM   #64
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
I found the owners manual online for the MSX and it recommends valve inspections every 4,000KM or 2,500mi after the first one at 500mi

So basically every oil change. Frequent but with the head out in the open like that it should take all of 10 min to do.
WOW! Really? That's pretty frequent for what I assumed would be a low maintenance little run about. A Honda with 2500 mi valve adjustment intervals? What is the world coming to?
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #65
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,838
At the rate this thread is going, it's going to pass both the Bolt and CB1100 threads in no time. Hard to understand so much interest in a toy motorcycle, but to each their own.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:23 PM   #66
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
At the rate this thread is going, it's going to pass both the Bolt and CB1100 threads in no time. Hard to understand so much interest in a toy motorcycle, but to each their own.
All of my motorcycles are "toys"....

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:23 PM   #67
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,856
I know! The horror of it all! Hehe.

Two thing tho, It's a Honda, they are probably being overly cautious here and could probably double that without any issue. (do at your own risk) Honda Wave 125 has the same inspection interval, just checked.

And it's easy!!! Head access doesn't get any better than that unless you are on a BMW twin. Pop the inspection covers, roll the engine to the right spot, feeler gauge, boom done.

Could probably get that done while you are waiting for the last of the oil to drain out.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:34 PM   #68
YJake
Roaming

Oddometer: 317
Tubeless tires, disc brakes, EFI, reverse forks, and easy maintenance.

Damn it I wants one!

I have no practical reason to own one having a Ninja 250 sitting in my garage but I'm sure I'll find a reason...

-Jake
Old 05-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #69
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger View Post
My fear is that American Honda hasn't 'woke up' and doesn't really know what we (in US market) want and is simply throwing new product on the wall in an effort to see what sticks.

If that's what they're doing .... I love it .... there have been some cool bikes added to the US line-up in the past 12 months.
I don't think so. They have done that before (rune, hawk gt, pacific coast, gb500, vtr250, transalp, uhhh, what did I miss?)

A lot of those bikes sat in showrooms to be sold at big discounts, and some went on to become cult bikes. Cult bikes don't make Honda money.

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
available in Kindle format here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #70
OldF7Guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Lots of us grew up on bikes like this. I know I did. This is an alternative to a scooter with no gears ect. It puts the fun back in things for me for the same money or less in many cases. Well done Honda.
OldF7Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:45 PM   #71
ferrix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I think it very much depends on your perspective and location, and I don't intend this in any way as a derogatory comment, but if you lived in a dense urban environment you might find the interest easier to explain! What puzzles me on the other hand is this desire some people have to take this small, frugal bike and mod it into something it wasn't intended to be with big bore kits and so on - haven't we got enough large, powerful motorcycles if that's what you need?!? ... but as you said, to each their own :)
ferrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:46 PM   #72
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,504
I had a Honda PCX 125 for a year. Put 2600 miles on it. Had to sell it. Could NEVER get used to not shifting. I need this grommet thing. Looks like a fun ride! And I can shift!
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:36 PM   #73
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,838
Even though some measurements may see close to the Vino/Zuma 125, I see a huge difference in the riding position. The scooters have a floorboard out in front, and fairly high bars. You can sit on them like sitting on a chair, with you feet out front, knees at a 90 degree angle, and reach straight out for the bars, with a good bend in your elbows. It's a nice comfortable all day riding position. This thing has high rearset pegs, not much room between the pegs and seat, and low bars. A full sized adult would be all scrunched up on it. I have heard many say that small displacement dual sport bikes, like the DR200SE, XT225, CRF230, etc. were too small for them. This thing is tiny compared to those bikes. The DR200SE is only $1000 more, and looks like a whole lot more fun. The Honda Mini Trail (the one with the folding handlebars)was to small for an adult, but the CT70/CT90/CT110, despite their small engines, had much larger frames that did fit many adults. I had a Passport, and it was to small, I had to sit right on the back edge of the seat, and it was still really cramped. Had the same problem with a Honda Rebel 250. Pegs way to close to the seat, and I had to sit on the passenger part of the seat. And I can't see this thing holding together under a 225+ pound rider.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #74
southwade
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oddometer: 1,735
want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want
Old 05-15-2013, 08:42 PM   #75
southwade
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oddometer: 1,735