Old 05-15-2013, 09:43 PM   #77
southwade
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oddometer: 1,746
Old 05-15-2013, 10:41 PM   #78
ERG
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Currently in the lobby at American Honda...

If you are in the area.....
ERG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:28 PM   #79
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Even though some measurements may see close to the Vino/Zuma 125, I see a huge difference in the riding position. The scooters have a floorboard out in front, and fairly high bars. You can sit on them like sitting on a chair, with you feet out front, knees at a 90 degree angle, and reach straight out for the bars, with a good bend in your elbows. It's a nice comfortable all day riding position. This thing has high rearset pegs, not much room between the pegs and seat, and low bars. A full sized adult would be all scrunched up on it. I have heard many say that small displacement dual sport bikes, like the DR200SE, XT225, CRF230, etc. were too small for them. This thing is tiny compared to those bikes. The DR200SE is only $1000 more, and looks like a whole lot more fun. The Honda Mini Trail (the one with the folding handlebars)was to small for an adult, but the CT70/CT90/CT110, despite their small engines, had much larger frames that did fit many adults. I had a Passport, and it was to small, I had to sit right on the back edge of the seat, and it was still really cramped. Had the same problem with a Honda Rebel 250. Pegs way to close to the seat, and I had to sit on the passenger part of the seat. And I can't see this thing holding together under a 225+ pound rider.
Compare it to a CT110 on cycle-ergo and it's almost exactly the same configuration. The handlebars are just a little bit closer. No one who buys a bike like this wants to sit on it like a chair, that's what cruisers and cars are for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERG View Post
Currently in the lobby at American Honda...
If you are in the area.....
What, where??
edit: this place?
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:06 AM   #80
Reconstructed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
At the rate this thread is going, it's going to pass both the Bolt and CB1100 threads in no time. Hard to understand so much interest in a toy motorcycle, but to each their own.
There is the problem.

Turn off the logic center.

Turn on the emotion center.

You should like the bike much more then.
Reconstructed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:52 AM   #81
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,334
Quote:
Even though some measurements may see close to the Vino/Zuma 125, I see a huge difference in the riding position. The scooters have a floorboard out in front, and fairly high bars. You can sit on them like sitting on a chair, with you feet out front, knees at a 90 degree angle, and reach straight out for the bars, with a good bend in your elbows. It's a nice comfortable all day riding position. This thing has high rearset pegs, not much room between the pegs and seat, and low bars. A full sized adult would be all scrunched up on it. I have heard many say that small displacement dual sport bikes, like the DR200SE, XT225, CRF230, etc. were too small for them. This thing is tiny compared to those bikes. The DR200SE is only $1000 more, and looks like a whole lot more fun. The Honda Mini Trail (the one with the folding handlebars)was to small for an adult, but the CT70/CT90/CT110, despite their small engines, had much larger frames that did fit many adults. I had a Passport, and it was to small, I had to sit right on the back edge of the seat, and it was still really cramped. Had the same problem with a Honda Rebel 250. Pegs way to close to the seat, and I had to sit on the passenger part of the seat. And I can't see this thing holding together under a 225+ pound rider.
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0diabl0 View Post
Compare it to a CT110 on cycle-ergo and it's almost exactly the same configuration. The handlebars are just a little bit closer. No one who buys a bike like this wants to sit on it like a chair, that's what cruisers and cars are for.
+1

For those that want to sit like a chair, put their feet on floorboards, and not shift thru the gears, there are lots of scooters out there. For those that want the nimbleness of a scooter while having something more engaging to ride, and look tons "cooler" while doing it, there's the Grom. No it isn't for everyone, but neither is a scooter. And not everyone that rides is over 6' feet tall and weighs over 200 lbs either. There are lots of people, women for example, that want to learn to ride but have trouble with most things on the market today due to size. And then there are those like me, smaller guy, can and does ride anything he likes, but wouldn't be caught dead on a "scooter"... If I were in the market for a motorhome/camp bike, or I lived in an urban environment where a scooter would be suitable, I would definitely be in the market. And if they would make this bike in 250-300cc capacity so that it would be more road capable, I might be even more in the market as a trainer for my wife/daughters. Small, nimble bikes can have a lot of appeal if you have the right application for one in your lifestyle.

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:56 AM   #82
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,713
Reminds me of the Buell Blast.

nlp

10 Triumph St. Triple, '06 BMW F650GSA, '03 Honda XR70R, '03 Honda XR80R, '86 Honda TLR200 Reflex
NateLePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:02 AM   #83
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrix View Post
What puzzles me on the other hand is this desire some people have to take this small, frugal bike and mod it into something it wasn't intended to be with big bore kits and so on - haven't we got enough large, powerful motorcycles if that's what you need?!? ... but as you said, to each their own :)
Can't that be said of most bikes? Why do people mod any bike when there are usually more powerful, faster ones available off the showroom floor. Look at the Ninja 300R thread for example. Why did I take a stock HD 48 and modify the suspension to make it ride and corner better? Why do I want it to make more power than stock? There are tons of bikes already built that have much more power and handle far better.

I think it's just part of what some of us that ride do. And part of it is that we want a specific set of characteristics that isn't available straight from the factory, so we build something to be more of what we want it to be. In this case, maybe some of us aren't really looking for frugal transport. Maybe we see the potential for a small, light weight, nimble little hooligan runabout. Yeah! If this thing just put out a little more power...

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:27 AM   #84
Dezzie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
mmmmmmmmm ohlins, get ya wallets out lads!http://tyga-performance.com/site/pro...oducts_id=2891
Old 05-16-2013, 07:39 AM   #85
southwade
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oddometer: 1,746
Old 05-16-2013, 08:01 AM   #86
Paebr332
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateLePain View Post
Reminds me of the Buell Blast.

nlp
Only much, much more funner.

The Grom is made of concentrated AWESOME. Dilute with gasoline to provide hours of enjoyment.
Paebr332 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:23 PM   #87
Bluesmudge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Looks like the perfect replacement for the CT110 I just sold. A little bigger, a little more powerful and with modern brakes and FI. I might have to figure out a way to buy one. Looks like a fun commuter. I want to see some one kit it out like those adventure postie bikes.
Bluesmudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #88
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 834
So is this the official Grom thread? I'm trying to jump in, but I've found a bunch of threads in other categories and they seem to be getting moved (lost.) I'll just cross post here anyway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
Oh. My. God.

I want... no, NEED two of these! I don't think I've ever been so excited over a new motorcycle. My wife actually said she wants one, and that is a pretty big deal because she is usually indifferent on the matter.

Everything looks pretty awesome right out of the box, the price might seem steep to some, but coming from someone who has had over $7k in a pair of XR50's that still didn't have all the goodies that these come with, I think $3k is a deal!

I'll admit that I don't ever follow foreign markets so this is the first horizontal Honda I've seen with F.I., pretty cool. My friends and I have been on the lookout for the old Cub EZ-90's to fart around on, but these are much cooler and factory street legal. We were just talking about the 1988 ZB50 today and this looks like a very slightly larger but much improved version of that! What was the last street legal "mini" that Honda built? I want to say it was the CT70 in the early 90's?

I've always considered myself a "Honda guy" but for the first time in 18 years, there is not a Honda in my garage. This little scoot just might be what brings Honda back to my family.

This is one of my last Honda's and probably the most missed, I think GROM might fill the hole in my heart:

P.S. did I mention that I'm 6'5"?

Old 05-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #89
YJake
Roaming

Oddometer: 321
This thread really is taking off

-Jake
Old 05-16-2013, 01:44 PM   #90
Berto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
Finally, an interesting bike from Honda. the end must be near