Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 01:08 PM   #91
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
So is this the official Grom thread? I'm trying to jump in, but I've found a bunch of threads in other categories and they seem to be getting moved (lost.) I'll just cross post here anyway!
There seem to be 2 main ones, this one and the one in Battle scooters.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #92
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
There seem to be 2 main ones, this one and the one in Battle scooters.
Well, since the Grom isn't really a scooter, and is technically a street legal motorcycle, this one is obviously the "RIGHT" one....
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #93
YJake
Roaming

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Well, since the Grom isn't really a scooter, and is technically a street legal motorcycle, this one is obviously the "RIGHT" one....
It has a manual shift 4 speed gearbox and is made of equal parts WIN and WHEELIE

A scooter it is not.

-Jake
Old 05-16-2013, 01:29 PM   #94
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

I tend to agree with you on that. Manual shift and no step through, not a scooter.

However with the smaller wheels and size it appeals to the scooter rider that might not visit the road warrior forum all that much.

Easy solution, have both! Tho I think one in thumpers too would be a bit much, even though it does qualify.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:35 PM   #95
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
I tend to agree with you on that. Manual shift and no step through, not a scooter.

However with the smaller wheels and size it appeals to the scooter rider that might not visit the road warrior forum all that much.

Easy solution, have both! Tho I think one in thumpers too would be a bit much, even though it does qualify.

Granted... And I can honestly say that I've never even peeked into the scooter forum...

But, I can see it having appeal to that crowd since its uses can be very similar. Still seems more like a diminutive motorcycle to me though. Maybe they shoulda called it a "Crossover"....
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #96
YJake
Roaming

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
. Still seems more like a diminutive motorcycle to me though. Maybe they shoulda called it a "Crossover"....
Now you've done it

-Jake
Old 05-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #97
Crow OP
Corvid

Oddometer: 1,288
Too cool, want.

I'm the OP for this thread in Road Warriors, and was surprised and pleased when I saw it take off with news of availability in NA. I'm really getting excited about the moto, seriously considering putting down a deposit. Plus, I'm normally not much into modifications, but this exhaust revs me up!

Old 05-16-2013, 04:52 PM   #98
Dezzie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
A write up of guy on my forum of first week of ownership!

Mike Carpenter

Tomorrow will be 1 week and 300 miles of MSX ownership for me...
...And things are looking up
I was quite disappointed when I eventually got home last Friday with my new bike. A combination of hard seat, new engine and extreme weather didn't live up to the leisurely cruise through the rolling Welsh hills in the sunshine that I had been dreaming of since mid-February when I paid my deposit!
So here we are a week and nearly 300 miles later. The engine is loosening up nicely - after 100 miles it became a lot more responsive and smooth and I'm sure that will only improve. The seat seems to be softening up, although I haven't done any... epic tours on it as yet. I love the exhaust note as I'm cruising along - they got that spot on I would say. The seating position is very upright, but I would say my legs are a bit too long for the bike - my knees don't fit in the knee pads unless I push myself back in the seat. I did move the bars forward when I got the bike so that is maybe why but before I moved them they hit my knees and reduced the turning circle so I didn't have much choice. I removed the pillion strap because it was where I sat and was uncomfortable, but I still have to consciously push myself back so my knees are ok - I think I need to play about with the bars a bit. As far as gearing is concerned - it is spot on for me with my 16 stone and the steep hills here. Good acceleration for around town but maybe a bit low for touring. Other folks in the flatlands might decide to drop a couple of teeth on the rear sprocket. Mine is running 6000rpm at 50mph to give you an idea. 7000rpm is 60mph. Fuel economy has improved on the second fill up - 118mpg vs 100mpg for the first tank. The handling is very smooth and predictable - very much like a bigger bike, which I like. By comparison the Gorilla often left me feeling like I'd done a lap of the TT when I got in to work in the morning. This is just smooth and civilised. I'm very happy so far!

Old 05-16-2013, 09:15 PM   #99
Dav101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
MSX125 Class Racing during a Honda Sport Day

Looks like fun at a Honda Fun Day event with MSX125 Class.

I'm in my 40's and can't help but think renting a little Kart Track with these would be a great Birthday party idea. Better than a bouncy castle?

http://youtu.be/kN7IUXep8jY

Cross posted in Battle Scooters thread also.
Dav101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:01 AM   #100
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
I'm the OP for this thread in Road Warriors, and was surprised and pleased when I saw it take off with news of availability in NA. I'm really getting excited about the moto, seriously considering putting down a deposit. Plus, I'm normally not much into modifications, but this exhaust revs me up!

Ok...that clip makes it sound like a 450 mx'er.....Damn!
Old 05-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #101
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berto View Post
Finally, an interesting bike from Honda. the end must be near
Funny thing is, I see this comment all the time, but - Honda is the only big-4 Japanese company that lately does anything innovative. Look at all the different and sometimes weird bikes they have announced. I don't want all of them, but the 3 new 500s, the NC700X, CTX 700, Grom, CB1100, F6B, etc. are all a little bit out there, not mainstream bikes.

What has Yamaha, Kawasaki, or Suzuki done lately that is new or innovative? Mostly just more cruisers & sport bikes.

I like choices.

jon_l screwed with this post 05-19-2013 at 04:42 AM
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:05 PM   #102
saltspray
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Neat bike for neighborhood travels but not enough excess thrust for S FL traffic.
saltspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:33 AM   #103
DewaltDakota
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I just put my deposit down on one. The dealer said they've been getting tons of calls on it since the announcement, but I was the first to "put my money where my mouth was" and actually put a deposit down.
DewaltDakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #104
JakeS
Yup

Oddometer: 467
I am very tempted to get this for some around town jaunts and my 2 mile commute.
I may call a honda dealer next week to put a deposit. I think the girlfriend would like to learn how to use a clutch on this.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:19 PM   #105
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeS View Post
I am very tempted to get this for some around town jaunts and my 2 mile commute.
I may call a honda dealer next week to put a deposit. I think the girlfriend would like to learn how to use a clutch on this.

I gave my GF her first riding lesson with a clutch this last weekend and it went great. But it was on a CRF230F which is a lil tall for her. This would have been perfect! I can see these populating MSF courses all over the place. (among other uses of course)