User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #1
jeveretts OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
Riding a hack home

Been riding for over 30 years. I have NEVER ridden a hack.
I am looking at a Ural Patrol about 200 miles from home.
Should I expect to be able to ride this thing home on back roads?
jeveretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #2
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,311
No!
With it's steering quirks, 200 mi on a Ural is a looooong ride
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
4PawsHacienda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
I'd try it if the weather is decent enough and I'm sorta familiar with the region, allow enough time for the ride home. Remember that the rig is wide, ride in the center or left side of the lane. Allow enough distance to stop - brakes are not what you are used to but again neither is acceleration so allow for that also.
A little practice in the first available parking lot would be worth the time. A bit of ballast will be an aid - I used kitty litter at first. Traffic at first can be exciting, don't be too proud to pull over and let faster vehicle go by.
When in doubt, stop and think.
4PawsHacienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:46 AM   #4
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step

Oddometer: 10,553
tow it

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeveretts View Post
Rent or borrow a trailer. Driving a hack is a learned skill and not something you want to do on public roads under time pressure.

It is not particularly hard to learn, but the best way is to work up slowly using written reference (Hough) or take a course.

Seriously, it is very different from what you are used to and would be stressful and possibly dangerous to jump into with a 200 mile drive.

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.

Montague screwed with this post 12-16-2013 at 01:05 PM
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:23 AM   #6
norton(kel)
vintage

Oddometer: 1,042
Yes you can ride it home. Start off slow with trips around the sellers block. stay on the side streets and keep the speed down. How did all us old timers ever learn to ride/drive sidecars before all of the books, classes, etc? Slow and easy thats how

norton(kel) screwed with this post 12-16-2013 at 10:48 AM
norton(kel) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #7
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step

Oddometer: 10,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by norton(kel) View Post
Yes you can ride it home. Start off slow with trips around the sellers block. stay on the side streets and keep the speed down. How did all of old timers ever learn to ride/drive sidecars before all of the books, classes, etc? Slow and easy thats how

I've read multiple threads of long time riders having get-offs riding their new rigs home...not worth it imo...

cost me $30

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:41 AM   #8
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,554
Totally forget how long you have been riding a motorcycle. A sidecar outfit IS NOT a motorcycle any longer. It is foolish how many discussions are around comparing sidecar outfits to motorcycles.
If you can tow it home do so. If not practice in aparking lot or a safe place as much as possible. If you are getting it from a dealer they should help. If not I would not buy from them period.!
First off you need to steer right to go right and visa versa. It will want to go right when you gas it and left when you back off. You need to correct by steering in the direction youw ant to go. This is opposite from a solo bike.
If you have ridden ATVs think that you ar eon one and steer accordingly. Go in circles in a parking lot. Go left first then after some of that go to the right. Sidecar will get light feeling in right turns. Take it easy. Try braking easy them hard in a straight line. Then do so in a circle. Go easy at first.
If you decide to ride it home put some weight in the sidecar trunk area or seat. DO NOT weight the nose.
We always spend an hour or two with new sidecarists when they pick up their rigs. Even then I feel better if they trailer it home.
Don't wan tto overstate this stuff but it is important. Some will sell a rig and say " It steers funny be careful on the way home". THAT is BS and that person should not be selling sidecar rigs period. Sidecar outfits are not dangerous it is lack of knowledge that is dangerous.
Not going to apologise for being on this soapbox

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #9
mr7q
Stupid and Contagious

Oddometer: 311
In my case it wasn't a Ural, but rather a CB700 with a Velorex chair on it, and the initial experience in the parking lot made me extremely glad it followed me home on a trailer. Thirty years of riding experience is only going to make things more difficult - the only thing similar to a two wheeled rig is the placement of the controls.

If you're hell-bent on riding it home, I'd plan on at least the majority of a day in a parking lot before heading home. After that, take it extremely easy and go slow. Back roads, to me, generally mean twists and turns, not necessarily low speed, so be careful out there.

Edit: See above.
mr7q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:26 AM   #10
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,094
Ideal would be to tow it but it's doable. Allow enough time for a motel night en route if needed. Stay out of traffic and take your time. With 40 years on 2 wheels I did 1000 mile fly-n-ride from Reno to northwest WA. There "IS" a learning curve. Besides forgetting everything you thought you knew about riding Those automatic ingrained 2 wheel skills you developed over 30 years of 2 wheelers will get you killed on a hack. None of those skills transfer over so don't get over confident. You're starting over as brand new like 30 years ago. Yeah it's an ego hit that your 30 years don't count for squat and are actually a detriment, deal with it. You'll notice soon that a hack is more work than a 2wheel. You actually drive it not ride it. If you get tired hole up for night and rest. It's all great fun even as you learn but it is very different. Read the "yellow book" before you go to get an idea of a hacks handling quirks, then go do some practice drills. It won't make you an experienced pilot but you'll get a feel for what's good and what's oh oh... Only saddle time will develop the skills and muscle memory needed to survive. Scariest time on my trip home was getting out of Reno to the back roads. Keep your speeds down and practice, practice. A lot of your ride is going to depend on the bikes condition and how well the outfit is set up. If it's set up poorly it'll be an ugly ride home. On my noobie 1000 mile back roads trip I got home the 5th day. Take your time and practice as you go. My trip was in summer with longer days. I would avoid night riding till you learn well. Urals at least put out less light than a coal miners helmet lamp. If you can tow it, do it. Otherwise "take your time", every block, mile, curve, turn is a new learning experience. You're NOT going to be a skilled/safe pilot in a 200 mile run. You can certainly make a 200 mile inaugural run but don't pressure yourself with time restrictions, traffic, hwy speeds and stay within your skill level(which is essentially 'none').
Welcome to the world of hacks. Great fun!
usgser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #11
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude View Post
Totally forget how long you have been riding a motorcycle. A sidecar outfit IS NOT a motorcycle any longer. It is foolish how many discussions are around comparing sidecar outfits to motorcycles.
If you can tow it home do so. If not practice in aparking lot or a safe place as much as possible. If you are getting it from a dealer they should help. If not I would not buy from them period.!

Not going to apologise for being on this soapbox

It's doable but not a good idea, at this point you have no idea how good or bad the setup of the rig is, and chances are your first thought will be WTF did I buy this for.Trail it home read abit look over the setup and toe in and you'll have a more positive experience.DB
Old 12-16-2013, 01:09 PM   #12
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,948
Quote:
Sure, why not - I did...

AFTER I took a state-approved licensing authority's weekend training and got my license (might not be a requirement in your state).
Even then, I started with, um... 10 gallons plus a case of bottled water for ballast, and only did 100 miles the first day; made a vacation out of the trip and by the time I got home about 10 days later I felt confident enough to eliminate all but the bottled water for ballast. YMMV
Only crossed the double-yellow lines once by accident (forgot how to steer) and then there's the whole thing about 'lean-out' and the varying crown heighth on roads...
Don't forget about them 18-wheelers either!

I'm sure you'll survive - erm... I mean "be fine". I'm sure you'll be fine.
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:26 PM   #13
mmmpies
101 in a 55

Oddometer: 407
I'll see your curious and raise you ambitious...what about a 3,000 mile ride home?

Seriously, I dig the idea of getting my Road King out to Liberty in Seattle and riding it home to Washington DC after Pete's guys have attached their tub, trees, and otherwise dialed everything in. I'm planning to take an S/TEP course beforehand, hopefully on an actual sidecar rig rather than a trike. That said, I've had exactly .9 miles of riding experience on a sidecar rig, as opposed to 19 years and who knows how many miles on two wheels.
'05 BMW R1200GS
'04 BMW R1150RT
'01 Ducati M900Sie
'89 Honda NT650GT
mmmpies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #14
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,927
Not much else to add other than they steer more like a 4 wheeler than a motorcycle so 30 years of riding can be more of a disadvantage than an asset, depending on how your brain is wired.

Do you have a tow vehicle? I would go that route if possible. I trailered my first hack from PA to GA, the second two I rode home from Texas and Iowa.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #15
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,196
Quote:
And you need to do more research than just asking a question on an internet forum!
Download and read these manuals here: http://www.sidecar.com/links3.asp
Find someone in your area willing to give you some instruction, take a S/TEP class first, see if the seller will deliver it.
Personally, I'd trailer it home.
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote