User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #1
Irish John OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
BSA 441 Trials bike?

An aquaintence has a BSA 441 scrambler for sale. Considering buying it to set up for vintage trials. Anyone have experience with this bike or set up for Vintage class?
Irish John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:06 PM   #2
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish John View Post
An aquaintence has a BSA 441 scrambler for sale. Considering buying it to set up for vintage trials. Anyone have experience with this bike or set up for Vintage class?
I expect it may have been done, but the MX chassis, engine tune, etc would be a lot of work to convert and set up for trials compared to other models. Possibly a sacrafice of a nice scrambler too!
The B40 is commonly used however.

roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #3
pcmx47
n00b

Oddometer: 7
the B44 low end is a preferred unit as it uses bearings instead of the bearing-bushing lowend of the B40. My bike uses the B44 frame. The footpeg location is changed (lower and further back) , the fork angle pulled in slightly, and the tubes rising from the swingarm pivot to the backbone are cut, rotated, and tucked in at the top.It has Rickman hubs and alloy rims. I use the B40 (350) top end With a 22mm Amal carb. Using the 2 scale method for weighing the bike it weighs 216 lbs without gas
Old 03-13-2013, 06:29 PM   #4
darmst6829
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmx47 View Post
the B44 low end is a preferred unit as it uses bearings instead of the bearing-bushing lowend of the B40. My bike uses the B44 frame. The footpeg location is changed (lower and further back) , the fork angle pulled in slightly, and the tubes rising from the swingarm pivot to the backbone are cut, rotated, and tucked in at the top.It has Rickman hubs and alloy rims. I use the B40 (350) top end With a 22mm Amal carb. Using the 2 scale method for weighing the bike it weighs 216 lbs without gas

Hey pcmx47, a picture is worth a thousand words. This is from the Trials on the Isle photo taken by Les Norton.

This is my video from the Plastered Purple trials of you on the BSA.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKwx8wUXEDI

Dave

darmst6829 screwed with this post 03-13-2013 at 06:35 PM Reason: addition of video
darmst6829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:54 AM   #5
Thumpermeister
roost maker

Oddometer: 1,988
Something to consider besides all the effort and cost to convert a scrambler to trials spec is (if you don't already know) what class you would be riding the bike in at the organization you would compete? BSA 441's are technically not pre-65 class machines and are the same vintage as early Bultacos. Perhaps not even an issue in your case, but probably the reason you see more B40 and C15 based rides in trials trim...unless it is one of these.

Thumpermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:40 PM   #6
Smoke Eater 3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
I had a 441VS. I loved everything about it except hot starts. No matter what I did, if it stalled it was a bitch to get running again. Very cool bike.
Smoke Eater 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:51 AM   #7
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Not a great idea! Flywheel weight of the 441 motor is too low for trials use, and while it would have plenty of power, finding grip would be very difficult. The best possible option for BSA powered trials bike, is to get a 250cc powered bike, and convert it to 280cc using a Triumph piston. Early distributor type motors should be avoided unless you intend fitting an electronic ignition driven from the crank, but with regular oil changes the earlier motors with bush type timing side bearing are fine for trials use.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:00 AM   #8
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpermeister View Post
Something to consider besides all the effort and cost to convert a scrambler to trials spec is (if you don't already know) what class you would be riding the bike in at the organization you would compete? BSA 441's are technically not pre-65 class machines and are the same vintage as early Bultacos. Perhaps not even an issue in your case, but probably the reason you see more B40 and C15 based rides in trials trim...unless it is one of these.

The BSA B44 GP was produced from 65-67, and is commonly used in P65 MX here in the UK. Useless as a trials bike though, although there a couple of factory 441 powered sidecar trials outfits competing in the late 60s early 70s...........
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #9
Irish John OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Thanks for the input guys. Believe I'll give this one a pass.
Irish John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:32 PM   #10
Thumpermeister
roost maker

Oddometer: 1,988
Quote:
Thanks for the input guys. Believe I'll give this one a pass.
There's always vintage MX!
Thumpermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:44 PM   #11
darmst6829
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Quote:
http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/...a-trials-bike/

I don't think you are reinventing the wheel with creating a BSA 441 trials bike.
darmst6829 is offline   Reply With Quote