Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 11:42 AM   #31
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by indr View Post
Here's my hasty fuck up with a Dremel.

The extractors are turning out to be too soft themselves to get a hold of the thing. Even with the sides heated up.

Tons of WD-40 was sprayed to seep into the sides to get it to even slide but it's not working.

I'll try again tomorrow.

Assuming that dowel is staying in there, I'm thinking:

1. Grind down whatever little bit it protruding.

2. Make a similar sized hole to the left of the saddle and put the dowel in there.

Something I want to re-itterate. All the dowel is doing is holding the outer race of the shaft bearing in place so the OUTER RACE doesn't spin. I don't know what the pressure is like when the crank case is rejoined, what if I used some gasket material on the saddle just before installing the shaft. Clamped down with the case shut, would that be enough to provide a force to hold the outer bearing from moving?
3mm or so hole in the dowel you say ?

i've made extractors (smalllll bearing pullers) that work great for small things:

imagine 1/2 of a nail, slip it down the hole, and move one way so the nail head catches the back edge of the dowel/bearing/whatever.

then another 1/2 nail, also slipped down in, allowed to catch on the opposite side of the back edge of the dowel/bearing/whatever.

drive a small (piano wire sometimes, yikes this is small!) down between them. this not only forces a LOT of pressure on the 'nail' heads, but also keep them from slipping and turning while you...

glue the assembly to a regular puller bolt. weld works too, but for tiny stuff weld can kill the elasticity of the metals. then, with plastic pads against the machined surfaces that matter, put a regular puller against the face of the case and begin turning (pulling) the screw. a little head, a little penetrating oil, and even 20 year old dowels will come free. patience is a virture.

i hope someone aritistly inclined can draw a picture, cause my explainations suck.

oh, just saw your picture. good lord, find a machinist, quick, and put down the tools ! (not an insult, a helpful suggestion) :)
Old 01-14-2013, 05:47 PM   #32
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
oh, just saw your picture. good lord, find a machinist, quick, and put down the tools ! (not an insult, a helpful suggestion) :)
Too late for that. I dont' see any way to unFUBAR that bearing support.
troidus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:57 AM   #33
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
Find a good welding shop, add the lost material back with filler and re-machine to spec.

This, of course, will cost more than a full case in good condition.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:57 AM   #34
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
i'm not so sure that piece is toast, looking again. that's barely half of five degrees of material. so long as the rest of it is round, it should wear just fine for a long time. is that portion directly in line with the stroke of the piston ? if not, it wouldn't bother me to run it as is.

you could even fill it and file it however you liked, to prevent stuff from getting in the gap and swarfing up the crankshaft.