User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
GoinRidin OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
950 SE suddenly lost power, no noises,

Any threads on this subject? My tapatalk search isnt good.
My SE and I finished about 110 miles and suddenly lost power. Didn't die but I "think" may have quit on a cylinder. .. but I haven't gotten that far in diagnosing. I changed water pump seal about 1200 miles ago but saw some white in sight glass so immediately assumed I messed up the seal and water contaminated oil clogged oil filer... but drained every thing and oil looked good and all screens were clear. And filter didn't look real wavy and oil was fairly translucent. There were no noises when it started and though the day had some 70-80mph spurts I was tooling along in a neighborhood when this happened.

Its a 07 950 SE with 8500miles and 1200 since water pump seals, 400 miles since bean fuel pump mod. And 1200 since last synthetic oil change. 2000 miles on plugs and jetting.

Ill take tank off soon and start looking around more soon but got to work tonight so itll have to wait. .. Just making a plan.

Edit: White in sight glass looks like condensation on Walls of Oil tank. nothing separated out of the oil I drained as of now...will let it sit overnight. (oh wait it'd be on the bottom of my Big Black Oil Bucket, Dang, I guess I'll have to sample it some how in the AM). Anyway I think its just an incidental finding?

GoinRidin screwed with this post 01-11-2013 at 06:16 PM
GoinRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:38 AM   #2
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,606
Foaming in the site glass is nothing unusual. Unless the seal is nonexistant you are likely to notice water in the oil at the filter first.

If you are dropping a cylinder it should be a pretty easy troubleshoot.

1. Make sure you got de FIRE.

2. Make sure you got de FUEL.

I had similiar (but not identical) issues when one of the coil connections was not completely seated. Only reared its head offroad in the rough stuff. Took some time to get it sorted but no worries now.
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
Dustodust
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 752
when you turn on the key can you hear the fuel pump cycle ?
Old 01-12-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
buzybraza
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
I don't mean to be an asshat but 110 miles out of a stock tank! You are probably out of fuel.
buzybraza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
JOKER650
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said.
I can only get about 80 MILES / 130k on a tank

Over 2000 plated dirt riders...Digg'n up the dirt every other day, all over BC

http://www.dualsportbc.com/
JOKER650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:35 AM   #6
GoinRidin OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Water Pump seal was culprit. Oil filter was wavy. I used tape when installing the seal over the shaft but the were two notches where the tape didn't work. New seal, and oil and filter and its 100% again. And the shaft was really protected this time.
GoinRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:24 AM   #7
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 9,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinRidin View Post
Water Pump seal was culprit. Oil filter was wavy. I used tape when installing the seal over the shaft but the were two notches where the tape didn't work. New seal, and oil and filter and its 100% again. And the shaft was really protected this time.

I don't see what the corellation between the water pump seal/coolant in the oil issue has to do with loosing power??? If you lost power because of this condition, you have some really major problems, like bearings compromised.

If you found this issue, corrected it and then the bike runs fine, I would say it was coincidence and you still have a problem waiting to arise again at some point.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:47 PM   #8
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman View Post

I don't see what the corellation between the water pump seal/coolant in the oil issue has to do with loosing power??? If you lost power because of this condition, you have some really major problems, like bearings compromised.

If you found this issue, corrected it and then the bike runs fine, I would say it was coincidence and you still have a problem waiting to arise again at some point.
I agree with this 100 %, you have other issues, check your power/wires to your coil tops, check to make sure they seal as well.

If your bike still drops one cylinder a quick way to see which is the culprit is disconnect the coil wire to see if it drops that pot or makes no difference.

Possible a plug is failing but normally they are either good or not.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is online now   Reply With Quote