User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2009, 10:30 AM   #1
knuckledonkey OP
Crikey!

Oddometer: 66
Question Mount GPS above cluster on 990 Adventure

I really like the RAM mounts, but all their site shows is the bar mount solution.

I want to mount my Zumo above the clocks, behind the windscreen. I've seen it in pictures, but am not sure how to do it.

Tips?
knuckledonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:30 AM   #2
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,636
Touratech
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:44 AM   #3
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Ram makes a panel mount that works on top of the ADV dash. That's what I used, after re-inforcing the area from underneath.
http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResu...5/Default.aspx

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem screwed with this post 05-21-2009 at 10:53 AM Reason: Added Images
cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:48 AM   #4
azkiwi
message in a bottle

Oddometer: 9,156
I have a Lowrance XOG which came supplied with a plastic bracket. I also provided some reinforcement underneath and it has held up just fine.

azkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:01 AM   #5
knuckledonkey OP
Crikey!

Oddometer: 66
But all requires drilling into the cover, I assume?
knuckledonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:08 AM   #6
Wolfhound
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Yes - drilling is required. But - I managed it and am truly crap at this sort of thing!! KTM has an adapter mount that works with the Touratech mount (this part bolts to the cockpit subframe). They sell damped and non-damped ones. I went for the damped and it works great.
http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/show.lasso?SKU=065-0142&-session=touratech:47287E89079e81C359OKw1CA94F7
http://ktmtwins.com/950adventure/040-0662.html

Enjoy - Wolfhound
Wolfhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:05 PM   #7
Helmet Head
Have bike, will travel...

Oddometer: 455
Click thumbnails for bigger pics

I just got the basic RAM ball mount with a diamond plate base and bolted it to the top of the dash:

I use one of these double ball-socket arms as it's easy to adjust in all directions:

This is the view from the rider's position:

"Today I accidentally stepped on a snail on the sidewalk in front of our house. And I thought, I too am like that snail. I build a defensive wall around myself, a "shell" if you will. But my shell isn't made out of a hard, protective substance. Mine is made out of tinfoil and paper bags."
Helmet Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:50 PM   #8
godtfred
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Touratech mount.

The Touratech holders are rock solid and takes many gps models including the zumo, it comes in aluminum and black versions, with or without lock. They are rubber mounted to reduce vibration:

Here it shows a GPS mounted, unfortunately they did not have a picture of your zumo model on the site.

There are two mounts, Touratech's non adjustable version and KTM's adjustable version:
Touratechs:

KTM's:

I have KTM's version with a rubber mounted holder for my 276 Garmin GPS, its the unlockable version as it makes the GPS sit a bit lower, but still makes all readouts visible even tough I'm medium-tall.

Installation is super easy. There are picture as well as text instructions following the product showing how to do it. You remove the tanks/side panels, as well as the front wind screen (all you need to do is remember what bolts you took out of where), you can see all bolts you need to remove on the outside of the bike. When they are off, you mount the lower part to the front "sub-frame" in existing holes, then you drill holes through the top panel (can't remember the size) and mount the top part through. Attatch everything again... Simple and quick. I used perhaps 45 minutes (and I'm no mechanic.)

godtfred screwed with this post 05-21-2009 at 01:00 PM
godtfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:24 PM   #9
sunsurfnride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by godtfred
The Touratech holders are rock solid and takes many gps models including the zumo, it comes in aluminum and black versions, with or without lock. They are rubber mounted to reduce vibration:

Here it shows a GPS mounted, unfortunately they did not have a picture of your zumo model on the site.

There are two mounts, Touratech's non adjustable version and KTM's adjustable version:
Touratechs:

KTM's:

I have KTM's version with a rubber mounted holder for my 276 Garmin GPS, its the unlockable version as it makes the GPS sit a bit lower, but still makes all readouts visible even tough I'm medium-tall.

Installation is super easy. There are picture as well as text instructions following the product showing how to do it. You remove the tanks/side panels, as well as the front wind screen (all you need to do is remember what bolts you took out of where), you can see all bolts you need to remove on the outside of the bike. When they are off, you mount the lower part to the front "sub-frame" in existing holes, then you drill holes through the top panel (can't remember the size) and mount the top part through. Attatch everything again... Simple and quick. I used perhaps 45 minutes (and I'm no mechanic.)

+1 on the Touratech, just installed in on my 990.
GLDS
sunsurfnride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:42 PM   #10
BobbyC
n00b

Oddometer: 1,353
Quote:

KTM's:

This is the Touratech mount. KTM sells it but it's made by TT.

"I LOVE my bike!!!"
BobbyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:46 PM   #11
godtfred
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyC
This is the Touratech mount. KTM sells it but it's made by TT.
I thought touratech stopped making that one under their own brand name... could not find it on the TT site anymore (but could obviously be wrong!)
godtfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:57 PM   #12
BobbyC
n00b

Quote:
I thought touratech stopped making that one under their own brand name... could not find it on the TT site anymore (but could obviously be wrong!)
Touratech 950/990 adapter

"I LOVE my bike!!!"
Old 05-21-2009, 02:50 PM   #13
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,004
I have the touratech mount. It works well but the unit shakes so bad in the dirt that you cant really read it. However, thats probably a good thing because if it didnt have that kind of suspension on the mount itself the Zumo cradle would be toast from off road riding in short order.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:02 PM   #14
BobbyC
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster
I have the touratech mount. It works well but the unit shakes so bad in the dirt that you cant really read it. However, thats probably a good thing because if it didnt have that kind of suspension on the mount itself the Zumo cradle would be toast from off road riding in short order.
You need to be up on your pegs if it's shaking your gps that badly.

Did you install the rubber feet under the mount?

"I LOVE my bike!!!"
Old 05-21-2009, 06:00 PM   #15
nunzo
nunzo

Oddometer: 280
Question My Zumo tachometer

This may sound weird but....1)I have my zumo mounted to the dash behind the shield on my 08 990. I installed a reinforced piece of aluminum mounted to the headlight frame assembly when I had the bike apart. This brace definitelysecures the dash due to weight and vibration. 2) I used a Ram mount with rubber between the base of the mount and the dask.

The weird thing is that when i am tooling around in gear (NOT 1st GEAR) and my revs get to around 2800-3000 the vibration of the zumo mandates a downshift to the next lower gear and at 3000 rpm or higher, the unit has no vibration is as smooth as glass (kind of).

I assume others expereince a smoother ride at higher revs and by keeping the bike in the 4000-6000 range.
nunzo is offline   Reply With Quote