Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 05:34 AM   #16
Flydream
King of the Atlantic

Oddometer: 357
I bought the rallye 3, 40% of in my Country ( the 2013 is coming soon ).
Very nice suit, you should check!
Flydream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:41 AM   #17
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
You might want to look for a used BMW Rallye3 jacket in the fleamarket. You can find them in the $500 range. Venting is outstanding on that jacket as is protection and visibility. Comfort is second to none if you can find your size. The liner is "waterproof" but I have recently discovered that the lower sleeves are less then perfect on a longer trip (2 hours in the rain). With the liner in, I can ride in temps in the 50's pretty easily. If it is raining and cold, a heater liner is required and that also takes care of the shortcoming of the damp liner.

ETA: It is possible that new Rallye3 jackets will soon be discounted as well. The above poster is correct that the new Rallye4 is coming in about 2 months.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:32 PM   #18
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,535
I've been following this thread with great interest. I have to say that I can't believe some of you have actually ridden in Florida year round with some of the suggestions I've seen, because if I'm not in mesh, I'm just about going to die at every traffic light. I run hot anyway, but its unbelievable, the humidity is just awful. So for me, it's mesh, and if it rains I just try to hunker down behind my windshield. No standard textile jacket could ever vent enough for me, but I know mesh isn't a great solution for rainy days, or road rash protection, for that matter.

I don't know if the is a way to be comfortable down here other than in January or Febuary.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:48 AM   #19
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorTroy View Post
I've been following this thread with great interest. I have to say that I can't believe some of you have actually ridden in Florida year round with some of the suggestions I've seen, because if I'm not in mesh, I'm just about going to die at every traffic light. I run hot anyway, but its unbelievable, the humidity is just awful. So for me, it's mesh, and if it rains I just try to hunker down behind my windshield. No standard textile jacket could ever vent enough for me, but I know mesh isn't a great solution for rainy days, or road rash protection, for that matter.

I don't know if the is a way to be comfortable down here other than in January or Febuary.
I used to think the same way you did until I read this article: http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/i..._62-66_Hot.pdf

Mesh is in fact cooler but also dangerous. Vented is the only answer if you're going to be on the road for more than 30 minutes at a time. As for "comfort" at a traffic light or heavy traffic, there is nothing comfortable. Hell, standing on the sidewalk in shorts is uncomfortable in high heat and humidity.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:15 AM   #20
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorTroy View Post
I know mesh isn't a great solution for ... road rash protection, for that matter.
Motoport mesh kevlar gear is better protection than race leathers. My Motoport suit has more body armor in it than my Syed custom race leathers. And the mesh kevlar is significantly stronger than leather.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:21 AM   #21
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
Vented is the only answer if you're going to be on the road for more than 30 minutes at a time.

I call BS on that. That article is talking about Long Distance riding. Not 30 minutes. Mesh is perfectly fine in any temps found in North America for at least a couple of hours.

I did multi-hour rides last summer in my mesh gear when my GS' onboard air temp gauge was showing as high as 113F (in the Sacramento area). There is NO WAY I would have wanted to do that with my Roadcrafter suit on!
Old 01-16-2013, 08:11 AM   #22
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
I call BS on that. That article is talking about Long Distance riding. Not 30 minutes. Mesh is perfectly fine in any temps found in North America for at least a couple of hours.

I did multi-hour rides last summer in my mesh gear when my GS' onboard air temp gauge was showing as high as 113F (in the Sacramento area). There is NO WAY I would have wanted to do that with my Roadcrafter suit on!
39 ounces of perspiration in one hour. Can you drink enough to compensate for that? On a short ride, I'm sure that isn't a problem. I did use the "30 minute" figure in an arbitrary way because I have a commute that is between 35 to 60 minutes and the worst I've experienced is a headache by the time I get home on those very hot and humid days here in VA.

Like you, I would also avoid something like the Roadcrafter on very hot days. That is not what the article suggests. The article suggests a vented suit. Roadcrafters are a lot of things but well vented isn't one of them. The Klim Badlands is. So is the BMW Rallye 3 and others. Some air is allowed to flow but not so much as to dehydrate a person in short order.

Of course there are other solutions and things to consider. A large fairing is going to send less air over your skin even with a mesh suit. Fast riding as opposed to slow riding will accelerate evaporation. A mesh suit might be just fine in a lot of situations. The more I look into it, the more I'm leaning toward a vented suit for hot days.

Do what makes sense to you. My post was in response to AviatorTroy who was giving advice that could be contrary to what the original poster really needs.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:14 AM   #23
Flydream
King of the Atlantic

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
I used to think the same way you did until I read this article: http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/i..._62-66_Hot.pdf

Mesh is in fact cooler but also dangerous. Vented is the only answer if you're going to be on the road for more than 30 minutes at a time. As for "comfort" at a traffic light or heavy traffic, there is nothing comfortable. Hell, standing on the sidewalk in shorts is uncomfortable in high heat and humidity.
Great article, thanks
Flydream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:22 AM   #24
bradluke0
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Hi all ! I just bought a Tourmaster Transition 3 dualsport jackets for both me and my son . For $188 dollars each and free shipping hard to go wrong . They have zip out liners and the vents flow a ton of air , I also like the longer cut (especially in the back) . There is body armor on the shoulders , elbows and back . The armor is removable and the jacket is machine washable . It was really hard for me to justify more money as this jacket is awesome .
bradluke0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:32 AM   #25
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,451
According to my experience, genuine Gore-Tex can't be matched for water proofing and breathability. Take a look at Klim Latitude- it has big vents, waterproof in its shell and comes with no thermal liner which you don't need in Florida anyway.
It is within your budget and has a pretty good armor.

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:48 AM   #26
TBDucatista OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Lots of replies, lots to think about, and I have been checking out every suggestion on this thread. Starting to open up my budget range a bit. Also glad to see some of the hot weather discussion taking place. I have often been a "it's too hot for gear beyond gloves and a helmet" guy during the summers here, but trying to be smarter about it now. As an aside, has anyone ever found a cool vest or shirt that actually works? I live in a swamp, and there will be times when I'll have to bring a change of clothes to the office, but what about those months outside of June/July/August? Haha Do any of these cooling vests actually live up to the marketing?
TBDucatista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:28 AM   #27
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by genka View Post
According to my experience, genuine Gore-Tex can't be matched for water proofing and breathability.
Have you tried the Motoport Aerotex?

I have the MP Aerotex liners and I have an Aerostich Roadcrafter (genuine Gore-tex) and an Aerostich Darien jacket and pants (genuine Gore-tex).

I find the MP Aerotex to be noticeably superior to the genuine Gore-tex for breathability. They are both waterproof.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:38 AM   #28
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Quote:
39 ounces of perspiration in one hour. Can you drink enough to compensate for that? On a short ride, I'm sure that isn't a problem. I did use the "30 minute" figure in an arbitrary way because I have a commute that is between 35 to 60 minutes and the worst I've experienced is a headache by the time I get home on those very hot and humid days here in VA.
Of course there's no way to know now, but I am skeptical that your headache in that situation was due to dehydration. Unless maybe you were already borderline dehydrated before you even started your ride. As I said earlier, I have spent most of my life living and riding in north Florida. I built swimming pools for a while, which involved being down inside a hole with a white sand bottom, with no breeze and no shade, for hours at a time, during the hottest parts of the summer. I feel like I have a fair amount of experience with heat and humidity, both riding and not. I have ridden across Death Valley in June wearing a Roadcrafter suit. I have raced Hare Scrambles in north Florida in the middle of the summer. I ran 14 sprint races at Roebling Road in Savannah in one weekend in July (it also gets HOT and HUMID in Savannah). I have ridden in the Sacramento area in 110F+ temps for multiple hours at a time.

I guess the most to-the-point thing I can say is that the most comfortable, and, by FAR, the safest, gear I personally have found and used, for the conditions the OP asked about, is Motoport mesh kevlar. Of course, YMMV.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:10 PM   #29
switchback
Eatin' Dirt Since 1982

Oddometer: 1,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatureCore View Post
Teiz Sahara, perforated cordura, super fabric, and sastech armor. Combine that with a paclite goretex shell that can be had on eBay under 100 rather easily and your golden. A water proof liner will boil you in fl humidity if you can't remove it. If it is raining its a pain to put a liner on easier to throw a water proof shell over your jacket.

store.teizms.com/sahara
Nice, I have not seen that model till now.

Wind is strong and cold
Rain blurs the winding road ahead
I live on two wheels
switchback is offline   Reply With Quote