User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
Zuendapp OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Chain, what brand to buy

Hi to all,I am new to trials and the used 2005 Montesa I purchased. the chain is near toast. First it looks like a lite duty chain? I am used to offroad where you buy the heavy duty style / "O" ring.My question, what am I looking for in a trials chain?Any brands / higher quality can you recommend?ThanksTerry in Pa.
Zuendapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:49 PM   #2
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,455
On a trials bike, it is better to stay away from an o-ring chain. For piece of mind a medium priced standard chain is fine. Just make sure you have the same master link spare as all chains are not equal. An o-ring chain is heavy and power robbing for a bike that goes slow! I usually go through two chains for a pair of sprockets, sounds strange but true.
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:17 PM   #3
jonnyc21
Trials ninja

Oddometer: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
On a trials bike, it is better to stay away from an o-ring chain. For piece of mind a medium priced standard chain is fine. Just make sure you have the same master link spare as all chains are not equal. An o-ring chain is heavy and power robbing for a bike that goes slow! I usually go through two chains for a pair of sprockets, sounds strange but true.
I myself like the newer X or T ring chains as they have much less friction, closer to a non ring chain. The 1/10 of a HP extra they take to run is a non issue for me, the 3+ times longer lifespan in abrasive/sandy conditions is however worth it to me.

And considering I have yet to see a non o/x-ring chain produce any advantage over an o/x-ring chain on a dyno I will keep using them.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:16 PM   #4
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,455
Has nothing to do with horse power. Just try pushing it!
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #5
jonnyc21
Trials ninja

Oddometer: 871
I will keep my X-Ring, thanks any way.
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:52 PM   #6
wb22rules
Bourbon Tester

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
I really noticed that recently with my bike, once the O-ring chain got a little gummed up due to me spraying Bell Ray chain lube on it every third ride it was like the brake was dragging bad. Trying to move the bike around was a chore. Once I cleaned the chain it still has enough drag to stop the bike from coasting on level ground relatively quickly, but it is not as bad as it was. I will probably try a chain without O rings next spring when I replace the chain and sprockets just to see what it is like to be able to coast more than 8 feet. Granted I will probably have to do more cleaning and lubing, but I will give it a try as the chain on the bike now is like a permanent brake being applied. When I am going downhill with the clutch in, the bike tries to stop way quicker than it should just due the chain drag. If the newer O ring chains offer way less resistance I may try one of those, but I would really like to be able to coast downhill without the drag, and if that means an non O ring chain and more maint, I am good with that. I loved O ting chains when they came out when I rode Moto X, but the drag when rolling downhill at 2 mph is noticable, whereas the drag on a moto X bike was not.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:07 PM   #7
DerViking
Shred

Oddometer: 311
I have not had much trouble with my non o chain. They last well, stretch pretty slowly compared to, say, an XR650. I wire brush then wipe mine, then re oil and wipe. I like the Bel Ray, but scrub it off pretty often.

I got mine from the dealer. Not as cheap as could be, but is very high quality. I am on my second chain and sprocket set on an 07 300, that has been ridden quite a bit on trail, which I think of as harder duty than trialsin.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:03 AM   #8
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Exactly. I always use non-oring chains on my 200cc and less dirt bikes and will use one on my trials bike too for the reason you describe.