Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Europe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2011, 05:36 PM   #1
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

Oddometer: 467
Kosovo - is it really all that dangerous?

I've got a trip planned for September with 2 other riders.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725070

Our route takes us from Southern Serbia through Kosovo and then into Montenegro.

I've been told that going into Kosovo is a big no no.....can I get some ideas from locals if it's really that bad of an idea?

Thanks
Old 12-22-2011, 11:08 PM   #2
russ2dogs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Plenty of information here that may help you decide:
http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-.../europe/kosovo
russ2dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:20 AM   #3
SixDays02
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialAgentNancy View Post
I've been told that going into Kosovo is a big no no.....can I get some ideas from locals if it's really that bad of an idea?

Thanks
Well, it is quite a mess down there since Kosovo declared its independence.

So, massive road blocks (especially in northern Kosovo), UN presence and constant tensions/violence between parties is a regular thing.

Although i hate stereotypes about "dangerous" countries, i would mind Kosovo right now because of the current situation but also because, well, there isn't much to see. I was down there in 2004 and, contrary to great southern Bosnia and even greater Montenegro, Kosovo is flat, boring and, back then, with a expensive road insurance (Green Cards aren't valid in Kosovo).
Old 12-23-2011, 01:13 AM   #4
francs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Skip Kosovo.
It's cheaper and faster to go around.
You never known when the situation can change.
francs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:45 AM   #5
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,713
Rode Southern Kosovo this year from Macedonia to Albania. Lovely people, beautiful country (spoiled slightly by the amount of litter) and great roads (115 through the "Sharr" National Park).

Not flat and boring in my experience:

Prizren seemed to be quite a "happening" town. I experienced no road-blocks, no hassle, kids waving as I rode by, cheap insurance (€15.00) helpful border officials; all-in-all a cool place that I enjoyed immensely albeit just for the day I was there. YMMV, of course.

Just don't try to enter Serbia from Kosovo if you didn't enter Serbia before and stay out of the North East of the country and around Mitrovica.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN

Wildman screwed with this post 12-23-2011 at 03:21 AM
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:06 PM   #6
attila
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Rode in Kosovo two times in 2011, nothing special related to any danger. The place is avesome, a huge basin surrounded by mountains, you'll have to pay for insurance at entrance, we payed 19 Euro each 'cause EU green card is not valid in Kosovo. Somehow, the road down from the border is a bit narrow and barely avoided a collision with a tourist bus in a u-turn.
If you'd like to avoid that much distance just to get here in Easter Europe, try to get in touch with Antonio Esculca from Lisabon, he can suggest a solution for this, as they already tried it out.
attila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:19 AM   #7
ArturS
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hi friends, we finished a trip through Kosovo a half of year ago (July 2012). Definitely, we diddn't find any danger, even the police (including border police) is friendly and helpful, though we broke speed limits sometimes....
Albanian people in Kosovo are real friends and respect guests very much. We put tents in Brod for free, used the Internet for free etc.

Riding is possible almost everywhere, for instance in National Parks, footpaths, even private areas sometimes. FREEDOM, in one word

More details, including photos and videos - see our website: szarpanina2012.dualsport.pl
ArturS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
ebel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Spent a day in Kosovo a few months ago on honeymoon (yes need to write a proper ride report). Didn't have any hassle at all. Entered from Montenegro (near Berane / Rožaje), went down to Pej then overnighted in Prizen. Next day went to Macedonia via the Јажинце ( Jažince ) border crossing. Twasn't flat at all in our experience, lots of mountains in Kosovo. Had to pay the €15 at the border to get in. Border was guarded by puppies. They use euro which is helpful. Things were dirt cheap. Nice hostel in Prizen (City Hostel), was able to leave our bikes at a neighbouring car wash / parking thingie overnight for €10. Beer was about €1 a go. Though the ATM gave me a €100 note, first time that's happened, but was able to use it to pay for dinner later. Lots of Albania flags around (seriously *lots*). Had no hassle from anyone, there was a bit more beggars around and clearly a poor area of europe. We only had a short time there, so only took main roads. Roads were quite good.

I've heard it can be troublesome getting in to Serbia afterwards with a Kosovan stamp on the passport, and that the northern section is lawless and the current kosovan government doesn't control it.

Here's a video of some helmet cam footage we shot of Kosovo. Start is the border crossing & going down from it, and ends with approaching the Macedonia border.

While riding we took a few short "video check ins". Here's our one for Kosovo:

ebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:17 AM   #9
nomadb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
I have spent copule of days in Macedonia and had plans to go to Prizen as well.
When I realised Skopje is worth more than a day I had to cancel Prizen.

Macedonia was beatifull, lot of mountain roads, great people. Nobody warned me about Prizen at all. Actually I was advised to go there now that I was so close.

Regards

Burak
nomadb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #10
MikeTheMechanic
Tsiki?

Oddometer: 77
You have to know that if you have your passport stamped from Kosovo then you won't be able to get in Serbia and vise versa.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:52 AM   #11
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheMechanic View Post
You have to know that if you have your passport stamped from Kosovo then you won't be able to get in Serbia and vise versa.
Unless you entered Kosovo from Serbia. If you entered Kosovo from Albania, Montenegro or Macedonia, then you are correct.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:40 AM   #12
duibhceK
duibhce Kaelann

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
Unless you entered Kosovo from Serbia. If you entered Kosovo from Albania, Montenegro or Macedonia, then you are correct.
That should become less and less of a problem now that Serbia and Kosovo have opened joint border controls: http://www.dw.de/serbia-kosovo-imple...ols/a-16443038