User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
Jamie OP

Oddometer: 1,220
Question Recommend an elliptical

I'm looking to replace an old Pro-Form elliptical that's been junk since he day we brought it home. You know, the 300.00 jobs. Lesson learned.

Moving on, I'm looking to replace it with a quality unit that will be well worked. I'm looking to spend up to $ 1300 on one either new or gently used as a clothes rack. Please chime in with a specific brand and model that's been tried and true or ones you'd avoid.

TIA!
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,213
I bought the wife a Nordictrac audio strider a couple of years ago and we love it. We have had zero issues with it and use it several times a week, even more in the winter.

Quiet, stable, sturdy and has adjustable stride length.
Rider_WV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #3
Jamie OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV View Post
I bought the wife a Nordictrac audio strider a couple of years ago and we love it. We have had zero issues with it and use it several times a week, even more in the winter.

Thanks, I'll check it out!
Old 09-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #4
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,664
I will give you one to steer clear of.

Smooth fitness Agile DMT.

It is a good machine but the assembly is total shit. I have had to replace multiple plastic pieces that where assembled WAY to tight and eventually tried to fall off or just broke. It has a 5 year warranty and I am pretty sure once that is done, it will be scrap. They have other issues as well.

I would say steer clear.

http://www.smoothfitness.com/ellipti...ooth-agile.htm

I see the warranty is up to 7 years, still not good enough.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:33 PM   #5
forrestlaw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
We have a SOLE E35 that is about a year old. Bought it at Sears for about $1100. Gets used almost daily by my wife and 3 or so times per week by myself. No complaints, so far. It's been great as long as you do the required maintenance (clean and lube the tracks every few weeks).

Whatever you get I would get a mat to go underneath it (vibration dampen, keeps carpet fuzz out of the wheel housing, etc...)
Old 09-15-2013, 06:13 AM   #6
TwoBigCats
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV View Post

ditto. the integrated heart monitor and integrated speakers are crap, but the unit works great.
TwoBigCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:29 AM   #7
motoracer51
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
Head on over to Bodybuilding.com and search the forums. They know their cardio equipment.
motoracer51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:10 PM   #8
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,973
We bought our Precor elliptical new about 18 years ago. It's been used on average 3 times a week since then. No problems, works great.

They are Gym quality and expensive. I'd go for any Precor model, used.

When my body hurts and I can't run or I don't have time for a bicycle ride or if it's too damn cold, I use it. A really good low impact workout, imo.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:40 AM   #9
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,598
Several weeks ago, my wife drops her laptop in my lap (no pun intended), and says "I want an elliptical machine".

She is checking out $1,200 - $1,500 machines....given her track record of not using stuff once she gets it, I instantly start putting on the brakes.

Hey....did you check craigslist I ask?

Of course not, I like spending your hard earned money on stuff I won't use...was her response (at least, that's what I heard in my head).

I jump onto the local craigslist, and do a quick search...bingo! Find a machine that looks brand new, and just 15 minutes away. I check and it is a $1,500 machine, and they are only asking $425.

I call...the owners wife says "I can't wait to get this thing out of my living room!". Bingo again....that means they are gonna let it go cheap.

We drive over, and the machine is like brand new. I hold out $300 and they take the offer.

We bring the machine home, I get a buddy to help me haul it to my workout room in the basement (machine weighs a ton...it is really well made).

It has now been 2+ weeks, and she has yet to even try it out.

Yeah...this story is of no help to you, but it had to be told.

Maybe the moral of the story is to check craigslist first.
Yooper_Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:05 PM   #10
joefromsf
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper_Bob View Post
Maybe the moral of the story is to check craigslist first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC View Post
We bought our Precor elliptical new about 18 years ago. It's been used on average 3 times a week since then. No problems, works great.

They are Gym quality and expensive. I'd go for any Precor model, used.
I'll echo what these guys said. Get a used gym quality Precor Elliptical off of Craigslist. In 2007, I bought a used Precor EFX546 for $950 and have been using it 2-3 time a week ever since with out any problems. It was the exact same model I had been using at the YMCA prior to my purchase.

Before I bought it I was doing some research and saw a Consumer Reports article on consumer grade Elliptical machines. They basically said most were junk and you'd need to spend close to $1000 to get something they would call "acceptable". Spending less than $1000 on a used $5000+ gym machine was a no brainer.

Warning, the gym machines are big and heavy.

We can't crash an infinite amount of times, so you better learn from every one! (by ARZ)
joefromsf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:39 PM   #11
Jamie OP

All great input. Thanks for the wisdom. And the winner is...

Most likely a used Precor. I like these for the lack of complicated features but robust build quality. Parts seem to be abundant. I'm a little weary of laying down a lot of money for something without a warranty, but I can fix anything.

In the event I can't find a decent Precor in a timely manner, I'll probably go for a Nordictrack Audiostrider or a Sole E series. Both are well regarded.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: