User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #76
Ken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 57,198
Golf GTI or Volvo C30 or SportWagen TDI or...

I think it's something like :ymca , :ymca 'er , and :ymca 'est

The modern liberal is the stupidest human being to have ever lived!
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:41 AM   #77
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post

Did you know the Z4's claim to fame was that it started bmw's infatuation with "flame surfacing"? Of course you did.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:56 AM   #78
Ken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 57,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
Did you know the Z4's claim to fame was that it started bmw's infatuation with "flame surfacing"? Of course you did.
Of course I did.

Well, I do now that I've researched it

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/bmw-z4-car-news

The modern liberal is the stupidest human being to have ever lived!
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:21 PM   #79
rivers
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
...waiting for this to arrive later this year:

Mazda6 with diesel option.

"The 2.2-litre diesel, with a whopping 310 lb-ft of torque (estimated) will surely be a hit. Because rest assured, O’Sullivan and his gang know that Mazdas can’t command BMW prices. So look for the diesel to come in less than $30,000, right there with the rival Volkswagen Passat TDI diesel base price."

"Both engines will be offered with six-speed manual or automatic transmissions."

rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:19 AM   #80
Thinc2
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,510
^^^^^
Thinc2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:11 AM   #81
Ko OP
Observant as never

Oddometer: 1,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post

Nothing wrong there

Back on topic, today it's about trying a Focus- rented quite a few Fords lately, but no Focus go figure. Not a big fan of all those gizmos, but have to try it.

Ko

Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:14 AM   #82
Ko OP
Observant as never

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivers View Post
...waiting for this to arrive later this year:

Mazda6 with diesel option.

We were actually thinking to sell the Element and buy an CX5 - back in the days when the CX5 was supposed to get the 2.2 SkyD and the Element was not crashed. Now if they brought the wagon....

Unfortunately, we need a hatch/wagon for dogs- don't know how to logically justify this given that in the van they both sit in front...

Ko

Old 01-18-2013, 05:38 AM   #83
yeroc40
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko View Post
Nothing wrong there

Back on topic, today it's about trying a Focus- rented quite a few Fords lately, but no Focus go figure. Not a big fan of all those gizmos, but have to try it.

Ko
I was about to post if you had checked out the new Focus. I just bought a 2012 in October and am really enjoying it. SE sport package, winter package, Sync, moonroof, and 5-speed. Everything I wanted and was 3-7k less than simlarly equipped VWs. So far a steady 31mpg in mixed winter driving and its barely broken in.

edit: I just saw your concern about gizmos. Opt for only the Sync package not the MyFordTouch. It's the MFT that has been getting a lot of complaint and causing issues. Sync gets you the bluetooth connectivity without all the touchscreen crap
yeroc40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #84
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I believe the C30 was discontinued, after '12, in the US.

Here's a link. Seems they made them up to Dec '12 and what's out there is it.
Took a look at one of the Polestars at my local dealer tonight. It's a very nice looking car in the flesh and I love the blue. Unfortunately it's an automatic and the four other C30R's he has are also auto's, which doesn't help me. I want a stick.

He did confirm that they're not making anymore. If he can locate me a manual and does a killer deal I'm very tempted. The C30 may not be as cutting edge as all the Euro hot hatches we don't get here, but I think it would be a fun and unique car to own.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #85
Ko OP
Observant as never

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
Took a look at one of the Polestars at my local dealer tonight. It's a very nice looking car in the flesh and I love the blue. Unfortunately it's an automatic and the four other C30R's he has are also auto's, which doesn't help me. I want a stick.

He did confirm that they're not making anymore. If he can locate me a manual and does a killer deal I'm very tempted. The C30 may not be as cutting edge as all the Euro hot hatches we don't get here, but I think it would be a fun and unique car to own.
Today's salesman made me repeat twice that we want a manual

Unfortunately, the C30 is off our list. In flesh it's so tiny I know it's a small 2-door, but other than the front seats which are nice, everything is smaller than it should be (i.e., the trunk is high, the roof line is low, etc).

Ko

Old 01-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #86
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,569
Quote:
Today's salesman made me repeat twice that we want a manual

Unfortunately, the C30 is off our list. In flesh it's so tiny I know it's a small 2-door, but other than the front seats which are nice, everything is smaller than it should be (i.e., the trunk is high, the roof line is low, etc).

Ko
It does have very handsome lines though.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:35 AM   #87
Ko OP
Observant as never

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
It does have very handsome lines though.
If my dogs were able to stand in it, that car would be parked on our driveway right now

Anyhow, our saga continues- it's been a long time since I looked at small-ish cars in detail. We looked at so many cars I lost track. Of course, when two people have to decide on one singe car, things get messy.

One goes- wow, the RVR has locking diff, teh loaded version didn't look that cheap, like it!
The other person- wow, teh hanster-mobil, love it... it didn't help that the Soul had almost exactly same dashboard material as the now defunct Element, that rubbery slightly sticky feel... Somehow that was the first car we test rode, and I hate to say it, but I liked it
It was well planted- ensured I tested that out by ramping teh poor thing on some well known entries/exits. The salesman who came with us got VERY quiet in the begining, he slowly warmed up and acknowledged he never realised how planted the car was Liked the manual transmission, and even the smaller 1.6 felt lively and fun in the city.

Also liked the Sportwagen, yeah, big surprise... we might go that route if give up on the small car idea.

Then, the world came to an end- before that we checked quite a few more cars, but came away unhappy with the interior space, Sportwagen excepted (we used to have smaller cars before, but it's been more than 10 years since our last one, and our sense of space kind of changed). So, end of the world- you know it's not good when the salesman says 'my mother has one of these' Bloody hell, I must be half her age, at least We stumbled upon a B200 Turbo, yes, an MB... Last MB I had was a bit bigger, as in a cargo van... My wife liked teh B200, it's simple yet elegant, not too MB but still a step above in feel over other small cars.

There are pros and cons with this little big B200:
Pros:
- very lively, and not just for what it is. I was surprised that a CVT can function so well with a turbo. No whine, I guess that's both a pro and con, but I had to be carefull not get too carried away with the gas pedal
- VERY spacious inside
- flat folding rear seats- a big plus after teh Element with its flat floor
Cons:
- noisy- the little bugger had quite a bit of a strange road noise coming from the rear quarters (not tire noise, just noise generated at highway speeds). I am not sure if this was discernable because there was virtually little to none coming from the front, or what.
- being an MB
- premium fuel

So right now we're trying to decide whether this would be a good car for us or not...

Ko

Old 01-23-2013, 08:27 AM   #88
Ko OP
Observant as never

B200

Now, for those who don't know what a B200 looks like, here are some pics of this oddity... This is a 2009 I believe.

real wood...

the cavernous trunk...

Old 01-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #89
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler

Oddometer: 1,741
Quote:
We were actually thinking to sell the Element and buy an CX5 - back in the days when the CX5 was supposed to get the 2.2 SkyD and the Element was not crashed. Now if they brought the wagon....

Unfortunately, we need a hatch/wagon for dogs- don't know how to logically justify this given that in the van they both sit in front...

Ko
did you check out the CX-5 in person? i'm interested in checking one out, but unfortunately it looks like they only offer manual trans in the base level, stripped down model. i thought mazda wanted to be a "driver's car?"
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:40 AM   #90
Ko OP
Observant as never

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancowboy View Post
did you check out the CX-5 in person? i'm interested in checking one out, but unfortunately it looks like they only offer manual trans in the base level, stripped down model. i thought mazda wanted to be a "driver's car?"
We did, and it's anything BUT a small CUV/SUV/whatever.
As we sadly found out, a 'driver's' car doesn't mean manual transmission anymore. I prefer that over a tiptronic/etc.
The CX5 and its 2.0 150someHP is anemic in a car of this size, it's nothing to write home about the CX5 in the base level, GS I think.

Edit- a Kia Soul was much more fun to drive than a CX5.

Ko

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: