ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 11:46 AM   #91
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer
 
NikonsAndVStroms's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Oddometer: 34,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko View Post
We did, and it's anything BUT a small CUV/SUV/whatever.
As we sadly found out, a 'driver's' car doesn't mean manual transmission anymore. I prefer that over a tiptronic/etc.
The CX5 and its 2.0 150someHP is anemic in a car of this size, it's nothing to write home about the CX5 in the base level, GS I think.

Edit- a Kia Soul was much more fun to drive than a CX5.

Ko
Ouch, I test drove one and I just couldn't deal with driving it day in and day out. The 2.0 has decent power (and you can get it with a standard in mid level trim) but the handling sucks.
__________________
Motorcycles save lives


"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:35 PM   #92
azcycle
Chihuahua Wrangler
 
azcycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Oddometer: 704
Looks like you've already written off the C30 but I have to give kudos to our 2010 that we've had about a year. It's the wife's fun, runabout and we both love it. The suspension is a bit soft but it still corners well, and the turbo gives it enough kick to make it very fun off-the-line.

Yes, it is small and has some blind-spot issues. And with my lead-foot mileage hovers about 19mpg. Now that we've had our baby boy, my wife has to take my Jeep with the baby seat (baby in daycare on-site at her job) and I SUFFER taking the C30. We did put the baby seat in the Volvo for one short trip and while it works, it's not fun.

I also like that it's still rather unique on the road. VW's are a dime-a-dozen.

Vroooom!

__________________
1981 BMW r65 - Photos
azcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:01 PM   #93
Ko OP
Observant as never
 
Ko's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: a spot in the prairies
Oddometer: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by azcycle View Post

I also like that it's still rather unique on the road. VW's are a dime-a-dozen.

Vroooom!
If it wasn't a space issue, that car was at the top of our list!

JNRobert, don't know if it applies to US, but Volvo Canada had a one year rental deal- i.e., they rented out a bunch of C30s, and after one year they got them back and offered them up for sale with an extended warranty of 6 years/160k km.

Ko
__________________
no snowflake ever feels responsible for the avalanche...

Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #94
Ko OP
Observant as never
 
Ko's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: a spot in the prairies
Oddometer: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
Ouch, I test drove one and I just couldn't deal with driving it day in and day out. The 2.0 has decent power (and you can get it with a standard in mid level trim) but the handling sucks.
Different strokes for different folks It's definitely not a Passat- like ride...

In motorcycle terms, my comparison between those two vehicles is based on my preference for a motard over a Goldwing

Ko
__________________
no snowflake ever feels responsible for the avalanche...

Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #95
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer
 
NikonsAndVStroms's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Oddometer: 34,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko View Post
Different strokes for different folks It's definitely not a Passat- like ride...

In motorcycle terms, my comparison between those two vehicles is based on my preference for a motard over a Goldwing

Ko


I had some fun with it the other day.....the thing has very, very little body roll for a car of that class and tracks great just it's on cheaper tires; that plus the cold weather made for an interesting few moments
__________________
Motorcycles save lives


"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:26 PM   #96
CA_Strom
Cunning Linguist
 
CA_Strom's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: The Temples of Syrinx (So. CA)
Oddometer: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by azcycle View Post
Looks like you've already written off the C30 but I have to give kudos to our 2010 that we've had about a year. It's the wife's fun, runabout and we both love it. The suspension is a bit soft but it still corners well, and the turbo gives it enough kick to make it very fun off-the-line.

Yes, it is small and has some blind-spot issues. And with my lead-foot mileage hovers about 19mpg. Now that we've had our baby boy, my wife has to take my Jeep with the baby seat (baby in daycare on-site at her job) and I SUFFER taking the C30. We did put the baby seat in the Volvo for one short trip and while it works, it's not fun.

I also like that it's still rather unique on the road. VW's are a dime-a-dozen.

Vroooom!
+1 on that. When I had my 2011 C30 R-design, it turned heads wherever I went. It was black/black and debadged, so most had a "WTF is that?" look on their faces. The best was going to a local high end restaurant with a buddy of mine. He was driving his Porsche Carrera 4s, and me in my lowly $28k C30... The valet parked my Volvo up front next to a Bentley, while his 911 went down the street into the garage.
__________________
"It was exciting, and funny later, but nerve-racking at the time -- adventures suck when you're having them" - Neil Peart, Roadshow.
CA_Strom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:12 AM   #97
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler
 
urbancowboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Laughing at Jerks in NYC
Oddometer: 1,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko View Post
We did, and it's anything BUT a small CUV/SUV/whatever.
As we sadly found out, a 'driver's' car doesn't mean manual transmission anymore. I prefer that over a tiptronic/etc.
The CX5 and its 2.0 150someHP is anemic in a car of this size, it's nothing to write home about the CX5 in the base level, GS I think.

Edit- a Kia Soul was much more fun to drive than a CX5.

Ko
that's disappointing. the car mags made it sound better:

"The steering is quick and crisp, body motions are held tightly in check, and the ride is purposely firm underfoot. This is the SUV for those who promised they’d never stoop to driving one."

quoted from here:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

seems like it's hard to find the "perfect" hatch/wagon/small suv that is fun to drive and decent on fuel in the $24k to $30k range.

bmw x1 looks cool, but only available with automatic transmission.

subaru offers stick shift in lots of models, but the WRX is the only one that's fun to drive. i test drove one and really liked it, but i drive too much (20k/year) to put up with that kind of fuel efficiency. especially with premium gas.

maybe they'll make a sportier version of the xv crosstrek. or maybe mazda will improve the cx-5 for next year.
__________________
bmw makes motorcycles now?
smugmug coupon code fMX8CMi5nSlps will save you $5 at the best photo hosting site on the internets. you can almost buy a beer in nyc with that. your welcome.
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #98
Ko OP
Observant as never
 
Ko's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: a spot in the prairies
Oddometer: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancowboy View Post
that's disappointing. the car mags made it sound better:

"The steering is quick and crisp, body motions are held tightly in check, and the ride is purposely firm underfoot. This is the SUV for those who promised they’d never stoop to driving one."

quoted from here:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

Keep in mind that my butt-o-meter might have a different perspective I tested those cars as similar as I was able to my former Renault Alpine 5 turbo, rally prepped. That's not how a normal driver would drive those cars...

In all fairness, between those vehicles is quite a bit of a weight difference, I believe 2700lb vs 3300lb, power being the same- I think.


Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancowboy View Post
maybe they'll make a sportier version of the xv crosstrek. or maybe mazda will improve the cx-5 for next year.
Well, that's our hope as well. Actually, I plan on trying next few days the Mazda 6. I like its looks, and we might buy one with the diesel option.

Long story short, we're not buying any of our initial options, we're waiting one more year, and make due with a Passat 1.8t for now. My wife liked the B200, which you can't get in US, too bad cause it's a ncie car for those not willing to go the true MPV route, but the 2013 version beats the older one hands down in every department, so it's not worth buying the older version now.

Damn too many choices

Ko
__________________
no snowflake ever feels responsible for the avalanche...

Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #99
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!
 
RocketJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Denver Metro
Oddometer: 11,286
Being in Canada, I'd want AWD. Audi A3?
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #100
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer
 
cogitate's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: North of the Border, CA
Oddometer: 4,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Strom View Post
+1 on that. When I had my 2011 C30 R-design, it turned heads wherever I went. It was black/black and debadged, so most had a "WTF is that?" look on their faces. The best was going to a local high end restaurant with a buddy of mine. He was driving his Porsche Carrera 4s, and me in my lowly $28k C30... The valet parked my Volvo up front next to a Bentley, while his 911 went down the street into the garage.

Nice, but you actually let someone park your car? Last time I did that, the guys who parked it must have beat the shit out of it, the transmission broke the next day. It was a little weird shifting on the way home, the valet had a shit eating grin on his face when he dropped it off to us after our meal.

I called the restaurant and they said they were not responsible. Never again!
__________________
bikeless.

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:51 PM   #101
NSpooner
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Kansas City
Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitate View Post
Nice, but you actually let someone park your car? Last time I did that, the guys who parked it must have beat the shit out of it, the transmission broke the next day. It was a little weird shifting on the way home, the valet had a shit eating grin on his face when he dropped it off to us after our meal.

I called the restaurant and they said they were not responsible. Never again!
A few weeks ago I went out to dinner with my wife and I dropped her off at the door before parking since it was cold out. I told the valets I was parking myself and one goes "damn! I wanted to drive it!" I said that's exactly why I was parking it myself and they had a good laugh. I was driving our Mini Cooper S. Not the fastest thing in the world but it's a blast to drive.
NSpooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #102
JNRobert
Breaking Wind
 
JNRobert's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Bay Area, California
Oddometer: 9,217
A nice R-Line C30 (2011) came up at my local dealer. I took it for a spin and was very impressed. I loved the car. As it happens, they have a practically new Polestar available too.

If it wasn't for the completely classless hard nosed attitude (I think this particular dealership is a throwback to the '80's) I would have one or the other in my drive now. How do these dealerships stay in business

The car itself was fantastic. It's a shame Volvo isn't selling them anymore.
__________________
Crusader of Slack
JNRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:20 PM   #103
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer
 
NikonsAndVStroms's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Oddometer: 34,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
A nice R-Line C30 (2011) came up at my local dealer. I took it for a spin and was very impressed. I loved the car. As it happens, they have a practically new Polestar available too.

If it wasn't for the completely classless hard nosed attitude (I think this particular dealership is a throwback to the '80's) I would have one or the other in my drive now. How do these dealerships stay in business

The car itself was fantastic. It's a shame Volvo isn't selling them anymore.
Well then feel no shame in taking them for every penny off you can get. Do the research and find every thing you could nickle and dime them on to lower the price and do it also bring a few k down so they know you're serious to take delivery right away.
__________________
Motorcycles save lives


"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:13 PM   #104
Sp4rks
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Texas
Oddometer: 190
Mazda 3i touring? That's what I got after my wreck(Fuck people who text and drive while going 50 in a 30). Or a speed 3 if you want something a bit faster.

__________________
2002 KTM 125sx:
Acerbis Uniko handguards, KTM Powerparts skidplate, FMF Shorty Exhuast, FMF Fatty Expansion Chamber, Renthal Sprockets, Renthal Chain, Pirelli Hard Terrain tires, SDG Seat, Acerbis and UFO plastic.
Sp4rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:22 AM   #105
R-1150-RS
Beastly Adventurer
 
R-1150-RS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Where ever, Ontariariario
Oddometer: 5,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko View Post
with the market the way it is right now, it seems easier to get that included in the price one way or another. I used to laugh at people buying this, but these days I am seriously considering it.

Ko
Seeing how most extended warranties are NOT through the manufacturer (what do they know) but rather through a third party, many find they are not worth the paper they are written on. Do some research first, as many of these companies have a reputation of voiding coverage if they can find any excuse to do so. (Oh, you did some of your own maintenance? Do you have a license to do that oil change there is no record the dealer performed, and you 'claim' you did...??)

Also, the industry seems ripe with scam artists who collect all those warranty fees then fold after a few years.

What I find hard to justify is the dealers make large margins and commissions selling these third-party warranties. What little premium that is left that is going to the insurer (That's what it is after all) which also has to cover their overhead and marketing costs before dollar one goes to paying out any warranty claims.

I've heard you have to sometimes fight pretty hard to get some of them to pay anything, and then its only a portion of your repair costs.

Extended warranties are often not the security blanket they are portrayed as.....

Gary
:) :)
__________________
- "Beware of the man who won't be bothered with details.........." - William Feather
- "A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight and understanding" .......- Marshall McLuhan
- Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.......... - Martin Luther King, Jr.
- The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
R-1150-RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014