User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #1
beochie OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
bmw f 800 st my only insurace option?

I need a bike for commuting, fun, and weekend touring. I'd like good gas mileage, wind protection(Michigan gets cold way too early), FI, and reliability. The bmw f800 st seems to check the boxes and insurance is 40 bux a month.

If I were to get the "S" model it jacks it up to $54. WTF!!! every other bike, like the VFR is $80 a month..thats nuts.

What other bikes should I be looking at that insurance wont bankrupt me.
beochie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:21 PM   #2
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,857
Well I used to work for an insurance company so maybe I can chime in here.

First of all every company is different. Some base it on displacement only, others take the type of bike into account as well.

State Farm goes by displacement only and I'm sure others do too. Get quotes from as many companies as you can on what bike you really want. Do not let insurance cost alone determine what bike you ride.

Say you really want that VFR, but your current company has it priced out of reach. Quote that bike with other insurance companies and see what you can find.

As to why the S model is more expensive with less plastic than the ST, you have to look at the market. Its billed as a sportier option, therefore a greater risk of riding faster, more claims, etc.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:34 AM   #3
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
The VFR is going to be super expensive any way you look at it. It's a sport bike, and they are a very high risk proposition for any insurance company. I had a 1500 Goldwing insured with Dairyland/Sentry for about $65 a year (minimum liability only) and a Kawasaki EX500 Ninja insured with the same company. It cost more than twice as much. Why? Because it looks like a sportbike and has the Ninja name. it is in a high risk group. Around here, about 90% of all sport bikes get crashed in the first 5 years. I got that from an insurance agent. Full coverage on a 1000cc sport bike would cost me about $1500 a year, and I'm 54 with a perfect record.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:59 AM   #4
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
The VFR is going to be super expensive any way you look at it. It's a sport bike, and they are a very high risk proposition for any insurance company.
Nope.

I have a VFR, I'm with State Farm, younger than you, and I pay $220 every 6 months for full coverage with 500 deductibles on the comp. and collision. Basic liability only would be around $180 every 6 mos.

There is really NO WAY TO TELL without getting a quote from a company.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka

LuciferMutt screwed with this post 07-03-2013 at 08:24 AM
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:29 AM   #5
Emperor Norton
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
The VFR is going to be super expensive any way you look at it. It's a sport bike, and they are a very high risk proposition for any insurance company. I had a 1500 Goldwing insured with Dairyland/Sentry for about $65 a year (minimum liability only) and a Kawasaki EX500 Ninja insured with the same company. It cost more than twice as much. Why? Because it looks like a sportbike and has the Ninja name. it is in a high risk group. Around here, about 90% of all sport bikes get crashed in the first 5 years. I got that from an insurance agent. Full coverage on a 1000cc sport bike would cost me about $1500 a year, and I'm 54 with a perfect record.
Depends on the company, I paid less for a Ducati 1198SP with Statefarm than Geico wanted for my F650GS.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #6
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,916
My FZ6 is cheap to insure (599cc, State Farm).

Get some quotes, from a few different companies.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:43 AM   #7
Drummer
BMW/Sonor

Oddometer: 117
I was with Allstate but switched to Progressive. Their yearly bill is much less than Allstate and I increased some of my total liabilities while keeping my deductibles the same. I have no idea what they will be like when it comes to an accident, but so far, I'm happy.
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #8
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
I was with Allstate but switched to Progressive. Their yearly bill is much less than Allstate and I increased some of my total liabilities while keeping my deductibles the same. I have no idea what they will be like when it comes to an accident, but so far, I'm happy.
I recently switched my Sportster from State Farm to Progressive. I kept the same coverage and deductibles, added roadside assistance, and still cut my premiums in half. I haven't had a chance to compare quotes on my other bikes, vehicles, home owners, etc. but plan to soon. I've had State Farm on everything for about 35 years but even my agent admitted that Progressive had really good rates on bikes.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:31 PM   #9
Nuggz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
I did a progressive online quote. $75 a year for a 2008 FZ6 for liability only.
08 KLR 650 SOLD
08 Yamaha FZ6
Nuggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #10
jas67
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 793
I'm 45 years old. I pay about $76/year for full coverage (liability, comprehensive, and collision) on my '96 VFR750. I've got a $1,000 collision deductible, and $100 comprehensive. I also have $3k "accessory" coverage (luggage, and personal safety gear).

This is one of four bikes on the policy. If it was the only bike, it would be a little over $100 per year.

Check your liability limits on those quotes. Sometimes lowering those to something reasonable (like $100k instead of $500k) can help a lot.
Honda: 01 VFR800, 76 CB400F, 68 CL175, plus other vintage Hondas.
2007 Vespa GTS250ie
jas67 is online now   Reply With Quote