Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 06:26 AM   #1
gec343 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 807
2014 Subaru Forester vs 2013 Honda CRV

The new totally redesigned 2014 Subaru Forester is due in March 2013. Anyone have opinions as to how it will compare to the 2013 CRV? Lot's of information on the internet, but looking for opinions here. The Forester will have the CVT automatic transmission.

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
gec343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:43 AM   #2
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 2,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by gec343 View Post
The new totally redesigned 2014 Subaru Forester is due in March 2013. Anyone have opinions as to how it will compare to the 2013 CRV? Lot's of information on the internet, but looking for opinions here. The Forester will have the CVT automatic transmission.
I just bought a 2013 since they were making room for '14's. The Subaru AWD system kicks ass. It's built from the ground up to be an AWD system. The Honda I don't know much about, except it's probably added on to a FWD system. The new engine has timing chains instead of a belt now, and is DOHC. Power is okay, but unless you get the turbo it's not fast by any means. Some are reporting oil consumption so that's something to be aware of. I like mine, it's got all kinds of room and I think it's quite comfortable.

I've never really liked Hondas all that much. They were always rather bland to me. Steering way too vague, clutch way too light, etc. I know they are as reliable as a rock, but they never did anything for me. But I have always enjoyed European cars where you feel connected to the road. My Impreza felt like a European car. The Forester is lacking that a little bit, it feels more Japanesey to me. But build quality so far seems pretty good and if the reliability of my previous Impreza is an indication I'll have this one for a while. Good Luck with whatever you decide to get.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:48 AM   #3
frazman
Post***ern Redneck.

Oddometer: 1,852
Quote:
The Forester will have the CVT automatic transmission.
Will prolly be a shit-ton better than my '11 Forester with the four-speed. Love the vehicle, starting to really despise the transmission. Thankfully it has the sport shifting mode...

Any body style changes?

frazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #4
gec343 OP
Studly Adventurer

Yes, some body change, a little larger, etc. However, the towing limit with the CVT will be 1500 pounds, which is lower than the 2013.

http://www.gizmag.com/2014-subaru-forester/25304/

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
Old 01-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #5
SJSharkfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 656
My opinion on CVTs.

Hate them, wont buy another car with them.

I bought a '10 Nissan Rogue. with a CVT. While the CVT was fine during the test drive, it has come to drive me crazy. It takes way to long to "down shift". Borderline dangerous if trying to pass a slow vehicle on a two lane road. If you have ever driven a manual with a slipping clutch, you'll know the feeling.

The new Subie might be different. Give it a good hard work out before you buy it.

BTW, I have a '10 Nissan Rouge for sale.

Dave
'02 R1150GS ADV "The Tank"

"I fire up the willing engine,responding with a roar.
Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

"Red Barchetta" By RUSH
SJSharkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:05 AM   #6
gec343 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharkfan View Post
My opinion on CVTs.

I bought a '10 Nissan Rogue. with a CVT. While the CVT was fine during the test drive, it has come to drive me crazy. It takes way to long to "down shift". Borderline dangerous if trying to pass a slow vehicle on a two lane road. If you have ever driven a manual with a slipping clutch, you'll know the feeling.

The new Subie might be different. Give it a good hard work out before you buy it.

Yes, your complaint is common with the new CVT's. Apparently, that "slipping clutch" sensation is a characteristic of CVT's. It would take some getting used to, not doubt!

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
Old 01-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #7
gec343 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrfytr View Post
I just bought a 2013 since they were making room for '14's. The Subaru AWD system kicks ass. It's built from the ground up to be an AWD system. The Honda I don't know much about, except it's probably added on to a FWD system. The new engine has timing chains instead of a belt now, and is DOHC. Power is okay, but unless you get the turbo it's not fast by any means. Some are reporting oil consumption so that's something to be aware of. I like mine, it's got all kinds of room and I think it's quite comfortable.

I've never really liked Hondas all that much. They were always rather bland to me. Steering way too vague, clutch way too light, etc. I know they are as reliable as a rock, but they never did anything for me. But I have always enjoyed European cars where you feel connected to the road. My Impreza felt like a European car. The Forester is lacking that a little bit, it feels more Japanesey to me. But build quality so far seems pretty good and if the reliability of my previous Impreza is an indication I'll have this one for a while. Good Luck with whatever you decide to get.

I agree with your opinion that "Hondas seem bland". The Forester has character, where the Honda does not. Also, that oil usage on Foresters bothers me somewhat. Does your 2013 use oil??

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)

gec343 screwed with this post 01-13-2013 at 10:37 AM
Old 01-13-2013, 10:46 AM   #8
gatling
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,206
I have a Subaru and it is the finest car I've ever owned. We've owned Hondas and Acuras and they are fine cars, too, but they are boring in my opinion. I think you would be pleased with your decision if you purchased a Subie.
'10 California Scooter (my Baja Blaster!)
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:02 AM   #9
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 2,636
Quote:
I agree with your opinion that "Hondas seem bland". The Forester has character, where the Honda does not. Also, that oil usage on Foresters bothers me somewhat. Does your 2013 use oil??
So far no oil usage, but only 1000 miles so far. I will be monitoring it closely though.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #10
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,402
Quote:
Unless they've made the CR-V much quieter, we own the 2008, go with the Subaru. Our Honda is a great car and will last many, many, miles but the road noise is offensive.
Hannda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:16 AM   #11
gec343 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda View Post
Unless they've made the CR-V much quieter, we own the 2008, go with the Subaru. Our Honda is a great car and will last many, many, miles but the road noise is offensive.
Thanks for that information, but in 2012, Honda addressed that noise issue with the CRV. In fact, extreme road noise is why I'm selling my 2010 Pontiac Vibe AWD. I did test drive a 2013 CRV, minimal road noise.

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
Old 01-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #12
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by frazman View Post
Will prolly be a shit-ton better than my '11 Forester with the four-speed. Love the vehicle, starting to really despise the transmission. Thankfully it has the sport shifting mode...
I've spent a couple of hundred miles driving my bud's Outback with the CVT. The crap-o-matic in my old Outback was better, and it was horrible for premature upshifts and delayed downshifts. Mine didn't have the sport shift as it was the pre 2005 generation car. The pussification of America has almost erased manual trans availability.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #13
falconati
baller

Oddometer: 651
If those are the only two options, get the Subie. If you're open to other options, the new Ford Escape redesign is awesome. I rented one for a week and could absolutely live with it.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:16 PM   #14
kfalls_rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharkfan View Post
My opinion on CVTs.

I have a 2011 Outback with the CVT and like it. I never thought I would buy a CVT but they have come of age; 13,000 miles so far and am very happy with the decision. I really appreciate the CVT when using CC, no kick down on the slopes/hills, just smooth motoring.
kfalls_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:12 PM   #15
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 39,624
Dated and dry, but it does show the differences in AWD if that matters to you.

and a bit easier viewing...

From what I've read (emphasis read not experienced) many of the 2013 CVTs are much improved over previous generations. But, that isn't Subarus. and it seem like Suby often lags a bit in Transmissions.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: