ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #16

Oddometer: 5,297
We have an '11 Impreza (for another few days) and an'11 Outback. The CVT in the outback is great. Yeah it feels like the clutch is slipping when you stick your foot into it but that all goes away when you move the stick to "M" and use the paddle shifters. I really love that car but one thing I will say is a major turnoff is the road/engine noise. Both of them a very loud and I was really surprised the the two aren't much different considering one is a 5sp econobox and the other is a "Premium".

The AWD system in these cars is fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflow
conformity makes better taxpayers.
13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:05 PM   #17
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,396
I've been kicking around the idea of getting a New Forester, I like that you have the option for a Manual, nothing else has that option in its' "class". Reseal value for them around here is unbelievably high. Not sure if I totally dig the new styling over the old, seems like the CVT and sheetmetal are the biggest changes. I've driven the 1st gen Forester quite a bit and I really liked it a lot, I literally couldn't find any gripe about the car other than you have to hear everyone say "Nice Lezbaru" .

Never once have I or would I consider getting a CRV. A few people here at work have them and they are just butt ugly looking to me and have the stigma as being driven by middle aged cat ladies. I'm sure it's a reliable and capable automobile but no thanks.

Pics of the new 2014 Rav-4 actually look surprisingly good especially since Toyota is normally the most bland of bland in terms of styling.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:58 PM   #18
RockyRaccoon
Found:Gideon's Bible

Oddometer: 59,954
I think the 2014 Forest with the 6-speed manual will be kick-ass. Too bad you can't get it with a turbo, which comes with the automatic CVT only.

First gear on the new Forester will be slightly lower than on the current 5-speed manual, and the 6th gear will be higher than the 5th gear on the current manual trans, so an ideal setup in my book.

The RAV-4 was nice with the 6-cylinder, but they've discontinued that.

I'm sure the Honda CRV is nice, but I really don't like the styling.

“It is a far, far better thing to have a firm anchor in nonsense than to put out on the troubled seas of thought.” -- John Kenneth Galbraith
RockyRaccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:17 AM   #19
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,554
I guess there is no normal auto? Starting the shopping to replace the wifes minivan. I don't like cvt. Active cylinder management is also on my list of things to avoid. I just want a basic auto, normal old tech motor, leave all the latest gee wiz techno cap off it.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:08 AM   #20
RockyRaccoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
and a bit easier viewing...

That's pretty cool

“It is a far, far better thing to have a firm anchor in nonsense than to put out on the troubled seas of thought.” -- John Kenneth Galbraith
Old 01-15-2013, 08:33 AM   #21
RockyRaccoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
I guess there is no normal auto? Starting the shopping to replace the wifes minivan. I don't like cvt. Active cylinder management is also on my list of things to avoid. I just want a basic auto, normal old tech motor, leave all the latest gee wiz techno cap off it.
If you want a vehicle with an automatic, and you don't want CVT, then you can just cross Subaru off your list, unless you grab one of the 2013 Foresters in the next couple of months, but that has a very old 4-speed automatic. It's dependable, but it's definitely old school.

I like manual transmissions, and Subaru is just about the only outfit that offers one with a light AWD or 4WD vehicle.

Like someone said, you may want to have a look at the new Ford Escape. The Chevy Equinox should also be considered, as well as the RAV-4 and the CR-V.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #22
gec343 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
I drove the new 2013 CRV, and was totally impressed, with the exception of appearance, which was just too flashy for my taste. However, after the new RAV4 arrives, then will compare that with the 2014 Forester, CRV, etc. The Rav4 is due at the dealers this month, at least I think.

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
gec343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #23
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRaccoon View Post
If you want a vehicle with an automatic, and you don't want CVT, then you can just cross Subaru off your list, unless you grab one of the 2013 Foresters in the next couple of months, but that has a very old 4-speed automatic. It's dependable, but it's definitely old school.

I like manual transmissions, and Subaru is just about the only outfit that offers one with a light AWD or 4WD vehicle.

Like someone said, you may want to have a look at the new Ford Escape. The Chevy Equinox should also be considered, as well as the RAV-4 and the CR-V.
Got it. No Subaru other than the STI.

I think we are going to do a two for one replacement on the van. One for her daily driving/work car. Leaning towards a focus hatchback for that. The other is my not driving the company van after hours, family trips vehicle. Just starting to make that list. I'm not having a manual in my old man travel car. Heck, I don't even like it in the wife's jeep, but my buddies WRX I borrowed, yeah, that I like.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #24
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,139
Like the euro feel? Want a drivers car - something fun to drive?

BMW X1 base model starts at $32k. Just sayin'.

There's also the Mini Countryman for less $$$.

SRG screwed with this post 01-15-2013 at 04:32 PM
SRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #25
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,092
Quote:
You do realize that all of the equipment and technology required for active cylinder management is built in to every new car you will buy don't you? The only thing missing is the programming.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #26
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
You do realize that all of the equipment and technology required for active cylinder management is built in to every new car you will buy don't you? The only thing missing is the programming.
Every single issue we have had with our van is directly related to the ACM bullshit on it. If I could turn it off, I would. I don't care if they engineer it in to it, but the actual effects of it turning on and making my V-6 a three cylinder has cost me thousands. I doubt if the fuel savings came anywhere close to offsetting it. I'll pass.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:18 PM   #27
DigDig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Chick cars.

“It was a woman who drove me to drink, but I never wrote to thank her.” W.C. Fields
DigDig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:27 PM   #28
falconati
baller

Oddometer: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG View Post
Like the euro feel? Want a drivers car - something fun to drive?

BMW X1 base model starts at $32k. Just sayin'.

There's also the Mini Countryman for less $$$.
Have you sat in the X1? There are nicer Toyota cabins.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:32 PM   #29
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,092
Quote:
Every single issue we have had with our van is directly related to the ACM bullshit on it. If I could turn it off, I would. I don't care if they engineer it in to it, but the actual effects of it turning on and making my V-6 a three cylinder has cost me thousands. I doubt if the fuel savings came anywhere close to offsetting it. I'll pass.
Educate me. What issues? What had to be fixed?

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:37 PM   #30
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,139
They aren't everyone's cup of tea - enjoy your Avalon.

SRG screwed with this post 01-15-2013 at 06:57 PM
SRG is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: