Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #46
RockyRaccoon
Found:Gideon's Bible

Oddometer: 59,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd View Post
I'm curious about the later model CRV's - what are the automatic transmissions like for a 4 cylinder equipped model? I don't need a V-6 for what I do and any of this 'dropped cylinder technology' gives me concern in the area of un-needed complexity. I actually don't even need 4 wheel drive for the area that I'm living in. I bought my wife a 2010 RAV4 but the cockpit was too small for even a 5' 10" me - I had 3 runaways with this thing because of the cramped tunnel configuration caused me to hit the gas as well as the brake pedal. Didn't like it but liked the mechanical simplicity of it. Give me your views please.
I have about 2k miles on my new 2014 Forester with a CVT. Just to give you an idea:

-- I live in the Sierra foothills, so there's lots of up and down and twisties
-- I test drove the manual and the CVT a fair bit before buying
-- This is the first vehicle I've purchased with an automatic transmission in 40 years of licensed driving

So far I'm averaging about 31 mpg with careful (but not slow) driving. I like the CVT a lot. Sure, there are occasions when I miss shifting for myself, but most of the time this transmission feels like it's well sorted out and doing the right thing.

I don't notice any noise at all, except at very low speeds when first starting out or slowing to stop I can hear some whirring from the transmission.

“It is a far, far better thing to have a firm anchor in nonsense than to put out on the troubled seas of thought.” -- John Kenneth Galbraith
RockyRaccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:15 PM   #47
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,569
Hey Rocky, what made you choose the CVT over the manual?
Old 11-26-2013, 04:10 AM   #48
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by gec343 View Post
Yes, your complaint is common with the new CVT's. Apparently, that "slipping clutch" sensation is a characteristic of CVT's. It would take some getting used to, not doubt!
I've seen it described as "rubber band" feeling in the mags. None of the descriptions makes me want a CVT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatling View Post
I have a Subaru and it is the finest car I've ever owned. We've owned Hondas and Acuras and they are fine cars, too, but they are boring in my opinion. I think you would be pleased with your decision if you purchased a Subie.
I'd second that. My 03 WRX has been a champ. And I have driven it, ahem, "aggressively" for 10-years. If I do my part, the Subie engineers did their part. I'd buy another Subie for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRaccoon View Post
I think the 2014 Forest with the 6-speed manual will be kick-ass. Too bad you can't get it with a turbo, which comes with the automatic CVT only.
I'd decry that as idiocy but--IIRC--the old Fozzy XTs had something like a 5 or 10% sale rate with the MT. The majority of takers ticked the MT box. Of course the MT Fozzies are super popular and get better than average resale prices now because "everyone knows" they're the one to get--NOW.

Can't blame Subie for making what sells and letting the MT only crowd get an Impreza instead, I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
Hey Rocky, what made you choose the CVT over the manual?
Ditto. And does it have that manual override paddle shifter thingy?

Tripl Nikl screwed with this post 11-26-2013 at 04:16 AM
Tripl Nikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:36 AM   #49
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,180
Wife was a VW fan- Jettas and Passats

But she started having to commute longer distances and in all kinds of weather (northern N.H.). We live on an unpaved road and she wanted better ground clearance, AWD and a manual trans.

5 years ago we bought an Outback, 4 banger with a stick. She LOVED it.

Then she started looking at the new body style Outback. Less utility and a nicer interior- bought it (2012 model) the only one that the dealer had with a manual. She REALLY loves it. Comfortable and quiet- good for long trips too.

We have a second set of wheels with snow tires mounted- it will push deep snow with the bumper.

BTW, it is the unofficial car of northern New England- LOTS of them here.
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:13 AM   #50
wncbmw
nOOb in post count only

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
I did like the CX5, but you really have to wind it out to get into some power
Hey David- Was that the 2.0L engine? I got a 2014 with the 2.5. Still 26/30 mpg but much more kick! Unfortunately, they only offer the 6-speed manual with the 2.0L though.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:42 AM   #51
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRaccoon View Post
I have about 2k miles on my new 2014 Forester with a CVT. Just to give you an idea:

-- I live in the Sierra foothills, so there's lots of up and down and twisties
-- I test drove the manual and the CVT a fair bit before buying
-- This is the first vehicle I've purchased with an automatic transmission in 40 years of licensed driving

So far I'm averaging about 31 mpg with careful (but not slow) driving. I like the CVT a lot. Sure, there are occasions when I miss shifting for myself, but most of the time this transmission feels like it's well sorted out and doing the right thing.

I don't notice any noise at all, except at very low speeds when first starting out or slowing to stop I can hear some whirring from the transmission.
Thanks for the reply. I can't say that the Subaru brand is on my radar as a purchase choice - there are quite a few around here, but servicing would mean heading to one of the urban centres north and south of here. Honda and Toyota are just down the road. The reason I purchased the RAV4 in 2010, was because of the lack of a CVT - I had heard of too many problems with them. I might go have a look at what the new RAV4 offers in the way of cockpit improvements. I'm just really curious about the CRV.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:37 AM   #52
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,544
My vote is for The Subaru, mostly because it is the lesbian flagship mobile, and who doesn't like lesbians?

All joking aside, the Suby is going to more vehicle for your money in my opinion.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:36 AM   #53
RockyRaccoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd View Post
Thanks for the reply. I can't say that the Subaru brand is on my radar as a purchase choice - there are quite a few around here, but servicing would mean heading to one of the urban centres north and south of here. Honda and Toyota are just down the road. The reason I purchased the RAV4 in 2010, was because of the lack of a CVT - I had heard of too many problems with them. I might go have a look at what the new RAV4 offers in the way of cockpit improvements. I'm just really curious about the CRV.
I think any of those three small SUVs would be a fine choice. It really just comes down to key features that you like, dealer convenience, price, etc.

“It is a far, far better thing to have a firm anchor in nonsense than to put out on the troubled seas of thought.” -- John Kenneth Galbraith
Old 11-26-2013, 12:04 PM   #54
Lesharoturbo
Nerdly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by wncbmw View Post
Hey David- Was that the 2.0L engine? I got a 2014 with the 2.5. Still 26/30 mpg but much more kick! Unfortunately, they only offer the 6-speed manual with the 2.0L though.
Mazda seems to do some fuzzy math when stating the interior dimensions of their vehicles. The Mazda5 supposedly has more legroom in the front than my 2003 ECHO, but my knees touch the dash when I am in the front passenger seat. The CX-5 supposedly has ~40 inches of front and rear legroom, but my daughter can't sit behind me without me moving the seat forward. The Nissan Cube has 5" LESS rear legroom, but I don't have to adjust the seat for her to fit behind me.

Forester has TONS of passenger room. CR-V has a littler less. Both are experienced first hand.

Full disclosure, I am 6'7" tall. It is not easy for me to find a car.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:23 AM   #55
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
We're on our second Subaru. First was a 2002 Impreza wagon I bought when a drunk rammed my POS Explorer which was parked in front of my house (I made out like a bandit on that one with what his insurance paid me). When the Impreza started to nickel and dime us, we bought a 2008 Forester - last of the old body style. It has about 100,000 miles on it now, and it's probably the single best vehicle we've ever owned. I've driven that thing in some horrendous blizzard conditions and it's rock solid. We're not in the market to replace it just yet, but my wife was thinking she might want a RAV4 for her next car. Then we had a new Outback as a rental last month, and I suspect we're going to be Subaru loyalists next time as well - just a great car. Their AWD system is exactly as advertised - they'll go through anything.
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:47 AM   #56
John Nash
Bluenoser

Oddometer: 147
Thumb 2014 Forester

My friend has owned 3 foresters in the past 15 years.First 183K miles. Second just traded with 168K miles.2014 Premium CVT that I just put 2K on in the past month.The CVT is so smooth and mileage has been as much as 33.3 mpg when driving 60mph.I own a 2012 Passat TDi that I am very happy with so far.
This new Subaru Forester was awarded lots of awards by the insurance institute for safety.Her insurance only increased $42.oo a year on this new model.It has lots of room inside and is now more like a small SUV than before.Thumbs up by me on this model.
John Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:43 AM   #57
RockyRaccoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by discochris View Post
We're on our second Subaru. First was a 2002 Impreza wagon I bought when a drunk rammed my POS Explorer which was parked in front of my house (I made out like a bandit on that one with what his insurance paid me). When the Impreza started to nickel and dime us, we bought a 2008 Forester - last of the old body style. It has about 100,000 miles on it now, and it's probably the single best vehicle we've ever owned. I've driven that thing in some horrendous blizzard conditions and it's rock solid. We're not in the market to replace it just yet, but my wife was thinking she might want a RAV4 for her next car. Then we had a new Outback as a rental last month, and I suspect we're going to be Subaru loyalists next time as well - just a great car. Their AWD system is exactly as advertised - they'll go through anything.
Subarus have their weaknesses. Before my 2014 Forester, I had a 2007 Impreza with basically the same power train as all the other 4-cylinder manual trans Subarus of that period. At about 75k the transmission output shaft bearing began to whine and had to be replaced. That cost about $1,100 and was paid for by the extended warranty. I think that was just a fluke, I haven't heard of that being a common problem. The next thing to go at 150k was a head gasket. That has been a problem for Subaru over the years. That was out of warranty and cost me about $2,100, which included grinding the valves and replacing the water pump and timing belt and a timing belt idler, all of which make sense to do while they've got it torn apart.

Otherwise it was a rugged little car (my son has it now) that I liked well enough to get another Subaru. I will say that the new Forester is a lot quieter and smoother riding than the Impreza, but the Impreza had a stripped down sportscar feel to it that made it a lot of fun. The Forester does OK in the twisty canyons, but it rolls and wallows compared to the flat, hard ride of the Impreza. And I could flog the Impreza like a rented mule through the canyons and up the mountains, and it never seemed to affect gas mileage much at all, probably because of the great power/weight ratio. The Forester is capable of slightly better mileage, but only if you don't drive it like that.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:07 AM   #58
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,735
>"At about 75k the transmission output shaft bearing began to whine and had to be replaced. That cost about $1,100 and was paid for by the extended warranty. I think that was just a fluke..." (Subaru Impreza)

I had the same bearing failure on our 2007 Impreza.
Replaced under warranty. I kinda thing it was a bad batch of bearings.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:01 PM   #59
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by gec343 View Post
The new totally redesigned 2014 Subaru Forester is due in March 2013.
One thing I know - it was not totally redesigned. That's just marketing spew.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:31 PM   #60
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,952
Anybody got an opinion on the 2013 CRV?
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: