Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-12-2013, 08:07 AM   #76
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
i have no experience driving a RAV4 but the 2.4L Honda motor is a gem.
the Vtec pulls like a much bigger motor at low rpm and then changes to a faster revving smaller motor at higher rpms. it's seamless and it's almost like you have 2 motors in there. i know the VFR guys hate vtec in their bikes, but it works in a vehicle engine. mpg is solid for what it is and cruises the highway nicely. it has plenty of power. kinda like a 650 strom motor. enough to keep to smiling, but the big engine guys will thumb their nose at it. i'm sure the v-6 rav4 motor is a screamer but at more fuel used in the real world.

best part of the Honda motor is it has a chain not a belt so no $$$ maintaining needed. change iridium plugs at 100K and that's about it. not a fan of timing belt engines and the $ the cost you to maintain when there are great motors out there w/o belts.
The RAV4 2.5 also pulls quite well and I never really saw the need to go to the V-6. The 2.5 also has a timing chain - I don't like belts either but then I think many manufacturers are getting away from the belt and heading back to chains. Thanks for your last three postings -very informative.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:25 PM   #77
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd View Post
Thanks for the replies. I'm looking for bullet proof basic transport - 2 wheel drive four cylinder - no bells and whistles.
Good luck finding one....
Bullet proof, four cylinder, no bells and whistles.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_armored_car
I_FLY_LOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:39 PM   #78
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,028
Believe it or not, you can get some basic vehicles these days. People want things loaded to the balls with gadgets. I love it when some guy brags to me that his vehicle has got all the options and I say good for you, hope you enjoy it until it breaks and you have to pay to get it fixed. I work on airliners and they are loaded to the balls and they do break - and I have to fix them. Give me something basic any day. And guess what sits on the car lots and goes for a knock down price when everyone is clammering for bells and whistles? The plain jane unit in the corner.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:19 PM   #79
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,862
Quote:
when the time comes, i'll more than likely but a used current gen CRV.
love the looks and it's Honda solid. gen 3 CRV are kinda funky looking.

for now i'm happy with my paid for gen 2 w/ a 5spd and honda element wheels:
We've had an '05 auto since new, now with 233,000+ miles. Repairs so far are radiator fan, condenser fan, starter, and some solenoid in the VSC system; all electrical stuff, none of it stranding us. All other costs have been routine scheduled maintenance. Not bad.

It's the wife's daily driver, and she is just now starting to even notice newer cars, but says she'll drive the CR-V as long as she feels like she can trust it. Even when she decides to get something new, we'll probably keep the CR-V, because it will still be better than its value.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #80
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,476
Traction control on a Subaru....won't it do a better job climbing an icy slope with the traction control turned OFF?
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #81
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,476
We had a 1998 Outback that would literally go anywhere! My wife's brand spanking new 2013, won't make it up our driveway. As soon as the TC kicks in, the thing becomes stationary. Here we have something called "traction" control, that we have to turn OFF to get any traction? Subaru had it right a decade ago, but just had to fuck with it???
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:54 PM   #82
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,697
Quote:
i've owned 3 over the the years. if Subaru would fix their biggest on going problem with their vehicles i'd buy another: ice packing in the wheel wells. WTF Subaru??? You guys ever live with your cars in snow country? Maybe the snow in Japan does not built up.
This isn't a "problem" limited to Subaru.

FWIW, I run undersized wheels for my snow tires (16" vs. stock 17") on my WRX and there's still build up. My Honda Accord was the same... it's not a Subaru problem.

Quote:
it amazes me how after all these years of people complaining,
First I've heard of it and we don't have a lack of Subarus around here in the snow belt on Ontario, Canada.
EmmEff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #83
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Traction control on a Subaru....won't it do a better job climbing an icy slope with the traction control turned OFF?
Lyle

TC helps traction Except on ice. That's why there's an OFF switch
RedRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:30 AM   #84
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
We had a 1998 Outback that would literally go anywhere! My wife's brand spanking new 2013, won't make it up our driveway. As soon as the TC kicks in, the thing becomes stationary. Here we have something called "traction" control, that we have to turn OFF to get any traction? Subaru had it right a decade ago, but just had to fuck with it???
Lyle
Yes, I had neglected to defeat it which resulted in getting badly stuck. It is way too intrusive. Those of us that grew up driving in snow with none of the electronic "aids" have no trouble, if we remember to defeat the gizmo.
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:55 AM   #85
gec343 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
When I first bought my 2010 Pontiac Vibe AWD, I got the thing mired in deep snow. I was stranded in a remote area, which was not good. I had not been informed of the TC by the dealer, however, while sitting there wondering what to do, I decided to read the manual while waiting for assistance, plow truck, etc. That is how I discovered that the TC must be deactivated when stuck, etc. Once deactivated, the Vibe was no longer stuck!!

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
gec343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:08 AM   #86
haines99
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Just spent a very significant amount of time researching Subie's, CRV, CX5, RAV, etc. We wanted a small SUV we could live with at the best price. I have 5 other vehicles that cost me a fortune in gas - Tahoe, Jeep Wrangler, 4Runner, two Chevy 4x4 pickups. My primary goal on this one was reliability, gas mileage, reasonable features ... essentially basic transportation and out the door cost. Narrowed it down to CRV EX FWD and Forester Premium - not apples to apples comparison as the CRV does not have AWD. This is in line with what the OP is looking for.

We liked the Forester better, and with AWD, styling, and features was the desired choice, but the major factor for us in deciding between this and the CRV was price. I used all the usual tools and methods to negotiate the price on both as low as I could (emailed internet managers for best price, truecar, Subaru partner price, etc). Got the CRV for $2400 cheaper than the Forester. Subaru dealers in Atlanta could not or would not deal on just the price factor between the 2 models.

We really like the CRV, and as a value shopper this was the best choice for us.
haines99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:05 AM   #87
RedRocket

A 10% difference in price is a big factor.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #88
gec343 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
I sent emails to six Honda dealers within 100 miles. Received 5 responses. My bottom line price offered on the 2014 CRX EX-L w/navigation was $30,000 OTD with 6% Michigan sales tax included in price. All originally declined, saying they would be losing money. However, yesterday one dealer agreed to my price, which is good until 31 December. Opinions on that price, please? Man, this old age seems to make me indecisive, to say the least. Also, the vehicle, a Mountain Air color, was being delivered by truck today, so was not sitting on the lot, dealer trade, etc.

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
gec343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #89
RedRocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by gec343 View Post
I sent emails to six Honda dealers within 100 miles. Received 5 responses. My bottom line price offered on the 2014 CRX EX-L w/navigation was $30,000 OTD with 6% Michigan sales tax included in price. All originally declined, saying they would be losing money. However, yesterday one dealer agreed to my price, which is good until 31 December. Opinions on that price, please? Man, this old age seems to make me indecisive, to say the least. Also, the vehicle, a Mountain Air color, was being delivered by truck today, so was not sitting on the lot, dealer trade, etc.

Take it. It's OK to not suck absolutely every penny of profit out of a deal.
You're doing more than good at that price.

I sell Hondas.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:23 PM   #90
falconati
baller

Oddometer: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by gec343 View Post
I'm confused...you asked them all to do the deal at a certain price and someone agreed...and now you don't want to do it? I don't mean to be rude, but that's a waste of their time. I did the same thing when buying my car, but once I got in the lowest price I called them up and closed the deal over the phone the same day.

I tried to look a bit to figure out if that's a good deal or not. Looks like about 6% off the price, right? I'm presuming you were looking at the AWD version.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: