ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
chapramsey OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
2008 KTM 990 Adventure question

Hi all,

I am new to the forum, and new to ATM bikes. I am a dual-sport rider, I have 2 BMW R100GSes and a KLR 650.

I have just ridden a 2008 990 Adventure that is for sale, used....6,600 miles, no damage noted...with Happy-Trails bags on it. Asking is $9,900. (from a dealer)

I know very little about KTMs, but really enjoyed my ride on this bike. It was fast, easy to handle, etc.

Questions----
1) I know nothing of the used bike market, any idea if this is a good price?

2) reliability....knowing nothing of the KTM brand, are they reliable?

3) are there any significant changes since '08 that I would want to know about? ie gas tank size, engine, stuff, etc...?

Thanks in advance for your help.

chapramsey
chapramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:45 PM   #2
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
I'd spoon-feed you, but there is no spoon ...

You need to read the site below in its entirety. Most everything you need to know is in there somewhere.

Whether the bike is a "good deal" or not can be established by a bit of research
on Google. Cycle Trader and various other sites can give you info on comparative
prices.

http://www.ktm950.info/
It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:29 PM   #3
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapramsey View Post
Hi all,

I am new to the forum, and new to ATM bikes. I am a dual-sport rider, I have 2 BMW R100GSes and a KLR 650.

I have just ridden a 2008 990 Adventure that is for sale, used....6,600 miles, no damage noted...with Happy-Trails bags on it. Asking is $9,900. (from a dealer)

I know very little about KTMs, but really enjoyed my ride on this bike. It was fast, easy to handle, etc.

Questions----

2) reliability....knowing nothing of the KTM brand, are they reliable?

3) are there any significant changes since '08 that I would want to know about? ie gas tank size, engine, stuff, etc...?

Thanks in advance for your help.

chapramsey
1) Kelly Blue Book (kbb.com) has it listed at $8,695 for my zip code. For that price it better come with some add ons. ESPECIALLY with the new 1190 Adventure coming out. I think I paid $12,000 for mine new.

2) Yes. If you don't abuse them they're a fantastic bike.

3) No, not really. The newer R model is supposed to be faster blah blah blah but in the end it's the same engine, the same frame, just different graphics and a different dash. Nothing major to my knowledge.

From the dealer I, personally, wouldn't pay over $9,000. The bags may be good but they're not $1300 good. That's more than I paid for my brand new Jesse bags, and Gobi bags new aren't over $1000.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
kendall_smith
Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapramsey View Post

Questions----
Not sure if it helps, but I just bought basically the same bike from a private seller for $8500 (Kansas City area).Mine is pretty much stock with 4200 miles and was in more or less showroom condition.

Personally, I don't think the bags add that much value and I think you could do better on price. Of course, all of this depends on comparable values in your area and how much you want the bike.

I will tell you that the bike is awesome. I took mine for its first real ride yesterday and I love it. I did 240 miles of everything from slick, thawing minimum maintenance roads (on stock tires, no less) to interstate highway at 80 mph and the bike was great on all of it once I got a feel how to ride it.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:33 AM   #5
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,528
08 is the last year without an immobiliser. That alone is enough to convince me to keep my 08.
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:58 AM   #6
dave54
mindless thoughts

Oddometer: 56
I have an 08 with 50,000+ and still going strong.All in all a great bike.Cant`t help you decide the deal price wise but if an 08 came my way with very little milage and rode good and felt right then yeah I`d put an offer in.
dave54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:44 AM   #7
MAXVERT
Rough Rider

Oddometer: 1,017
$8500 tops.