User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 05:46 PM   #1
2step OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Newbie ? Riding gear= Motoport

I've always been a jeans and T shirt kinda rider. I'm not an aggressive rider anymore but am feeling that as I age (56) I won't heal up as I did as a pup. So being more concerned with longevity than style. I'm looking at protective riding gear. I have a LBZ mesh riding jacket that's really a stunters style jacket. Helmet and boots always.
Missouri is a helmet state,
I'm looking at getting a Motoport Air Mesh jacket and some kind of over pants. Maybe the racing gloves. I've read tons of post here and elsewhere about them. I'm looking for skid resistance and impact protection if something goes wrong. I need good vented gear for the Hot, Humid summers in Misery.
My questions are:
1 - are they really worth the price over a Revit or Olympia Riding set?
2 - Has anyone ordered by mail and got the wrong fit? if so what happened?
3 - How stiff is the Air Mesh Kelvar? Has it scratched your gas tank or leather seat?
4 - Are the gloves stiff on your hands while on the bars? My hands tend to cramp up using leather gloves. It could be a fit issue. They don't do that without gloves or thin gloves that provide no protection.
5 - Having trouble getting the measurement for the Knee armor placement on the over pants.
6 - Any ordering advice regarding sizing ect?

I've spoken to Motoport a couple of times and I am about ready to pull the trigger. Just not made of money and want to make a good decision and get gear that's comfortable and protective.
Thanks for your thoughts and sorry about the long post. Rick
2step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:55 AM   #2
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Crashmaster wore Motoport gear on a 2 year jaunt through Mexico and South America. He loved it and had a bad crash at the beginning if his trip.
Below is a link to a crash report by him.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507934
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:12 AM   #3
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,042
See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2step View Post
1 - are they really worth the price over a Revit or Olympia Riding set?

If those are not kevlar or leather, then my opinion is yes, absolutely.

2 - Has anyone ordered by mail and got the wrong fit? if so what happened?

Yes. You send it back and they alter it to make it right. Plan on that happening and be pleasantly surprised if they nail everything perfectly on the first try. I got my suit and, 3 years later, my g/f's suit by mail order. I had to send mine back twice to get it exactly as I wanted. Hers, we had to send the pants back once to get them right.

If the fit is because you measured wrong, they will probably charge you for the alteration. If they just made it wrong, there's no charge other than you paying the return shipping.

3 - How stiff is the Air Mesh Kelvar? Has it scratched your gas tank or leather seat?

Hasn't done anything to my tank or seat (vinyl). But, a buddy with the same suit rode another buddy's R1 on a 4-day trip and afterwards, R1 Owner said the sides of the tank were scratched. Not bad, but like they were "hazed". As if they were buffed lightly with steel wool. Simple enough to put some clear contact paper or other tank protector stuff on the sides if you are worried about that.

4 - Are the gloves stiff on your hands while on the bars? My hands tend to cramp up using leather gloves. It could be a fit issue. They don't do that without gloves or thin gloves that provide no protection.

Mine (Kevlar Racing) felt like they weren't curved enough at first. My hands would get tired from having to work a little bit just to keep my hands fully closed around the grips. I called and Wayne told me to put the gloves on, soak them completely with water, then ride until they were dry. Do that 2 or 3 times total. I did, and now they are just fine.

5 - Having trouble getting the measurement for the Knee armor placement on the over pants.

It is a bit of a pain, but if you take your time to really read and understand the instructions in advance, then print them out to look at as you're doing it, you should be fine.

6 - Any ordering advice regarding sizing ect?

Just read the instructions carefully and email Wayne with any questions before you take the measurements. Measure twice, cut once, and all that.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
See below.

I would say StuartV nailed it here.............also,if your having measurement issues,use the 1-800 number and talk to Wayne or one of his staff...they will get you through this!.

Also,make sure you order the "right" material for the surroundings your going to be riding in.....Humid vs. Arid....will make a big difference in YOUR experience with the gear.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:38 PM   #5
Pete_Tallahassee
Out Standing Member

Oddometer: 135
I can only speak about the pants. I ordered a pair of the Police Air Mesh Pants.

I sent no measurements only a pair of broken in jeans that fit me just right. The pants he sent me fit me perfectly.
I love them. I have no extra pockets only the two in front that zip up. I only use them (the pockets) when I am off the bike.
The high waist is comfortable to me but would not be if riding in a bent over sport bike position. I ride a KLR and a BMW KRS. I'm mostly in an up right position. The elastic waist gives great support but might not be for everyone.
I have been using First Gear over pants with Bohn armored underwear for over a dozen years and they are hot and by now spent. I decided to just get one piece that was both armored and much, much cooler. I now wear the LD Comfort underwear under them and the combo feels great.
They certainly are not inexpensive but if they last another twelve years they will be worth it.

Pete_Tallahassee screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 07:47 PM
Pete_Tallahassee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:10 PM   #6
NesquikNinja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
I bought used, so I can only address your first question directly, and will give you my other impressions as well.

Are they worth the extra money? YES. 100%. Hands down. No contest.
Will they tear up a seat and tank? Likely..over time. But what easier to replace? Seat/paint or your own skin? If you really care put some clear skins on that tank.

Im not sure about using them on sportbikes....ill take the R6 out next time its warm enough and get back to you on that. I normally ride a CRF250l- off the bike, the jacket is a little restrictive. More so than my slightly too large leather, and it gets difficult to secure the helmet if I have on both liners AND my electric liner (3 total). Keep in mind mine is a little snug- got a good deal used and as far as protection is concerned it fits so I deal with it.

Mine are a bit short in sleeve and pant length, but pads are where they should be and I feel protected. Air flow is ridiculous, quad armor is seemingly incredible.

Good luck.
NesquikNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:49 PM   #7
AK Bob
AKAM

Oddometer: 208
Motoport

Newbie:

I got a few years on you, and the way I figured it, if I have a simple get off at speed and walk away.. I'd save the cost of the suit X 2, over the medical insurance deductiables.

Two years ago I sprang for a full 2 piece Motoport suit with upgraded armor. Guess they call it the Ultra II air mesh jacket and pants, along with the rain suit and insulated jacket liner. In short, love it. Last summer I ran from Fairbanks to Key West. The only time I wasn't in it was going to the showers at the National from Airhead Central. The air blowing through made the trip bearable. Bought a pair of LD Comfort Shorts at the rally. The LD Comforts and a T shirt was what was under the suit from Sedalia, up into the mountains of BC past Hyder AK.. When its cold The rain liners go in to break the wind.

In a t shirt and jeans the heat and wind would have really beat me up, in leathers an chaps, it would have been prety bad too. The idea is if the temp is above your body temp cover up. Never thought I'd be an atgatt kind of guy, I am now.
'84 R100rt
'88 R100gs

AK Bob screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 10:53 PM Reason: sp
AK Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:39 PM   #8
j_csquare
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Not everybody is happy with the Motoport gear.
See http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213509 and http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=685652.

I would rather recommend the REV'IT leather jacket and pants with mesh panels. Probably a bit warmer, but cheaper and arguably even better protection.

REV'IT Ignition 2 jacket: https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf...er-Jacket-0001

REV'IT Gear 2 pants: https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf...3&Currency=USD

j_csquare screwed with this post 01-17-2013 at 04:26 PM
j_csquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:43 AM   #9
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_csquare View Post
arguably even better protection.
I'm not sure I agree with that. What argument can you make that it's better protection? Is it as strong as mesh kevlar? Does it have as much body armor? My Syed custom race leathers (which are top notch, as leathers go) are not as strong as MP mesh kevlar, nor do they have as much body armor (though they have as much as any other leathers I have looked at).
Old 01-17-2013, 03:33 PM   #10
j_csquare
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
I'm not sure I agree with that. What argument can you make that it's better protection? Is it as strong as mesh kevlar? Does it have as much body armor? My Syed custom race leathers (which are top notch, as leathers go) are not as strong as MP mesh kevlar, nor do they have as much body armor (though they have as much as any other leathers I have looked at).
Steady on the Coolaid served by Motoport's website. Your custom race leathers offer more abrasion resistance.

From a different thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddbutt View Post

Anyway, kevlar is much better than leather for tear resistance, but competition grade leather is better for abrasion resistance. So for sliding down asphalt at 100mph, competition grade leather is better. if you wanted to use your pants to hoist your truck off the ground, kevlar is better.

Here are some facts about different materials:
Drag Test - older test - the kevlar listed is not the same as air mesh.

"For the Drag Test, samples were stitched to a bag that held a 75-pound sandbag inside a milk crate, then dragged behind a pickup truck..."
  1. New, 100% Cotton Denim Jeans ----------------------- 3' 10"
  2. Senior Balistic Nylon ----------------------------------- 3' 10"
  3. Leather, Lightweight, Nude Finish, 2.25 oz/sq. ft. --- 4' 3"
  4. Leather, Fashion Weight, 1.75 oz/sq ft. ------------- 4' 4"
  5. Two-year-old 100% Cotton Denim Jeans ------------ 4' 5"
  6. Cordura Nylon Type 440 ----------------------------- 18' 3"
  7. Kevlar 29 Aramid Fiber, Style 713 ------------------ 22' 1"
  8. Leather, Competition Weight, 3 oz/sq. ft. -------- 86' 0"
Taber Test

For the Taber Test, the specimen was mounted on a rotating platform and scuffed by two rubber-emery grinding wheels." The numbers represent the number of revolutions until the fabric totally fails. A vacuum clears debris.
  1. Tear and Abrasion Strength by the numbers
  2. Pounds of force until fabric tears Abrasion cycles on pavement until fabric fails
  3. CottonJeans 4.5 pounds to tear 50 cycles to failure
  4. 70 Denier Standard Nylon 4.5 pounds to tear 165 cycles to failure
  5. 500 Denier Polyester 8 pounds to tear 180 cycles to failure
  6. 200 Denier Standard Nylon 7.5 pounds to tear 275 cycles to failure
  7. 500 Denier Cordura 22 pounds to tear 710 cycles to failure
  8. 620 Denier Cordura 35 pounds to tear 1200 cycles to failure
  9. Motorcycle Leather 80-110 pounds to tear 1200-1700 cycles to failure
  10. 1000 Denier Cordura 110 pounds to tear 1780 cycles to failure
  11. Air Mesh Kevlar 1260 pounds to tear 970 cycles to failure *** EDIT: Notice that airmesh is less abrasion resistant than stretch, this comes as a big surprise to many that believe that air mesh is superior ***
  12. Stretch Kevlar Blend 420lbs pounds to tear 1800 cycles to failure
  13. Leather, Competition Weight, (no tear weight available) 3 oz./sq. ft. 2600 cycles to failure
There are two sources I used. I used motoports website for the taber tests that included the kevlar gear - as it is hard to find any independent test results on his particular fabrics.

Drag test
http://www.trainwreckstudios.net/abrasion/road.html

Taber Test
http://www.trainwreckstudios.net/abrasion/taber.html

Motoport Taber Test
http://web.archive.org/web/200503092...1-800-777-6499 - Original from 2005 shows airmesh being failing at 970 cycles, and stretch failing at 1800 cycles

There are several problems with motoports data, but the biggest is his data on competition grade leather - he lists it as abrading between 1200 and 1700 cycles. This range makes it equivalent to cordura 620 and less abrasion resistant than cordura 1000. I can explain the obvious problems with such data, but any serious racer that has seen a leather suit after a 70 mph getoff and airmesh pants hole on a 70mph getoff, understands that this is a serious problem.

j_csquare screwed with this post 01-17-2013 at 06:27 PM
j_csquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:14 PM   #11
wizz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 958
Not a fan of my Motoport I've had for 5 years. Armor moves around my arms, many resultant elbow bruises and such off road, even though the jacket fits. After replacing pant armor with forcefield shorts and leatt mechanical knee shin guards the triarmor doesn't compare from my unscientific tests (off road get offs). I will be replacing it before summer. I think a lot of motoport website is marketing hyperbole and should be considered cautiously. YMMV
wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:57 AM   #12
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_csquare View Post
Steady on the Coolaid served by Motoport's website. Your custom race leathers offer more abrasion resistance.

From a different thread:
I am aware of that. That is why I wear (and would recommend to anybody) to stick to leather for track use. Unlike track riding, for street riding, it will be a RARE accident where you actually slide very far at all. Especially on pavement. I mean, in the unlikely event that you do slide very far, there's a good chance you will go off the pavement and onto some other surface. Regardless...

In a street crash (as opposed to a racetrack crash), you are likely to be going slower, not slide as far, and hit something that is hard. So, for street riding, the relative importance of abrasion resistance is lower and the importance of body armor and strong seams is higher. I've blown out seams on leathers just from hitting the ground (and seen it happen to others a LOT - especially on cheaper leathers). I am having trouble imagining blowing out a seam on Motoport gear. And, as I said before, my MP suit has more body armor in it than any leathers I've owned or even seen.

So, maybe I should have been a little more specific? If you are talking about street riding, then I'm not sure you can make any significant argument that leathers give better protection.