User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
Kingsized OP
Kingsized Adventurer

Oddometer: 712
Above the calf wicking socks

I've been wearing soccer socks and baseball socks but need something that less poly to keep my feet dry. My main problem is that I have 21" calves and at the knee, I'm 17. You get the picture, big guns which if the sock doesn't go up past, the sock falls down into my boot. Because the velcro side of my boot doesn't close all the way due to my large calf size, the scratchy part can rub my leg when this happens.

So, who know of a good, long sock that can cover my calves and keep my feet dry? By the way, through a search here I found the 511 Tactical socks but they are only 9" tall and no way tall enough. Any other ideas?

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsized View Post
I've been wearing soccer socks and baseball socks but need something that less poly to keep my feet dry. My main problem is that I have 21" calves and at the knee, I'm 17. You get the picture, big guns which if the sock doesn't go up past, the sock falls down into my boot. Because the velcro side of my boot doesn't close all the way due to my large calf size, the scratchy part can rub my leg when this happens.

So, who know of a good, long sock that can cover my calves and keep my feet dry? By the way, through a search here I found the 511 Tactical socks but they are only 9" tall and no way tall enough. Any other ideas?

Thanks!
MotoX socks! They up to/past yer knees if you want. (kneebraces suck on bare skin)

Fox, Alpinestars,Thor, there's a ton of 'em out there

I have the Alpinstars CoolMax ones and Thermal Tech ones, they're awesome!
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,093
Peruse your local sporting goods store for thin ski socks -- look for merino wool or a decent synthetic. Probably on clearance right now.

I was a little shocked when I ordered merino wool motorcycle socks from Aerostich and received a pair of skiiing socks. They're great, and it makes sense when you think about it.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:48 PM   #4
DaveStockwell
Rock Fodder

Oddometer: 205
Thorlo makes some great lightweight wicking socks in their western line that are very tall. I wear them all the time with tall boots and have never had an issue with them falling down.

You can get them at most western wear shops on online here: http://www.thorlo.com/socks/western-...r-calf/435.php
Old 01-16-2013, 03:55 PM   #5
Kingsized OP
Kingsized Adventurer

Oddometer: 712
Thanks guys! That gives me something to search for. Unfortunately bringer, finding snow ski socks in Mississippi any time of the year is pretty much possible but thatis what the Internet is for. I get to looking ASAP!
Old 01-16-2013, 04:01 PM   #6
soyanarchisto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,276
check sierra trading post!
soyanarchisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #7
HAYVIATOR
Don't be me dude.

Oddometer: 281
Picked up some great socks at Cabela's a couple weeks ago. I think they were house brand, thick enough that my feet have been warm and dry with recent temps below freezing and they go a few inches above my knees so falling down has not been an issue. $14 if I remember correctly.
HAYVIATOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:11 PM   #8
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyanarchisto View Post
check sierra trading post!
THIS^ Lots of ski socks on closeout to choose from on their site.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:29 PM   #9
Stalky Tracker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Check out Smartwool at REI, Campmor, Backcounty, Backcounty Gear, Sierra Trading Post, Amazon, etc.

Smartwool Phd's are what I wear. They come in light and medium weights and lengths over the calf.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #10
scubasimon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
i use these SIDI Tech Road Socks...not sure if high enough for you but they're plenty high enough for my size...

http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/produ...8207234-p-2742
scubasimon is offline   Reply With Quote