User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2012, 10:45 PM   #1
jondirt OP
City rider

Oddometer: 37
Need riding buddy for two week adv tour - NZ South Island, January

My riding buddy isn't free next year and I want to do a tour of NZ, on the road from around Jan 7 - 21. I'm thinking of starting out near the tip of South Island and finishing by taking part in the DB1K (www.db1k.com).

I'll be riding a midsize dual sport (TE610 or DRZ400), spending time on dirt trails, carrying minimalist camping gear, staying in hotels every few days. I'm more focused on nature and distance than technical challenge. To get a flavor of what I am thinking of, see www.advtrail.com, trip report from my previous trip on the TAT in the US. I've just started planning, so there's a lot of room for flex.

PM me for more details or if you know someone who might be willing to join for all/part of the ride. I'm a brit, easy going, reliable, a solid rider. This is going to be awesome...

Also if you've got any route/travel suggestions, please post away!I

(I also cross-listed this in Trip Planning, not sure which is the best forum...)

jondirt screwed with this post 08-23-2012 at 09:15 PM
jondirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:10 PM   #2
zippledippledoo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Thumb Macetown

Just a quick response to you. A pretty ride that would be great for a dual sport would be the track from Arrowtown up the Arrow river to the ghost town of Macetown. There is a Department of Conservation campground there, with toilet (long drop) and a restored building or two. Something like 22 water crossings one way.

I'll post more ideas another time. I'm a Yank and now a Kiwi (I call myself a "Yiwi") that has lived and explored NZ for quite a few years.

Expect the weather to change, and for it to rain and get cold any darn time it feels like it. When the winds shift and start blowing from the south, it gets cold in a hurry - nothing between us and Antarctica.
zippledippledoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:09 AM   #3
.chris
690 Advenduro

Oddometer: 74
Hey Jondirt,
I too will be riding around those parts around that time (Based out of Fairlie since I have family there).

I grew up down that way so know my way around pretty well, and am keen to re-experience a fair bit of the place on the bike. Will be doing a similar type trip to you, pretty light on gear, camping and enjoying the scenery.

Josh's adventure guide site is a pretty good resource for routes around the South of NZ.

I am keen to meet up and do a few days riding, if that does not pan out will definitely say gidday at the db1k.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,193
Rosie & I are also planning to head down for the DB1K. We will post up some more info once our plans firm up but will quite likely be able to meet up for a few days riding, we'll be carrying camping gear also.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:46 AM   #5
spacekadet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
This is handy!

I was just about to post and ask for route and destination suggestions. Will be touring two-up on a rented DL650 early January so not intending to do water crossings or single track (nor any camping), but would be delighted to be off the beaten track now and then. If Mrs Pillion has to get off and walk for a few rough bits, she'll get over it...

Very interested to hear what locals "highly recommended".
spacekadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
clintnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacekadet View Post
I was just about to post and ask for route and destination suggestions. Will be touring two-up on a rented DL650 early January so not intending to do water crossings or single track (nor any camping), but would be delighted to be off the beaten track now and then. If Mrs Pillion has to get off and walk for a few rough bits, she'll get over it...

Very interested to hear what locals "highly recommended".
Sorry mate but if you don't want to do any water crossings your options for getting off the beaten track in NZ are extremely limited. If you can break out of your comfort zone a little & deal with sub 12" deep firm bottomed crossings you will be able to access much more interesting stuff. Check out the NZ trip reports sticky for some ideas. Molesworth, the Hakataramea Track & taking the Earnslaw over to Walter Peak to exit via the Von would be the first 3 pillion friendly & worthwhile gravel diversions that spring to mind.

Cheers
Clint

Old 08-23-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
Ducatijim
Hopeless Poseuer!

Oddometer: 288
Arh, bugger. Me n a m8 are doing 2 exciting weeks of high country gravel backroads down there in Jan too, only we dont start till about the 26th.
So I guess we will not cross paths?
Enjoy.

I am no gynaecologist, but I would be happy to take a look.............................................. ......................................
Ducatijim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:10 PM   #8
spacekadet
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz View Post
Sorry mate but if you don't want to do any water crossings your options for getting off the beaten track in NZ are extremely limited. If you can break out of your comfort zone a little & deal with sub 12" deep firm bottomed crossings you will be able to access much more interesting stuff. Check out the NZ trip reports sticky for some ideas. Molesworth, the Hakataramea Track & taking the Earnslaw over to Walter Peak to exit via the Von would be the first 3 pillion friendly & worthwhile gravel diversions that spring to mind.

Cheers
Clint
I looked at the link to routes posted earlier in the thread and realised what folks meant by "water crossings" - I had in mind wading through waist-deep rivers, boulders, mud, bike getting water in the intake, etc. The pics in the link are what I would have called "fords". No problem with that sort of thing.

It's a DL650, probably has road tyres and it's not mine. Should still be good for a bit of fun.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:20 PM   #9
Kiwi Dave
Beemer Boy

Oddometer: 119
Touring around paradise.

I also would be very happy to show you around. I live in Arrowtown (central Otago ) and this is on the front door step of the Macetown Track, Skippers Canyon, Nevis Valley, Mavora Lakes road and heaps more tracks that cross public and private land.

Look me up once your in the area and we'll sort out a plan.

Dc
Kiwi Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:17 AM   #10
spacekadet
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Dave View Post
I also would be very happy to show you around. I live in Arrowtown (central Otago ) and this is on the front door step of the Macetown Track, Skippers Canyon, Nevis Valley, Mavora Lakes road and heaps more tracks that cross public and private land.

Look me up once your in the area and we'll sort out a plan.

Dc
I forgot to subscribe to this thread (I always do that .. d'oh). Anyway did not see your kind offer - thanks for that. Very impolite of my not to respond. Would surely like to do a day ride on a route that touristy types might not find.

I just came back to the thread to have another look at the routes and pics. I really like the one that goes by a back road and then a ferry into Queenstown.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:59 PM   #11
glitch_oz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,591
Quote:
I forgot to subscribe to this thread (I always do that .. d'oh). Anyway did not see your kind offer - thanks for that. Very impolite of my not to respond. Would surely like to do a day ride on a route that touristy types might not find.

I just came back to the thread to have another look at the routes and pics. I really like the one that goes by a back road and then a ferry into Queenstown.

For that sorta ride, LOADS of pics and yarns here.
http://www.austouring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3990

Another crew...and another fortnight lined up in March

www.AusTouring.com
A Dozen Years Of Adventures
glitch_oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:26 PM   #12
spacekadet
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch_oz View Post
For that sorta ride, LOADS of pics and yarns here.
http://www.austouring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3990
Yes quite a bit to digest there. One thing that's on my mind - if I go by that back road, I gather the ferry to Queenstown is not frequent. Does it run at the same time every day? I'd hate to arrive 5 mins after the ferry left :(

Was also thinking of doing an overnight cruise on Milford Sound, but in the high season it's $400 per head ... ouch!
Old 12-12-2012, 12:43 AM   #13
glitch_oz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,591
Quote:
Yes quite a bit to digest there. One thing that's on my mind - if I go by that back road, I gather the ferry to Queenstown is not frequent. Does it run at the same time every day? I'd hate to arrive 5 mins after the ferry left :(

Was also thinking of doing an overnight cruise on Milford Sound, but in the high season it's $400 per head ... ouch!
Walter Peak-Queenstown runs all the time all through the day...if you miss a boat, it won't take longer than a good hour for the next ride. IIRC, last one leaves Walter Peak at 4.00pm, pls check!!
When you get to the Pier, get into contact with the shipping guy right away, there are only a limited number of spots on the boat for each crossing.
https://www.realjourneys.co.nz/

The ride into Milford is awesome, but you HAVE to be early and ahead of the throng of tour operators and coaches, campers and tourists.
Leave Te Anau at 6!!

Doubtful Sound is the far better tour!

www.AusTouring.com
A Dozen Years Of Adventures
glitch_oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:54 AM   #14
spacekadet
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch_oz View Post
Walter Peak-Queenstown runs all the time all through the day...if you miss a boat, it won't take longer than a good hour for the next ride. IIRC, last one leaves Walter Peak at 4.00pm, pls check!!
When you get to the Pier, get into contact with the shipping guy right away, there are only a limited number of spots on the boat for each crossing.
https://www.realjourneys.co.nz/

The ride into Milford is awesome, but you HAVE to be early and ahead of the throng of tour operators and coaches, campers and tourists.
Leave Te Anau at 6!!

Doubtful Sound is the far better tour!
It looks like the road into Milford Sound is a dead-end, so I'd have to go aback to Te Anau? How much travel time should I allow each way? (leisurely riding)
Old 12-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #15
clintnz

Quote:
I gather the ferry to Queenstown is not frequent. Does it run at the same time every day? I'd hate to arrive 5 mins after the ferry left :(
!
As above, you need to pre book with real journeys to take a bike on the Earnslaw, sometimes they can't do it, so ph them or call in at the office down by the dock to check it out.

Quote:
It looks like the road into Milford Sound is a dead-end, so I'd have to go aback to Te Anau? How much travel time should I allow each way? (leisurely riding)
You wont mind doing that road twice Around 2hrs travel each way IIRC but allow extra time for looking around.

Cheers
Clint