Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2015, 09:39 PM   #1
Vincenthdfan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
How to get wireless internet from house into Pole Barn?

Hello there,
I built a 30 x 42 x 14 metal sided pole barn in my back yard and need to get an internet signal out to it from the house.

Currently I can only get a signal on my laptop out there when the doors are open.

I've been contemplating buying a signal booster that boosts range to 10,000 square feet and setting it up in the kitchen window to try and blast a signal out that way.

Has anyone done this with any degree of success?

I tried the search function, but it is quite, quite sucky!!

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Vincenthdfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:50 PM   #2
FatBob
The name says it all

Oddometer: 528
Since you are getting signal to the building you might try mounting your wireless booster in a weatherproof location an the outside of the building. That would give maximum signal strength to get through the metal siding.

Ride Safe, Ride Often
FatBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:57 PM   #3
simestd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenthdfan View Post
Hello there,
I built a 30 x 42 x 14 metal sided pole barn Faraday cage in my back yard and need to get an internet signal out to it from the house.
FTFY

Seriously though, a signal booster won't work nearly as well as a wireless bridge with an external antenna OUTSIDE the barn. A set up with mildly directional antennas (60 degree beamwidth or so) would be even better.

Something along these lines:

http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-NanoS...bridge+outdoor

Good luck, sounds like a fun project

'82 XV750, '82 GL500, '02 DR650, '07 XT225
simestd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:07 PM   #4
FlyingFinn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,101
Powerline WiFi extender. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HSQAIQU

Connect one box to your wifi router in the house, and the other box gives you you wifi signal in the barn.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:10 PM   #5
nickguzzi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
We have "home plugs" over here. Got mine through amazon, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Max-Value-20.../dp/B001AIKBB4

Plug one into the power near your router and connect with an ethernet cable to the router. Plug in the other near where you want the connection, and you have signal. There are ethernet and wifi versions, plus "power though" ones so you can still use the outlet. You can can buy more than one outlet, so multiple outlets are possible.
The signal is modulated over the power line.

We have ring main power circuits here in UK so all are connected, but the home plugs are supposed to work through/across the consumer unit/fuse board.
Even if you only send it down the single line to your shed?

Had mine a few years now, so there may be even more sophisticated versions than the basic one I have.
nickguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:46 AM   #6
catweasel67
Banned

Oddometer: 8,856
My understanding is that wifi repeaters are pretty crap - because of the way they work you stand to lose as much as 50% of the bandwidth.

IMO you're better off running a cable from your router to a second wifi unit in the barn.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:17 AM   #7
youkiddin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
I use a second router set up as a access point to get signal to my rental house next door. it gets full signal in the whole house. Nothing to lose if you already have an extra router.
youkiddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:55 AM   #8
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by simestd View Post
FTFY

Seriously though, a signal booster won't work nearly as well as a wireless bridge with an external antenna OUTSIDE the barn. A set up with mildly directional antennas (60 degree beamwidth or so) would be even better.

Something along these lines:

http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-NanoS...bridge+outdoor

Good luck, sounds like a fun project
lol. I was going to change his metal pole barn to that as well.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:57 AM   #9
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
IMO you're better off running a cable from your router to a second wifi unit in the barn.
This.

Just dig a trench and run a cable to the barn with a wall connector. Wireless signals can be a bit tricky to get out to places and your barn design is just that. A big Faraday Cage. You can then setup a wireless router to be a bridge out in the barn and save yourself a lot of headache.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:42 AM   #10
Wasser
Spilt my beer

Oddometer: 5,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post

+3

Unless its over 300 feet. You should install a powered switch or router if it is over 300 feet.

Or go with fiber if its over 300 feet.
Wasser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:53 AM   #11
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 5,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenthdfan View Post
Hello there,
I built a 30 x 42 x 14 metal sided pole barn in my back yard and need to get an internet signal out to it from the house.

Currently I can only get a signal on my laptop out there when the doors are open.

I've been contemplating buying a signal booster that boosts range to 10,000 square feet and setting it up in the kitchen window to try and blast a signal out that way.

Has anyone done this with any degree of success?

I tried the search function, but it is quite, quite sucky!!

Thanks in advance for any advice.
I have a similar size shop about 100yds from the router. I used a yagi type antenna mounted outside, connected to the computer inside the shop.

Works great except when I park in front of the antenna
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 08:12 AM   #12
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasser View Post
+3

Unless its over 300 feet. You should install a powered switch or router if it is over 300 feet.

Or go with fiber if its over 300 feet.
300' is safe, but the limit is 100m, or 328'.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 08:19 AM   #13
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickguzzi View Post
We have "home plugs" over here. Got mine through amazon, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Max-Value-20.../dp/B001AIKBB4

Plug one into the power near your router and connect with an ethernet cable to the router. Plug in the other near where you want the connection, and you have signal. There are ethernet and wifi versions, plus "power though" ones so you can still use the outlet. You can can buy more than one outlet, so multiple outlets are possible.
The signal is modulated over the power line.

We have ring main power circuits here in UK so all are connected, but the home plugs are supposed to work through/across the consumer unit/fuse board.
Even if you only send it down the single line to your shed?

Had mine a few years now, so there may be even more sophisticated versions than the basic one I have.
His outbuilding may have its own feed from the power company. Otherwise, it's going to have a panel that's fed from a breaker that's probably in a sub-panel hanging from his main breaker box. In that case, he'll have to figure out which bus bar his wireless extender is plugged in to in the house, trace the bus bar connection to the sub panel, figure out which leg of the sub panel is fed by it, trace that through the breaker and the cable running under the yard to the outbuilding, find it in the outbuilding panel, and make sure the other repeater is plugged into a circuit that's fed by that bus bar. Otherwise the signal will just go to data heaven.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:12 PM   #14
configurationspace
delooper

Oddometer: 8,863
WiFi signals are in the low-GHz range. So you can reflect them with pretty simple parabolic reflectors. If your router location is pretty stable, perhaps the cheapest way to get your signal across a long distance with a clear path between them is to use a parabolic reflector.

I know guys that share wifi signals between houses that are separated by a mile using this technique.

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/scienc...Sci_p010.shtml

The above link gives you a starting point. You'll want one reflector by your router, and a "collector" at the remote location.
configurationspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:09 PM   #15
Just Max
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
UBIQUTI

I have a pair of NanoStations pointing at each other to get internet to my barn (metal roof). Off the barn nanostation, I have a regular linksys wifi router, so I have wireless and wired connections out there. It's only about 100' but these units are good for much further (like miles). These are commercial units, at consumer prices. Mine have been outside for a few years w/out issue. My buddy has been running one outside for over 7.

https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/nanostationm/

Versys ADV Build
Just Max is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: