User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-29-2014, 09:06 AM   #1
k7 OP
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,504
2014 Baseball HOF - should the 'roid players be allowed in?

These days, to be honest, I don't give two shits about baseball but years ago, I was an ardent Braves fan. I was at Fulton County Stadium when they won their 13th game in a row in 1982. I grew up and was fortunate to see Hank Aaron play - Dusty Baker - Felipe Alou - Joe Torre - Davey Johnson - Phil Nieko - Eddie Matthews....all great names who left their marks in baseball. I lived in ATL on two different occasions and spent a lot of time at the stadium and like many of us, watched them play on Turner's network when it was literally, the only game on TV.

We left ATL in 1995 but we enjoyed several World Series games while there. That made this HOF class very, very special: 2 Braves (Tom Glavine & Greg Maddux) 1 Braves manager (Bobby Cox), 1 former Braves player and manager (Joe Torre), manager Tony La Russa and Frank Thomas.

I'm very familiar with Frank Thomas who played both football and baseball at Auburn.

Not many people will remember Thomas' first seven years when he had a .300 batting average, 100 runs, 100 RBIs, 100 walks and 20 home runs each year. When PED's and steroids impacted the game, his numbers seemed...well... pedestrian...ordinary in fact.

It's one thing to be exposed to steriods in college - it's another when a young man is told that if he's caught, he'll lose his scholarship especially when that scholarship is all that you have. Frank Thomas took that warning to heart and was anti-PED before it was cool.

We've had this question before - should Sosa, Mcguire, Bonds, et al ever be admitted? My vote doesn't count but if I had a vote, it'd be "hell no". Goose Gossage says the records they claimed should be removed. La Russa disagrees saying that 95% of Mcguire's hits were steroid-free. That may be but like a witness who lies on the stand, everything else that witness says is now suspect. That's not good enough for the HOF...imho.

Good article here.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:49 PM   #2
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,050
Let them in. Had those boys not captured the public's interest following the strike, baseball might be trailing hockey and soccer in popularity today.

Well, maybe not soccer.
jdiaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:12 PM   #3
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,520
Yes. If they gamed the system, and were able to not busted at the time, it should count. How far back are we going to go to see who else shouldn't have been there?

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:23 PM   #4
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 73,086
With the 10-year limit for eligibility that has just been instituted, I doubt they'll make it. The anger will take longer than that to dissipate. So the point is more or less moot.

The home run records ought to be wiped off. Both Bonds and McGwire were outstanding players before they juiced. But clearly they had some abbie-normal home run years thanks to artificial aids.

Until the home runs of Bonds, McGwire and Sosa are erased both the career home run record and the single season home run records are meaningless. No clean player is ever going to hit 73 home runs in a season. The top six single-season spots are held by juicers. That's ridiculous and needs to be fixed.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:31 PM   #5
k7 OP
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
Yes. If they gamed the system, and were able to not busted at the time, it should count. How far back are we going to go to see who else shouldn't have been there?
I don't think you have to go back too far - I have no evidence but you can pretty see when the big boys started banging away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
With the 10-year limit for eligibility that has just been instituted, I doubt they'll make it. The anger will take longer than that to dissipate. So the point is more or less moot.

The home run records ought to be wiped off. Both Bonds and McGwire were outstanding players before they juiced. But clearly they had some abbie-normal home run years thanks to artificial aids.

Until the home runs of Bonds, McGwire and Sosa are erased both the career home run record and the single season home run records are meaningless. No clean player is ever going to hit 73 home runs in a season. The top six single-season spots are held by juicers. That's ridiculous and needs to be fixed.
Well stated.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:13 PM   #6
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Oddometer: 23,095
Quote:

Bingo. The argument that these hitters were successful due to hand-eye coordination and the juice doesn't help that is specious at best. Strong wrists = quick bat speed, add that to already great hand-eye and you have what we saw then. Erase the records. Old big-head Barry would have a head explosion.
NICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:38 PM   #7
Bubwheat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,414
If La Russa, whose Oakland clubhouses were an orgy of anabolic drug abuse, and who owes many of his coaching wins to the 'roid Boys got in, let them all in.
Bubwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:50 PM   #8
tkitna
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,490
Let McGwire in because he's my favorite player, but not the rest.

2008 DL650
2013 Goldwing
tkitna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:50 PM   #9
tkitna
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,490
Also K7, not one mention of Dale Murphy. For shame.

2008 DL650
2013 Goldwing
tkitna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:22 AM   #10
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubwheat View Post
If La Russa, whose Oakland clubhouses were an orgy of anabolic drug abuse, and who owes many of his coaching wins to the 'roid Boys got in, let them all in.
:boom
jdiaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:28 AM   #11
k7 OP
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkitna View Post
Also K7, not one mention of Dale Murphy. For shame.
My most humble apologies...he was a great guy and represented baseball and the Braves well. A true class act.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:03 PM   #12
bergermeister
housin'

Oddometer: 1,913
Quote:

Yep, as far as I'm concerned it's still held by North Dakota native and my dad's favorite player, Roger Maris.
bergermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:44 PM   #13
k7 OP
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergermeister View Post
Yep, as far as I'm concerned it's still held by North Dakota native and my dad's favorite player, Roger Maris.
...and the home run record belong to a native of Mobile AL.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:26 AM   #14
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Oddometer: 9,544
Hey, the Babe liked juice too. As long as it was stiffened.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:32 PM   #15
RhinoVonHawkrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrineclown View Post
Hey, the Babe liked juice too. As long as it was stiffened.

With Hot Dogs??

IDK - Yeah they cheated - But does the JUNK make U better at hand / eye coordination? They still needed to get the bat on zee ball.

I'm still up in the air, I think, but as for now don't let them in.

And Fcuk Barry Bonds - he didn't have to do it, he was a great player before the JUNK.

And Ban Sosa cause I liked him when he was Latino.

Hank Aaron - is Still the HR King

I remember when he hit it - yes I'm old...
Until the colour of a man's skin - Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes -Me say war RNM
RhinoVonHawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: