User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,463
The Build Of Maya And Jesse Luggage System

Good afternoon OCers, post the dreadful start with Maya we picked up and carried on ... no other choice having outlayed too much $$$ to lose.

For the record the Phoenix KTM community are real good buggas and worthy... you guys ROCK!!.

With special thanks to Spencer who set up our carburation and airbox and assisted with determining what belly aches Maya had as well as being the man on the spot with super moto rear shock to bring this tall lady on stilettos down to my height and generally just help us prep her for continuing our RTW trip.

So this is the build part, some useful info for lowering the bikes and especially if some one is wanting to run hard luggage .. specifically Jesses for a RTW trip or just a bit more lockable than softies.

Maya came with Wolfman racks and Expedition bags, we bought from Zen Motorcycle a Large duffle bag, a pair of tank panniers and a tank bag with the view to running fully soft luggage for weight reasons.

Enter into the equation some engineering with regard to C of G and this changes things quickly, we were going to have a 45/47 L Wolfman duffle bag on the back so we needed to do sub frame work as most of you are well aware of the shortfalls on the SE subframe.

Although the Jesses do weigh more what they do allow is to carry a lot more of your gear low AND in with the odyssey boxes, we could have gotten away with softies all round capacity wise but that meant compromising a lot as far as food and camping for a start and hiking gear next up so that was going to remove a large chunk of what our trip is about as well as increasing our cost for accommodation down the track so now you know our reasoning behind the luggage.

With all these compromises added up, put into place etc we decided to go with Jesses as Al said he could do it with a better separate subframe .... he was right.

Al set too and built the custom subframe with engineering simplicity while thinking outside the box ... he is an honorary Kiwi.

These are the RHS and LHS brackets, in essence it clamps to the steel KTM main frame, utilizes the base KTM subframe bolt with a taper collar and connects back to the KTM alloy frame passenger footpeg mountings creating a beautifully engineered triangle.

Doing this has two huge advantages, firstly the weight is transferred to the main steel frame and secondly the existing KTM SE alloy subframe has 6 inches less flex from its new triangle buddy thus making the work the SE subframe above less so for two up this worked out great.

All high mountings are taken north of where the triangle is located at the top of the SE subframe where the exhaust mounts.

The top case has a load spreader which also brings the weight forward and down to the base mounts.

To the rear of the top case we have a light weight set of wings again which transfer the load through the two side racks to the new base frame.

See Ellen and I standing in the cases with ONLY the two front mounts attached.

At the rear there is a std drawbar to stop the swing of things, std stuff there really.

You will be pleased to know that we have worked out the lighter components of our gear which lives in the top case thus we are keeping our heavier weighing items low and in, this to be honest works out a lot better than running the 45/47 L duffle as the 45 L Jesse pizza box weighs in at (very) little more than the Wolfman duffle.

So combined with the Jesse panniers and two 10 L Wolfman tank panniers sitting on each Jesse pannier that is it other than our lunch bag and hiking bag back up on top which again weight very little, we are now doing more strategic planning with food and not carrying as much on board.

View from the top

For some other bits and pieces, we shifted the voltage regulator to avoid cooking monster getting it, we used the existing plate and wiring.

I fabricated extra support mounts to support the BDCW bashplate as we have seen first hand some radiator mounts that have suffered, we probably won’t be torturing the bike that hard but one big rock could change things and we have a long way to go.

Still have to do some hose clamp crimp work to tidy this side up, we have our motion pro tap which we use to get fuel out of the tank for our cooker ... no extra bottle needed with 40 L or 10 Gallons on board.

The rest was just ergoes and redoing stuff, the previous owner set the throttle cables upsidedown so they were tight and more importantly the drainhole was then at the top allowing shit to get in there, first thing was to clean out the tide of mud in there.

We reset the bar position, I also tuned the Flexx bars to work as the previous owner had the swivels done up tight which was useless against their function, I also added a longer bolt incorporating another bush which may help in the corrugations or washboard.

No orange bushes tho

Although the mirrors were cool they would be useless for on the road so we changed them out.

We added the Super Moto windscreen.

The custom Crispy Designs graphics were removed from the tank panels as they were peeling up and coming off all by themselves, we only had to do the last bit, we are now covering the tank panels in stickers from different places.

The rest of the bike is now sorted we believe, there still sounds like a small piston slap/nunga but hopefully it is more my ears and some distrust rather than a failure waiting to happen ... time will tell.

This is our new RTW playstation .

Cheers fella, enjoy your riding time!!
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:44 PM   #2
pfdskipper
Westside Trash

Oddometer: 961
Nice!!!

Happy to see things looking up for you two. After all you have been through (AKA : Top ranking on the "hosed by a lying prick chart" ), and yet still managing to push on through that crap, I'm thinking that you guys are way overdue for some smooth sailing.

Impressive modifications for sure. One small item you might want to attend to is the very last portion of the subframe, meaning the top area where the two main pieces of aluminum frame meet. You will see that the two are not tied together very securely. This spot is where MANY of the breaks occur. Just a little bit more insurance that you will NOT regret.

Safe travels Andi and Ellen, nice to have met you guys.
Bob

P.S.
See pic below for location clarification.
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
syzygy9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
weight of the Jesses?

Hi Bob,

Can you tell me what the weight of the Jesse Oddyssey (~40L??) panniers (boxes and frames) are?

Very hard to find data on this on the net, I have seen a figure of 13.3pds (6kg) per box compared with 8.8pds (4kg) for the equivalent Touratech (35L) box.

I also went through the soft or hard debate and went soft bags due to the weight saving, but also ended up with too much stuff up too high and rear in a duffle bag on the rear rack. My thinking (as yours) is maybe a little more weight but better positioned, would work better.

Good luck with your ride (while I sit here in my office looking dreamily at the wide open spaces outside!).

syzygy9 screwed with this post 01-14-2013 at 08:33 PM
syzygy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:46 PM   #4
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,911
Quote:
Can you tell me what the weight of the Jesse Oddyssey (~40L??) panniers (boxes and frames) are?
The Jesse boxes are 11pounds each, looking at them they substantially stronger than the Tourtech boxes.

Quote:
One small item you might want to attend to is the very last portion of the subframe, meaning the top area where the two main pieces of aluminum frame meet.
Having a look at the way the racks have been made - this shouldn't be an issue for Andi, the load is transferred away from this and and onto the Pannier frames. It is a really clever design - after seeing it the flesh I am have to say I am very envious. It beats my Gobi setup hands down. The Jeese boxs are surprisingly light. If I was after a new set of boxes there would be daylight between these and any second choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfdskipper View Post

One small item you might want to attend to is the very last portion of the subframe, meaning the top area where the two main pieces of aluminum frame meet. You will see that the two are not tied together very securely. This spot is where MANY of the breaks occur. Just a little bit more insurance that you will NOT regret.]
Wouldn't minded slashing some extra plates and welding around the back but we were running around like blue ass flies as it was, my guess is it will crack somewhere down the track so we will have to deal with it then, for the moment it is braced heavily and not taking too much load but I am sure the washboard sorrows will turn up
Old 01-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #6
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygy9 View Post
compared with 8.8pds (4kg) for the equivalent Touratech (35L) box.
Our Jesses are 41L capacity, I was keen on the TT Zega cases until I had the luxury of straightening some out and I was a bit disappointed in them next to the Jesses hence our choice.

Quote:
I also went through the soft or hard debate and went soft bags due to the weight saving, but also ended up with too much stuff up too high and rear .
We battled with logic but in the end I am still a firm believer of lowering the C of G and stopping that ugly swing effect on shingle commonly called a tank slapper, it won't stop them but is sure will help not having a pendulum on the top back.

Quote:
Good luck with your ride (while I sit here in my office looking dreamily at the wide open spaces outside!).
Thanks mate, really appreciate that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciedema View Post
The Jesse boxes are 11pounds each, looking at them they substantially stronger than the Tourtech boxes.
See above, the Zegas are good but I believe certainly engineering wise and also finish wise the Jesses are miles ahead.

The other mod I did was drill 5 x 20 mm holes under the ECU backing plate in front of the air filter snorkel and trimmed the excess above it too, technically if I was in water up to that height I might compromise things by allowing water in the intake....chance of me getting that deep .... I will win lotto first .. and at that point I think we will have bigger issues.

My logic with this is there is a nice aerodynamic scoop (called a fuel tank) pushing clean air up to the front but it is all blocked off by KTM plastic etc, so in order to take advantage of this cleaner cooler air that is what I did.

The theory is that the snorkel intake will have cleaner and cooler air to intake rather than heated air from the engine and swirling dust etc vacuumed up by the bike, also with relocating the voltage along the LHS the extra air flow over that certainly won't hurt.

Will swing some pics up when I get a chance to take some in the day light.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #7
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Pics

Pics for those who are interested.

Looking in from the right

Close up but not easy to see.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #8
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,593
From my experience those plates are there to protect the electronics for water and debris incursion more so than anything else.

I have seen that area on an older 950 that didnt have those plastics in there and it was very grungy.

Might want to take a moment an make sure the connection into the ECU is protected with some dielectric grease as a precaution against water etc.
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #9
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM8 View Post
From my experience those plates are there to protect the electronics for water and debris incursion more so than anything else.

I have seen that area on an older 950 that didnt have those plastics in there and it was very grungy.

Might want to take a moment an make sure the connection into the ECU is protected with some dielectric grease as a precaution against water etc.
ECU etc all sit in front of that plate so it won't make any difference to that, will still check the connections tho that is a good idea.

There is nothing else electrical there either so nothing else can get grungy other than the front of the airbox lid which shouldn't short out
Old 02-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #10
BigNastybrp
Big Nasty

Oddometer: 644
thats a bad a$$ the picture of the two of you standing in the bags very nice I love it!
BigNastybrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:12 AM   #11
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,076
Good luck on your trip.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #12
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNastybrp View Post
thats a bad a$$ the picture of the two of you standing in the bags very nice I love it!
Yeah if it can take my pot belly we are good to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwik View Post
Good luck on your trip.
Thanks mate, making progress and seeing new things and enjoying ourselves again, everything a RTW trip should be

Loving the Jesses, they are absolutely the duck nuts , everything about them is great other than they are not self loading