Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #16
athomerecords25 OP
Vintage YZ *****

Oddometer: 99
Okay it says #2 on the front of the Shift Fork and 5 x 6 on the back of the Shift Fork and the Yamaha Dealer confirmed that it is in fact the correct Shift Fork (via the phone).
athomerecords25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:20 PM   #17
athomerecords25 OP
Vintage YZ *****

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainlesscycle View Post
it needs to have tension on it. it's what stops the barrel from slipping into another gear. it is the positive stop for each gear..
And here we go. This was the problem with the Tranny. Once I placed the Stop Lever Assembly End in between the gaps within the Selector Star bam it worked perfectly.

Now why did the Stop Lever Assembly End slip out from in between the gaps within the Selector Star is the question? Why would the Shift Drum back out far enough for the Stop Lever Assembly End to move from its location?

Any way I am just glad to to know what the issue is. It took a lot of Detective Work being that I cannot find my Manual anywhere. But now the issue is known.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:09 PM   #18
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,144
if the shift drum hung up when you split the case, it would lift up and let the shift stop slap behind it. glad it's fixed. 99.9% of all yamaha dirt transmissions are identical in design (and for that matter most any trans with a shift drum....), just minor changes. never had a 465/490 apart, but it's gotta be the same as all the others...just less gears..
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:19 AM   #19
athomerecords25 OP
Vintage YZ *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainlesscycle View Post
if the shift drum hung up when you split the case, it would lift up and let the shift stop slap behind it. glad it's fixed. 99.9% of all yamaha dirt transmissions are identical in design (and for that matter most any trans with a shift drum....), just minor changes. never had a 465/490 apart, but it's gotta be the same as all the others...just less gears..
Thank you sincerely for hanging in there and giving me ideas. Everyone else left like one post and bailed. I truly appreciate your efforts to help me. Not many out there like that anymore. The world is a changing.

I might go get some Yamaha Bond today and start buttoning her back up then rethreading the Counter Shaft End. I think I have time before Supercross on CBS and then the NFL Playoff Games.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #20
athomerecords25 OP
Vintage YZ *****

Everything has been buttoned back together. I am about to get some High Temp case paint and then it goes back into the Bike.