Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2010, 07:40 AM   #1
Alex_RO OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 194
KTM Alarm for Adventure 990 2007 ?

Hello !

Is there any way that this could have happened during... normal usage ?

If not, i am in need of an alarm for the bike. How good is the KTM PowerParts alarm ?

Any other suggestions ?
Alex_RO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:58 AM   #2
The Mariner
Matt of Finland

Oddometer: 48
You can get a chinese 2-way alarm cheaper than the whole KTM package (alarm, wiring and of course, bracket) which is essentially the same thing with a cool brand. The case with most alarm systems is that they are the same thing in a different package. Usually the remotes are the giveaways, same remote different label. If you want to go to the branded direction, then I would suggest Scorpio or Spyball.

If you fancy getting your bike back after it's been stolen, then your choice is Tramigo. It's a pingable GPS/GSM system which can be configured in a number of ways. Needs a sight of the sky though, so if your bike is lifted to a van for example the system might not work. You can order the system to do a number of things via SMS-messaging, like cut off all the power and lock the bike, if it has been moved.

Just my few cents, because have been there and still not decided. Many have reported problems with alarms, bike's not starting in the middle of nowhere, empty batteries and such.

I've got a Xena brand alarm shackle if having to leave my bike to the curb or someplace not so secure. It's made of stainless steel, weights 5 kg and gives a 120 db sound if tampered with. The alarm is based on a "bearing in a cup" setup. Goes nicely through your swingarm and rear wheel like a bicycle shackle or you can use it to secure your front wheel to a post.
The Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:35 AM   #3
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,373
Hmmm.

These bikes are embarrassingly easy to steal. Looks like your would-be thief was interrupted before he really started. Only takes 20seconds to ride one of these away.

I put a KTM alarm on my 950. The thing I like about the alarm is that its plug&play. That means no wiring loom gets fooked with & if the alarm takes a dump, I know how to unplug it & get the bike rolling again.

At 260 euro, its not too expensive. Ask anyone thats just had their bike stolen if they would pay 260 euro to get it back, they would happily pay double.
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noto
Hello !

Is there any way that this could have happened during... normal usage ?

If not, i am in need of an alarm for the bike. How good is the KTM PowerParts alarm ?

Any other suggestions ?
Are you asking about the bent sheet metal by the key slot? If so, mine looks far worse, and as far as I know, nobody has ever tried to steal it. the damage was partly because of a little crash that somehow bent the key over in the ignition without breaking it off, but it was starting before that.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:35 AM   #5
Alex_RO OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookymoo
Hmmm.

These bikes are embarrassingly easy to steal. Looks like your would-be thief was interrupted before he really started. Only takes 20seconds to ride one of these away.

I put a KTM alarm on my 950. The thing I like about the alarm is that its plug&play. That means no wiring loom gets fooked with & if the alarm takes a dump, I know how to unplug it & get the bike rolling again.

At 260 euro, its not too expensive. Ask anyone thats just had their bike stolen if they would pay 260 euro to get it back, they would happily pay double.
I know they're easy to steal it's just that... it was always someone else's problem. Now i'm a bit wiser.

I've put a XENA disklock on it for the moment. I'm looking into a XENA U-Lock also (i seem to remember that the 990 Adventure has a place under the seat for a u-lock... i'll take measurements tomorrow to see if i can find one that fits). I like XENA's because they have these...beeping things on them in case of movement.

The plug-and-play aspect is what draws me to the KTM alarm. Looking for reviews at the moment. The short snippet of info in the description ain't telling me much.

I've also looked at reviews for Scorpio alarms (Thanks The Mariner !!!). They seem quite nice (perimeter sensor, engine shut-off in case of sending the right command, pagers to warn you that the alarm was triggered, other geekish things) but ... can't stop thinking that it's just another thing to go wrong.

And there's the whole battery drainage thing to consider.

I'm under no illusion though. If somebody wants the bike, they'll get it eventually. I just wanna make it as hard as possible.

Mookymoo, any troubles with the KTM alarm so far ?

Thanks in advance !

Alex_RO screwed with this post 10-03-2010 at 11:50 AM
Old 10-03-2010, 11:38 AM   #6
Alex_RO OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer
Are you asking about the bent sheet metal by the key slot? If so, mine looks far worse, and as far as I know, nobody has ever tried to steal it. the damage was partly because of a little crash that somehow bent the key over in the ignition without breaking it off, but it was starting before that.
That's what i'm asking about (besides alarm info, i'm kinda nervous now...so i'll get one anyway). No crash since last friday (when the metal sheet looked dirty but fine).
Old 10-03-2010, 11:57 AM   #7
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,373
Quote:
None at all. Sensitivity is spot on. I had my bike parked outside with a big cover on - which would flap wildly in strong wind - only ever went off once as a false-alarm. Yet, nudge the bike and it goes off.
Ive left it 6 weeks and the battery was fine (the bike started ok).
Mind you, the 950 Alarm is different to the 990 alarm. (different make/model afaik)
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:12 PM   #8
The Mariner
Matt of Finland

Quote:
And there's the whole battery drainage thing to consider.

I'm under no illusion though. If somebody wants the bike, they'll get it eventually. I just wanna make it as hard as possible.

Thanks in advance !
The advantage with a two-way alarm system is that you know when your bike is being tampered with provided that you and the remote are within range. Essentially all modern systems are two-way in design and there's no point investing in a old system that does not have two-way capability.

Some manufacturers promise a range of 2 km for the remote and a power consumption so low, that you can run the alarm easily for six months without totally killing the battery.

I've seen two-way systems being sold at a local auto and convenience stores for less than 100 euro, and the systems have been the same chinese stuff that you can get online for like 50 euro. The stuff at the shop come with a shiny package and a cool label like VIPER or some other snake Only problem has been the obscure installation in worst case with no guide whatsoever and you have to cut into your bikes own harness.

Problem regarding KTM is that none of the big manufacturers provide a plug & play solution, so tampering with the bikes wiring harness is mandatory. The KTM's system has been reported being vulnerable to moisture and then there's the whole bracket thing they love so much(hey, buy a GPS oh you need the bracket too it's 50 quid extra). This the case last time I checked in the spring.

Problem with the Tramigo system is that the device itself is a bit bulky, so installation will be a problem(goes easily under the seat of ADV though) and it needs a view of the sky or an external antenna, which has to be placed so that it sees the sky(a plate of a kind, about 5x5 cm). Anyone into jacking bikes will know to look for this. It also needs a GSM-package from a operator capable of sending and receiving SMS and the system itself, it isn't cheap. Cool though to check your bike via your mobile and with little adjustment it can do a bunch of things for you. Kind of curious though that the system itself does not have an audible alarm to my understanding, but you can wire an alarm of your choice as the Tramigo system works independent of other alarm systems installed.

Having a couple of brewskies, hope that the text made sense
Old 10-03-2010, 12:26 PM   #9
The Mariner
Matt of Finland

Oh and about XENA locks, ordered mine from UK as there is no local dealer and the alarm component(looks china made piece of crap) had broken as the batteries had died and bulged up breaking the cover. No problem, bought new batteries and wondered why won't they use normal AA size as the body of the shackle allows this, and it works again. Should have sent the whole thing back as it was clearly broken when it left the retailers shelf, but had waited for the thing for couple of weeks and somekind of DIY-spirit came over me. For some reason they pack the batteries into the device and seal the whole thing in plastic, so it will break in the shelf sooner or later.

The body of the shackle is well made, but the chamber where you insert the alarm electronics package is very roughly machined or whatever system they use. Tried to lube it with gun oil but sun heated the whole thing and the oil dripped to the pavement. Also the lock itself could be more secure, but I'm used to Abloy, so it's only my opinion.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:50 PM   #10
Alex_RO OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mariner
Oh and about XENA locks, ordered mine from UK as there is no local dealer and the alarm component(looks china made piece of crap) had broken as the batteries had died and bulged up breaking the cover. No problem, bought new batteries and wondered why won't they use normal AA size as the body of the shackle allows this, and it works again. Should have sent the whole thing back as it was clearly broken when it left the retailers shelf, but had waited for the thing for couple of weeks and somekind of DIY-spirit came over me. For some reason they pack the batteries into the device and seal the whole thing in plastic, so it will break in the shelf sooner or later.

The body of the shackle is well made, but the chamber where you insert the alarm electronics package is very roughly machined or whatever system they use. Tried to lube it with gun oil but sun heated the whole thing and the oil dripped to the pavement. Also the lock itself could be more secure, but I'm used to Abloy, so it's only my opinion.
Thanks for the warning !

Got the same feeling when i bought the disklock ('bout a year ago...and i kinda forgot about it).

Security devices are on limited offer locally BUT there's a XENA seller in town so will check them out again. I'm looking at ABUS stuff also.

In other news, i found the unbranded KTM alarm (M+S LEGOS 4) at www.louis.de for 160 Euros. Quite a bit cheaper than the KTM branded (correction, i don't think it's EVEN branded KTM, just jacked up in price by 100 Euros) one AND apparently you can add a perimeter sensor, a remote pager and a vibration sensor (it adds a bit of bulk but nobody says that all the sensors have to be grouped together or installed at the same time). There's also an option for a mini-Legos (M+S Legos 2) alarm at 100 Euros.

Hell, i can get the alarm AND the extra sensors AND replicate the separate "connectors kit" (whick i would have to buy in addition to the KTM alarm) for the same price as KTM alarm alone.

I'll keep digging.

Alex_RO screwed with this post 10-03-2010 at 12:59 PM
Old 09-04-2012, 10:15 AM   #11
990 Kottarainen
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hello!

Does ANYBODY have english manual for LEGOS 2 alarm system??? I bought such alarm from Louis/Germany but there was only german language one with unit and Louis web sites wouldnt help me at all in this "problem". I would be VERY HAPPY if someone can send web link or scan such manual to me My @mail is: finnpaso@gmail.com

Btw, i want to put it to my bike, KTM 990 Adventure (2007)

Thank You already for help
990 Kottarainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:00 AM   #12
Tafella
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
KTM Alarm

the original KTM adventure 990 alarm for GBP 59,-- plus shipping:

http://abacuscaralarms.co.uk/alarmsh...&productId=428

Plug and play for the KTM Adventure 990...
This is the OEM model but without the KTM logos

Bought it, installed it, works great!

cheers
Richard
Old 01-16-2013, 11:13 AM   #13
Alex_RO OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tafella View Post
the original KTM adventure 990 alarm for GBP 59,-- plus shipping:

http://abacuscaralarms.co.uk/alarmsh...&productId=428

Plug and play for the KTM Adventure 990...
This is the OEM model but without the KTM logos

Bought it, installed it, works great!

cheers
Richard
The "Meta Def Com 3" one ? No additional wiring loom required ?

Thank you, Alex
Old 01-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #14
Tafella
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Yep, Defcom3 / no additional wiring loom needed
the plug is already in your original wiring loom...(under the tray between the tanks)
plug and play.

ypu can compare with this one:
http://www.ktm-versand.de/product_in...GE--07-10.html

cheers
Richard