User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #1
peterman OP
cop magnet

Oddometer: 12,809
tank bags,,

My bike was stolen recently, but it has returned home thanks to Facebook viewers and local moto folks posting about it, and the constabulary.
Anyhow, the tank bag did not come home with the bike, it was an older Marsee small size, no longer available.
Well, I did a search here to see if there is any info or feedback regarding different tank bags. Most specifically, has anyone bought a particular bag that they did NOT like, and why?
I need a replacement, and leaning toward the Wolfman explorer lite.
What is your favorite tank bag?
peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:08 PM   #2
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 761
map holder

I would like to throw out one idea for consideration. When time came for a new tank bag an idea came to me. I though about all the times over the years that the plastic turned a smoky yellow, or the road I was looking for was always on the other side of the fold, or rain or condensate had turned my map into mush. More importantly, I thought about the number of times I had succumbed to the temptation to try to find my place on the map while still moving down the road... and the adrenaline levels that that can lead to. If the map is right there under your nose, sooner or later you'll try to glance down & find something. After 25 years of that, I took the big step & bought a bag with no map sleeve on top. It has an upper level that zips open like a travel planner or appointment book, with half cellophane strips placed to hold open a map or atlas. It even has a red ribbon bookmark to keep a place in a guide book. Now I have to pull over to the side & come to a stop to check the map. It takes 90 seconds longer but reduces the "excitement" factor. (BTW...mine is the MotoFizz Through Bag, a tad expensive, beautifully built.)
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #3
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,857
I don't have much tank bag experience, but I own two. A nelson rigs magnetic, and a bags connection tank lock type, both are great but the NR can hold twice the stuff.

I'm sure id be happy with many others, there are dozens of good bags out these. First you need to consider the size, then how it mounts to the tank, do you want a map case, etc.

Good luck

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #4
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,184
My favorite tank bag is the small Wolfman expedition. I like the small because that's the one that will fit on my XRL. I like the expedition because it has no zipper. I always manage to wear out the zippers on my tank bags. With the expedition there is no zipper to wear out.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,230
I use a Igio magnetic tank bag,it holds four point secure.It has not scratched my tank(s).It is large enough to put my wallet,cell phone,keys,contact lens solution,garage door opener.....and if I wanted, another item or two of similiar size as past described.They cost around $45.00.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:01 PM   #6
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,571
Biggest problem with tank bags is the horn button pressed when turning .. the bag presses the button when the bars are on full lock.

I f you want a small tank bag - then I have and use an 'Andy Strapz' bag.. http://www.andystrapz.com/products-d...yId=43&Level=1
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:28 PM   #7
SkidmarkSteve
Never say die

Oddometer: 29
Giant Loop Fandango

The Fandango has been good for me. Totally waterproof and feels like it has been made to last. The only caveat is a small map pocket; you will have to fold it up tight and just shove it in there. That is not a huge concern if you run GPS and I have done just fine as my local travel area can be displayed without removing/adjusting the map.

1972 Suzuki GT380 (gone but not forgotten)
2011 Massey Ferguson NightRod Special (gone....forgotten)
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
SkidmarkSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:11 AM   #8
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 7,498
anyone looking for soft luggage owes it to themselves to check RKA-luggage dot com . . . . .good products, designed by riders, mae in teh USA, with outstanding service if needed.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:31 AM   #9
VFR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
That Marsee tank bag was my first bag. Still have it & use it a lot. I have bought a bunch since--Wolfman, Nelson-Rigg, Roadgear. etc. So far my other fave is the Roadgear bag. The plus feature for those is the expandable side pockets. They are pleated, so if you don't have anything in them, they are flat, unlike others. Roadgear makes good stuff, also in Colorado like Wolfman. I have tankbags, saddlebags & duffelbags from both.

I am a fan of the RKA bags but don't have any. My other bags expand to hold bulky or more items, but the RKA expansion is another bag of the same size on top. That works for some but not for me. Quality wise, they are right up there.

If it ain't fun, I don't do it!!!

Stuff - I need more Stuff....
VFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:35 AM   #10
dasrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
I've only owned two tank bags in my riding career - a Nelson Rigg CL300 mini magnetic and my current Ogio Super mini tanker. I prefer smaller, lower profile bags for my usual short commutes or less than 1-day rides. The NR is discontinued, but was a great bag. It held its shape when empty, had some nice reflective piping on the sides, had plenty of room and organizational pockets and the magnets were very strong. I only sold it, well, because I like new things.

The Ogio has a lower profile, but doesn't keep its shape when empty. There's no reflective piping and the magnets aren't as strong. I don't think it would move on its own, but it certainly doesn't take as much effort to shift or remove the bag. For my purposes though, it works fine. The price was good too, at less than $60.
dasrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:34 PM   #11
1P8RIOT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Thumb Super mini

I have the Cortech super mini and am very happy with it. Since they are hard to find, when I see one I grab it. I just got a used one off ebay but it's like new so it's in better shape than mine. Mine is still in ok shape and if you think it'll work for you, I'll send it to you when my new one comes in.

'09 F800GS YEAH BABY!!!
1P8RIOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:25 PM   #12
Aleeoop70
EX-MX Adv Tourist

Oddometer: 95
Tank Bag

I've had several tank bags and my favorite used on my DR650 and my WR250R is the Wolfman Explorer. You can get the Explorer Lite if you don't need as much room. With the Explorer, the bag rests partially on the fuel cap. I use a 90 degree plastic vacuum fitting inline in the vent hose on the Yamaha, so the hose doesn't get pinched (it allows the line to lie flat under the front of the bag). On the DR, I have a vented cap from Pro Cycle on my IMS 4.9 gal tank and both systems work without starving the bike for fuel. The Explorer is roomy, doesn't get in my way and has an available velcro on map window that holds 8.5x11 documents. Very durable too. The Rainier is great too but it's for bigger bikes. These are all made to work well on tanks that are slanted toward the rear.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #13
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,571
Tank Bags

My experince thus far
- Wolfman Expedition Large - Nice bag, very waterproof, hold a ton-o-shit, proably too much. Wish it had some easy to access pocket. Best when you need to haul stuff more than actually accessing stuff while riding.
- GL Fandango - Great bag. Not waterproof, but close (comes with a tube of seam sealer). Like the map pocket, easy on/off of bike, but zipper is a little finicky. Size is just right for me (not too big, not too small). Again no easy to access pockets, but probably best as those can leak.
- Bags Connection Engage - Powered! Like that I can run my fuzz-buster and charge stuff in the bag (that being said, I retrofitted my GL Fandango with and SE connection and it that does that fine for a lot less money. Quick lock system is cool also the bag connects to gas cap and "floats" above the tank an inch or so so it doesn't scratch it all up. Couple of easy to access pockets. Map holder was and extra charge. Not waterproof, but comes with a cover. Also not cheap...damn germans. Good solution if you don't want to scratch your pretty bike, other than that...meh.

If I had to choose one, it'd be the fandango, alas it's not cheap either. I'd alos look into some of the other Wolfman bags, they seem well made and supportive of ADV riders etc. (Rainer, Explorer etc). Just be sure to get a rain cover.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:02 PM   #14
redwing51
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
After looking for a rainproof tankbag, I chose an Enduristan bag from Black Dog Cycle Works. www.blackdogcw.com
They are great people- a small company whose owners ride and use the products that they sell. The Enduristan bag is waterproof with a waterproof map pocket. I love it. It comes in two sizes to fit most bikes.
redwing51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:11 PM   #15
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterman View Post
My bike was stolen recently, but it has returned home thanks to Facebook viewers and local moto folks posting about it, and the constabulary.
Anyhow, the tank bag did not come home with the bike, it was an older Marsee small size, no longer available.
Well, I did a search here to see if there is any info or feedback regarding different tank bags. Most specifically, has anyone bought a particular bag that they did NOT like, and why?
I need a replacement, and leaning toward the Wolfman explorer lite.
What is your favorite tank bag?
The important things to consider when buying a tankbag:
  1. What bike is in going on? The shape of the tank dictates the shape of the bag. A flat bag fits best on a flat gas tank. A tank with a steep drop off requires a bag with a different profile.
  2. Handlebars - The shape and the rake of the handlebars dictates the size and shape of the tankbag as well.
  3. Are you using it daily? Is this an everything bag or something you drag out once in a while on longer trips. Your needs on a daily basis usually requires less volume than when you are crossing the country.
  4. Do you use maps or GPS? A map guy would need a map pocket but a GPS guy might need a bag with an accessory mount on it or none at all if he mounts it to another location.
  5. Do you remove it regularly or will it be installed and left there? If you're going to remove it regularly then you want it easy to remove. If you do not have to move it to fill the gas tank and just plan to leave it there a strap style bag is fine.
  6. Do you care about scratches? If you use a magnetic tankbag or anything that makes contact with the tank then you are going to have scratches. No matter how fastidious you are about dirt and dust some wuill get between the bag and the tank. Any movement of the bag will cause minor scratching.

I'm sure there are a few other factors to consider.... but this will help you at least come up with a list of attributes to weigh when you are making a decision.

Good luck.

Kevin