Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #16
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
Just be sure to get a rain cover.
I am the proud owner of several Wolfman bags, all brilliant and I love them...but, unless they have drastically improved their rain covers, don't waste your money. A roadside shopping bag would be more useful.

Rain cover on my Bags Connection Engage has been brilliant in contrast, even surviving a 3 hr ride through a hurricane, with nary a drop getting into my stuff.
JTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:21 PM   #17
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,402
I currently use this one, http://www.revzilla.com/product/dowc...nture-tank-bag, but I've had great success with a chase harper eurosport, http://www.chaseharper.com/TankBags/...01&fr=1501.htm& , yes, it's huge, but it works and lasted me 20 years before it started to wear out.
I used to use harro bags also, but ya cant get them no mo. Shame, they looked just right on an airhead.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:36 AM   #18
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
I must have gone through 30 or so different tank bags over the years, I have about 10 that I keep around. 3\4 of which I do not use since the bikes they were bought for have been sold.

What kind of bike is it for? That would determine the shape.
What do you use it for? Permanent fixture on the bike or a day bag that will mount to the bike?
Do you NEED a map pocket?

I like Held and Marsee personally for brands, but I also have the new AXIO, as well as the GL Fandango and the Kriega tank adapter (but I use it with an Osprey crampon pocket). Again, it depends on the bike it's going on.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:02 AM   #19
syzygy9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
don't get the KTM branded tank bag!

Being a loyal KTM 990 owner, I purchased a branded KTM tank bag with the bike. The bag zips on to a base that is strapped to the tank. Seems like a good idea until a 0 km/hr drop in sand, the bag pulled off the base at the zip, ripping a few zipper teeth out with it rendering the zipper useless. I strapped the tank bag top the base with copious amounts of duct tape and continued. Bag replaced by KTM and lo and behold exactly the same thing happened to the second bag. Took the now two broken bags to a local seamstress who sewed the bags to the base and no more issues.

This contrasts with a friend who on the same trip, had a major 80km/hr off including overturning the bike a couple of times and his Touratech tank bad held fast.

Although I like the size and shape of the KTM bag, the zipped base is useless, count on having it sewn to the base if you purchase one. There are probably better purchases out there.

syzygy9 screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 08:06 PM
syzygy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #20
Eladbern
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
I've been using wolfman bags for the last couple years and couldn't be happier with them. I've got a larger version of the Ranier tank bag that's no longer made the beta duffel and pannier bags. A friend also runs the Ranier the expidition duffel and the panniers they have all help up to thousands of miles in all weather conditions. Couldn't be happier with them. My previous tank bag was a Joe rocket manta and it spent far more time on the shelf than on the bike.
Eladbern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:29 PM   #21
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTT View Post
I am the proud owner of several Wolfman bags, all brilliant and I love them...but, unless they have drastically improved their rain covers, don't waste your money. A roadside shopping bag would be more useful.

Rain cover on my Bags Connection Engage has been brilliant in contrast, even surviving a 3 hr ride through a hurricane, with nary a drop getting into my stuff.
Joe! Moving in on Wed. Time for us to plan a pizza party
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:54 AM   #22
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1P8RIOT View Post
I have the Cortech super mini and am very happy with it. Since they are hard to find, when I see one I grab it. I just got a used one off ebay but it's like new so it's in better shape than mine. Mine is still in ok shape and if you think it'll work for you, I'll send it to you when my new one comes in.

I do the same thing. My current Super Mini is getting kinda worn. I have a like-new backup waiting for me and I'm always keeping an eye on eBay and Craigslist for another.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote