Originally Posted by ENDODB4 View Post
You haven't seen my girl..
Oh, my condolences.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:39 AM   #18
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
I don't go out to just look at it. I'll go out and clean it slowly, or do little things to it (installing or tweaking farkles, etc). But I generally do that when it's too cold to ride or the roads are snowy/icy. When the weather is at or above about 30, I'll generally ride...then when I'm done I'll do the cleaning, tweaking farkles, etc.

'13 Wee-Strom, hacked, re-geared, Ohlins suspension
My Wee-Strom Hack
'14 KLR...I love this thing!
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:51 AM   #19
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,044
What garage?
Old 01-16-2013, 07:53 AM   #20
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
What garage?
Substitute the word "living room" for "garage" and you'll be fine.

'13 Wee-Strom, hacked, re-geared, Ohlins suspension
My Wee-Strom Hack
'14 KLR...I love this thing!
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:57 AM   #21
ishmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Yes, I occasionally go out to my garage, pull the sheets off the bike and stand look at it. What a good feeling! So can't wait til the spring kicks in here in central Scotland. Minus 6 this morning, horrible..!!

Roll on sunny/warm/dry days when I can look at my bike more in the garage.
ishmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #22
scottalot
Blank Space

Oddometer: 140
I walk around eying my bike constantly. My wife thought I was nuts for a while but now she has adapted. I look at it, rub here and there, pick at stuff, it gets more attention that she does :) I left the house a few minutes early this morning and rode down by the water in time for the sunrise. My bike runs better when I get romantic with her/it. But, being the southern Gent that I am I just can't bring myself to lay her down - knocking on wood now :)
Old 01-16-2013, 10:02 AM   #23
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,529
Threads like this make me glad I live where it's easy to ride all year.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:39 AM   #24
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractalsource View Post
If your not staring at your bike in your spare time, then maybe you need a different bike.

Bingo! Unlike wives, you should replace your motorcycle when the passion is no longer there. It doesn't have to be an expensive exotic bike, just interesting. I even stare at my dirty old '83 XL600. The dirtier it is, the more I like it.

There is another good reason to do that: you are more likely to notice if something is wrong before it becomes a hazard. ie. loose bolts, broken spokes, an oil leak, a flat tire, whatever. (sorry for bringing logic into this )
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:57 AM   #25
Mnrider2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
I Tell my wife I'm working on them but actually I'm just sitting there drinking beer and looking at them and thinking about all the cool rides and trips they took me on.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:06 AM   #26
fractalsource
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
Bingo! Unlike wives, you should replace your motorcycle when the passion is no longer there. It doesn't have to be an expensive exotic bike, just interesting. I even stare at my dirty old '83 XL600. The dirtier it is, the more I like it.

There is another good reason to do that: you are more likely to notice if something is wrong before it becomes a hazard. ie. loose bolts, broken spokes, an oil leak, a flat tire, whatever. (sorry for bringing logic into this )
Only 6 more months of Ice and snow. Here in Idaho. I'll be in the garage in the meantime. Don't worry I will open the door if I let her run.
Yes! Double dog dare Bingo! "A SMASHING TIME" - ALONE IN THE GARAGE WITH THE BIKE!
I believe he is on to something here! The truth. By touching each spoke, taking the time to feel the tension. By lifting the chain, feeling how it bends on each link, then dropping the chain on the sprocket and hearing the sound: "clink." Looking at it sprocket teeth. How are they wearing? - Allowing the clutch and brake levers to snap back. How are those cables? Need some lube? Hearing the sound of the electrical system, click when the ignition key is twisted. etc, - while staring at the bike in the garage, you look for hair line cracks on all the parts. Laying on ones back on the cold floor, feeling finally free in meditation, while studying the patterns of mud and rock scrapes on the bash plate.. Moving the blinkers, with their flashing bulbs in test, to check their sturdiness. The irresistible temptation of checking the oil over and over. Sometimes by screwing the dipstick all the way in. Sometimes not. Sometimes on the sidestand, Sometimes on the center stand. Sometimes cold sometimes hot. Feeling inside the hole for grit, etc! This is the truth. We get deeply acquainted and familiarized with every nuance. We can tell if someone has been touching it, that maybe should not have. Some one has left a mark on its plastics that tells a story. I become a forensic scientist mapping a present past and future. A time less romance. A true bond. What allows me to ride over 100 mph and feel safer.

fractalsource screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 11:10 AM Reason: Added
fractalsource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #27
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post

Yeah, not so much. I'm more than capable of a security once-over, but I have better things to do than stare at inanimate objects with my spare time.

If you like looking at pretty things just for the sake of looking at pretty things, they have these buildings with objects of art in them you should visit.

Of course, I can ride all year round and do. Maybe if I lived in deep snow country I'd feel different, but I doubt it.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:49 AM   #28
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,885
It is starting to sound a little like a "I need to get laid" thread.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:48 PM   #29
gstt500
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I have a wee strom so I don't stare very long.
gstt500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:34 PM   #30
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,316
We use to laugh about Pee Wee Herman walking out to the garage and telling his bike good morning when that first movie came out.

We thought only us motorcycle freaks would do such a thing. Turns out lots of people have a silly ritual like that for their toys. Me inculded.

I looked for the clip on youtube but could not find it.