User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
Timmy Tucker OP
Beat to Fit

Oddometer: 816
School me on full size trucks...

Gonna have to replace mine before the year's up. I've had a Silverado 1500 for the last 8 years and I've been pretty happy with it, but I'm ready for something different. I will be buying used, my budget is under $20K, and preferably closer to $15K. It will double as my work truck (towing a 5x8 tool trailer daily) and my personal vehicle.

I'm mostly curious about the Tundra and the Titan. How would they hold up pulling a trailer every day? I should probably mention that I will also be upgrading to a 12' or 14' tandem axle trailer in another year or 2. Also, I usually put between 30K - 40K miles a year on my truck. An even mix of interstate and stop and go traffic.

Don't know anyone that owns either one of these trucks so I know nothing at all about them. Any issues or common problems to look out for?
Old 01-16-2013, 06:40 PM   #2
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,280
Having went from a 5'X8' to a 14' tandem V-nose, at work, I would suggest going with a diesel. The tandem pulls so much harder and the fact that size is, usually, taller height. The increase in resistance is massive. When I bought my personal trailer, I went all-aluminum, 7'X12' V-nose (15' overall interior length), and single axle, as I didn't want a tandem.

The only thing I ever hear about Nissan is poor mileage from the 5.6L. You'd probably be better served to join brand-specific forums and troll around.
ducnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
avocadofarmer
Fruit Coot

Oddometer: 254
Avoid diesel. It does not even come close to paying off.

New Tundra gets pretty good reviews.
avocadofarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:52 PM   #4
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,317
Researching the same thing, I've read the Titan shits rear differentials. I found enough complaints about them I've decided to stay clear. Heard nothing but good things re 5.7 L tundra.
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:59 PM   #5
dieselpete
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Unless you plan on servicing, and repairing the diesel yourself go for the Tundra.

If you decide on a used diesel select a 5.9 Cummins in the Dodge Ram with a six speed manual transmission. The Dodge part sucks, but the Cummins is the only choice as you keep the trucks a while.
dieselpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
Timmy Tucker OP
Beat to Fit

Oddometer: 816
I really want to avoid going w/ a diesel if possible. From what I understand, the maintenance is a lot more $$ and the fuel isn't cheap either. I pull my boss's 6x12 single axle occasionally and it doesn't seem like much more of a load than my 5x8. Does a tandem axle make that much of a difference?
Old 01-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #7
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,436
titan vs. tundra
titan is known as a gas hog, but not as much as the 5.7 Tundra.
The first year Titan ate diffs, you can spot them as they have a stamped diff cover. After '05 they got a finned aluminum cover and the offroad model got improvments in the locker starting in '08. Not much changed on the Titan since it was launched in '04, just minor improvments over it's life. Having driven both, the tundra has tons of little nooks and crannys to stuff stuff in. But I HATE the snappy throttle, you cannot be gentle without really working at it. The brakes also have a wierd feel to them I don't like. Avoid the Titan before '07, the brakes sucked as well, after '08 they got a lot bigger and a lot better.

With your choices, '08 and newer Titan is what I would pick. Maybe the small engine tundra but not the 5.7 engine.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:39 PM   #8
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocadofarmer View Post
Avoid diesel. It does not even come close to paying off.
I was suggesting the diesel for performance and not payoff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy Tucker View Post
I really want to avoid going w/ a diesel if possible. From what I understand, the maintenance is a lot more $$ and the fuel isn't cheap either.
The maintenance is more, but, less frequent.

Driven with discipline, the diesel will get you much better fuel mileage, than a gasser, while towing. Empty, my Silverado/5.3L/auto/3.73 gets ~20hwy/~14city. Towing, that drops to 10-12, depending on the wind.

The drivetrain is much heavier, in a HD pickup. Therefore, you'll get much longer service life out of everything (brakes, tires, suspension, rearend, etc). My truck has oversize rotors and I'm on my second set, because of warping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocadofarmer View Post
I pull my boss's 6x12 single axle occasionally and it doesn't seem like much more of a load than my 5x8. Does a tandem axle make that much of a difference?
You should find a dealer who has comparable sized trailers in single and tandem axle, to compare pulling.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:42 PM   #9
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpete View Post
If you decide on a used diesel select a 5.9 Cummins in the Dodge Ram with a six speed manual transmission. The Dodge part sucks, but the Cummins is the only choice as you keep the trucks a while.
Or, a completely stock Superduty 4X4 with a 7.3L Powerstroke and service records.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #10
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,634
Or, an F250 Superduty 4x4 with the 5.4 V8.
IBA #24873
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:51 PM   #11
sloMark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 817
2011 Tundra crewmax with the 5.7...........it hauls ass and it eats gas, so be it....

It's my 4th Toyota pick up, first full size. I had an 87' , a 2002, and a 2006. I like it. My one complaint would be the the body, the actual metal parts. Seems the bed side metal is super thin, dents easy. The "bumpers" - my 3 yr old bent my rear bumper when he ran into my truck parked in the driveway with his Power Wheels Jeep , kinda pissed me off. I mean really it's not the bumper he bent but the silly bumper cover everything has now. Mechanically it feels strong, tight....

Got a buddy who sings the praises of his Ecoboost F150. He traded his diesel Ford on it, he likes it a lot, he tows skid steers and shit like that with it. Curious to see the long term deal with the Ecoboost's super hi Rpm twin turbos....

SloWife has a 2006 v8 (smaller one) 4runner, just turned 100k miles, great motor, great car so far.

Ford Atlas!!! There ya go!

sloMark screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 10:09 PM
sloMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:03 PM   #12
gonerydin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
I've had my '02 Tundra 4.7 4x4 for 10 years now. It has been the most reliable, trouble free piece of equipment I have ever owned. The only part that has ever broken on this truck is the heater control knob ($7). Hell, it even still has the original battery. It pulled my 22' Jayco with ease.
gonerydin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:27 AM   #13
tkitna
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonerydin View Post
I've had my '02 Tundra 4.7 4x4 for 10 years now. It has been the most reliable, trouble free piece of equipment I have ever owned. The only part that has ever broken on this truck is the heater control knob ($7). Hell, it even still has the original battery. It pulled my 22' Jayco with ease.
You've had better luck then me then. I have a 2003 that's starting to turn me away from Toyota. Its an extended cab TRD, 4X4 with the 4.7. That truck has the worst brakes of any vehicle I have ever driven. Seriously. I've gotten used to the double pump action, but i'm afraid to have other people drive it.The sliders freeze in the front calibers and you have to clean and grease them constantly. I just had $2500 worth of brake work done (new everything) and its no better. The rear drum brakes are a joke too. I've mentioned the master cylinder several times and had several different people drive and wok on the truck and it never seems to get changed for some reason. Who knows. I'll keep driving it, but would never tow anything with it.

Besides the crappy brakes, i've had more o2 sensors changed then I think the truck could possibly have, the entire underneath is rusting away, ball joints, sway bar end links broke, the window regulators need greased all the time, worst radio in any stock vehicle i've ever owned, the hood latch just broke and got replaced, and besides all that crap, its going to need the timing belt replaced in the next 4000 miles. Who in the fuck puts timing belts in V8's for cripes sake. That'll be another $1000+ that I dont really want to spend. I havent gotten the rear cross member rust recall done yet either.

The sad thing is that as pissed off as I am with this truck, i'd still probably buy a new Tundra. The issues I have seem minor to what my brothers and friends have had with the other brands. Like I said before, I wish Honda would make a full size pickup. If they did, thats what I would own.

2008 DL650
2013 Goldwing
tkitna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:17 AM   #14
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloMark View Post

Got a buddy who sings the praises of his Ecoboost F150. He traded his diesel Ford on it, he likes it a lot, he tows skid steers and shit like that with it. Curious to see the long term deal with the Ecoboost's super hi Rpm twin turbos....

Are you referencing engine RPM or Turbo RPM, all turbos spin fast that is how they work. The Ecoboost isn't particularly a high-rpm engine it produces power very similarly to a Hemi.

Check it here. http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/t...no-tested.html

I had a 300ZX TT that I dogged the SHIT out of for 125,000 miles when I sold it. I never had any other issues than burning up tires and beating up suspension parts. I only really ever had it tuned a bit, it was all stock in the drivetrain.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:03 AM   #15
leakypetcock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
I have an '07 Titan Crew Cab. Best truck I've ever owned, worst gas mileage since my '68 Oldsmobile Toronado. Huge interior, simple controls and an engine that puts out plenty of power. I haven't had any problems but I don't know if I'd trust that transmission to tow a lot of weight every day.
Great truck and if you're buying used like I did you get a lot of truck for the money.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: