Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #31
NSpooner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
I had an 04 Titan that was a good truck but IMO it sucked balls for towing with. It liked to shift way too much and got terrible mileage. It looked cool though

Previously I had a 7.3 excursion which was essentially trouble free up to 175k miles, but finding good condition 7.3's would be tough, plus those things are getting old so you are going to see a lot more stuff dry out/leak, etc now a days.

A couple years ago I had an 05 Duramax crew cab and that thing was great. If you go Duramax you want 04.5 and later to get the more reliable injectors. I got nearly 20 unloaded and 9-12 with a 24' enclosed.

The thing with diesels is that towing is so much more relaxed-you can go up a pretty steep hill at 70 and it won't even downshift. The brakes are better, better transmission, suspension, etc. The maintenance isn't really that bad especially if you are doing it yourself. Also you have to look at resale-yeah they are more to buy, but you can sell them way easier and hold their value well. Once you've had a diesel, its very hard to go back.

I would think you could find an 04.5+ duramax fairly easily in your price range. I think I got 21k for mine 2 years ago with 100k miles, crew cab, leather, etc. Hardest thing is finding one.
NSpooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #32
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,063
if you are not interested in the best, which are 12v Cummins. the next best are 7.3 Ford 2000-2003 seems to command highest prices.

super tough motors with a late model body
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:47 AM   #33
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,095
With the amount of miles that the OP puts on annually, a diesel makes lots of sense.

We recently traded our '07 Chevy 3/4 ton x-cab gas (becoming a rust bucket) in for a '12 Chevy 3/4 ton crewcab gas to haul our truck camper. Nice truck and the 6 speed auto is MUCH better than the older 4 speed.
Because of riding the bikes, I cut way back on driving it to the office during warmer weather. Maybe 10,000 miles/year, so going with gas makes $$$ sense for me- the truck gets around 10-11 mpg.

But upwards of 30,000+ miles per year plus towing? The $$ premium for an oil burner is a no brainer. Better towing, much better fuel mileage.

sugarhillctd on the
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:41 AM   #34
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
if you are not interested in the best, which are 12v Cummins. the next best are 7.3 Ford 2000-2003 seems to command highest prices.

super tough motors with a late model body

Those big dodges you may as well just take them in and have the subframe braced. They crack, often.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:21 AM   #35
gmiguy
You rode a what to where?

Oddometer: 1,167
Feedback from a friend who is a Nissan product development engineer: Do not buy a Titan.
gmiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:59 AM   #36
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmiguy View Post
Feedback from a friend who is a Nissan product development engineer: Do not buy a Titan.

Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:15 AM   #37
2ndSPACE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,390
I manage a fleet of vehicles that includes Tundras from 2000 on, GM's and Fords.

Tundras are ok as a weekend warrior truck. The only good I can say is the engine is strong. As mentioned earlier the body is made of cheap, thin metal. The wheel wells bend under my feet (165#), the bumper can be flexed downward with the push of a single finger.

My 2008 (160000 miles) double cab long bed can barley make it 300 miles on a tank of fuel which means a refuel everyday. By comparison the 2500HD I drove prior to the Tundra got the same 12 -13 mpg and could go almost 400 miles on its appropriately size fuel tank. After 13 years in production Toyota still can't put brakes under it that don't warp rotors within a few thousand miles of use. We see 40000 miles plus out the Chevy and Ford brakes with few warped rotors.

Toyota's goofy looking exaggerated long wheel base makes it very difficult to maneuver in tight areas. Everything about the Tundra feels and looks big just to be big.

One last thing, crawl under the Tundra and look at the cross members, or lack of, in the C channel frame.

If you are buying a truck to work with stick to Chevy, Ford and maybe Dodge.
2ndSPACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #38
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,230
OP; any developments?

I'm in the same boat as you with the same budget, interested to hear your thoughts, as I haven't found a solution I'm happy with yet.

Seems there's a plethora of 5.3L cat-eye body style silverados with around 100k available for ~$13k. It's actually pretty tempting to try and save a few grand for a higher mileage truck that gets decent fuel mileage with a motor known to do an easy 200k, even though the interiors are gawd awful.

Diesels around here in my (our) pricerange mostly have +170k miles, except for the 6.0s which I want no part of.
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:01 AM   #39
1greenmachine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
OP; any developments?

Seems there's a plethora of 5.3L cat-eye body style silverados with around 100k available for ~$13k. It's actually pretty tempting to try and save a few grand for a higher mileage truck that gets decent fuel mileage with a motor known to do an easy 200k, even though the interiors are gawd awful.

Diesels around here in my (our) pricerange mostly have +170k miles, except for the 6.0s which I want no part of.
I have the Chevy like you said and its a nice truck but if you are pulling a trailer a lot then get a 3/4 ton withe the 6.0 because you,all really work the 5.3. Most 1/2tons could work but limit you if you want a bigger trailer later on.

Like you said with diesels, any decent priced ones will have tons of miles and then require work that adds up fast.
1greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:07 AM   #40
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greenmachine View Post
I have the Chevy like you said and its a nice truck but if you are pulling a trailer a lot then get a 3/4 ton withe the 6.0 because you,all really work the 5.3. Most 1/2tons could work but limit you if you want a bigger trailer later on.

Like you said with diesels, any decent priced ones will have tons of miles and then require work that adds up fast.

Without Hijacking any further; I'll only be pulling a small boat and a snowmobile trailer with a few sleds, so a 1/2 ton should be fine for me.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #41
1greenmachine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
Without Hijacking any further; I'll only be pulling a small boat and a snowmobile trailer with a few sleds, so a 1/2 ton should be fine for me.
Yeah it will work ok but for the op the truck wouldn't be up to it everyday. You're like me where you can't justify a diesel.
1greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #42
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Yeah, absolutely. I get that diesels are a hell of a lot of fun, but the whole massive lift/stack/truck nuts/tuning chip trend is stupid, and it seems the popularity of these trucks with rich kids is driving the prices on diesels up.

Looking into common issues with high mileage 5.3s/silverados now, the idea of a $13k truck is appealing.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #43
jeeppurz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
My experience with the chevy half tonn.
2005 Ext cab 5.3 L 3.42 gears 4x4 z71
Purchased used 5 years ago at 95kms curently 170kms
-All steal brake lines rusted away
-throttle position sensor
-air bag sensor
-both front wheel bearings
-u joints
-fuel tank straps
-exterior door handle
-4 ball joints
-pads rotors drums & shoes
-ac charged

I find the truck to below average in quality. But the decent fuel economy, and low cost of parts for repairs make up for it. If you want to pull anything heavy she revs in third gear.
jeeppurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #44
Timmy Tucker OP
Beat to Fit

Oddometer: 752
Still not sure where I stand yet. My 2000 Silverado 5.3 has 265K miles on it. W/ the exception of a blown transmission at 125K, it hasn't caused me much grief that I didn't cause or isn't a common issue w/ these trucks. It eats front tires and brake pads like Skittles. Burns thru a complete set of headlights/turn signals/marker lights 3-4 times a year. Gas mileage is 13ish w/ trailer, 16ish w/o. Still has original spark plugs, though. May be time to change 'em.

I've replaced one front wheel hub/bearing after a rather vicious day of off roading. But it was on it's way out anyway. (also took out the fog lights, step bars, battery and alternator that day. Wouldn't recommend river crossings, btw. )

Stepdad had a '09 2500 Duramax last year that was super sweet. I could definitely get with that, but he keeps trying to talk me out of a diesel. Not sure that I believe him. Have driven a handful of post-'04 Dodge 1500's and 3500's. Don't like 'em. Very harsh ride and the seating isn't comfortable to me at all.

Stepdad's current ride is an '07 Tundra 5.7 4dr (crewmax, maybe?). Quite possibly the best looking truck on the road, imo. That's what got me interested in the Tundra's in the first place. Unfortunately, this one is a consignment and therefore out of my price range.

I'm leaning toward Tundra at the moment w/ Silverado 2500 diesel a close second.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:21 PM   #45
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmiguy View Post
+1

I'm not sure if QC has improved, but at the MS Plant where they build those, there were all kinds of QC problems a handful of years ago. A lot of the Reviews and Reports on the Titan are pretty negative, although owner satisfaction seems hight.

For $15K my list would look something like this
F150 (5.4L do have a spark plug sticking in the head issue which can be pricey if the threads get stripped)
Tundra
GM 1500
Titan
Ram 1500

It's true that Diesels last longer than their Gasoline counterparts but at $15K like others have said you're looking at trucks over 200K miles and while the engine might be broke in, the Trans could be on it's last legs and every bushing, ball joint and tie rod end is probably shot.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: