Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #31
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
A very good friend of mine went this route and his insurance co would only pay him $10/hr labor if they were cutting him a personal check. If they paid the shop direct, they would cover the shop's labor rate (which was more like $65/hr iirc).

Insurance regs vary widely by state, so maybe this is the difference? You're in the same state as the OP.
Dunno. I expected a fight, but they paid up. I was straight with them, didn't inflate, treated them honestly, and they returned the favor.

I did have an itemized estimate from the shop- did your buddy?

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #32
chrish4ku OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Good real time info

Once Progressive assesses ill post up what they say. I can see both sides here for sure. It really depends on what is best long term. Can I trust it on a long ride? Can it take a beating still?

Mike .... Call me when you can.
2011 KTM 990 Adventure / KTM 500 EXC
Chris' Sat Tracker
chrish4ku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:26 PM   #33
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,657
I'm pretty sure you can buy totaled vehicles back from the insurance company in CA for around 10% of the pre-crash value. Think about that when you go shopping for a new one.

If they don't total it, plastics are just cosmetic. Stitch them up Frankenstein style with zip ties. (that idea will sound much better with a few thousand dollars in your pocket)
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #34
ShoelessJoe
DefromisSedSupendium

Oddometer: 108
Recently had this happen to me. Bike was not as bad, one fairing cracked and scratches on other parts, nothing bent up besides the handlebars. Picked the bike up in the ditch and it fired right up and I rode it home. You are lucky to have Progressive, I can't say enough good things about them. When the guy showed up to look at my bike, he asked to see my riding gear. Boots, jacket, gloves, helmet, everything. Told him that I will do the work myself and they paid for the damage on the bike, $75 and hour for labor and gave me money for all my riding gear.

As one poster mentioned alreay, it was a great opportunity to upgrade to parts that I could not afford before. Guess what; add up the prices for OEM bar, handguards and mirror and it comes up less than a full HDB set up

Hopefully nothing is bent up bad enough to total the bike. It is just a matter of how much time you want to put back into the bike.

Before:

After:
ShoelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:20 PM   #35
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrish4ku View Post
Can I trust it on a long ride? Can it take a beating still?
From what you've told us and what I can see in the pictures, yes. I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to take it anywhere.

If the forks work then I would highly doubt there was enough impact to bend the frame at the headstock. Even then, ride the flipping thing there at Progressive's parking lot. It should still fire if the ECU isn't damaged and just take it around the parking lot to see if it even works.

I've seen way too many pictures of these things bouncing off boulders/trees/furry woodland creatures to think that just by nailing some dude on a rust bucket that you've been able to hurt it beyond repair.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:47 PM   #36
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrish4ku View Post
Once Progressive assesses ill post up what they say. I can see both sides here for sure. It really depends on what is best long term. Can I trust it on a long ride? Can it take a beating still?

Mike .... Call me when you can.
You sure the right kind of person to own a big dirt bike?

ffs you crashed it at 35mph and it slid some and broke the plastics.
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #37
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
I don't know if this would apply to these bikes or not. The question that I've not seen asked is, Did the bike keep running for a period of time while on it's side? If so, how long?

A friend of mine crashed his crotch rocket at the track once. The insurance company asked the above two questions. He told them that it had in fact been running for a minute or two until he gathered himself up and got to the bike to shut it off. They told him they wanted to total the bike due to possible oil starvation issues and the possibility that the motor suffered while running when is was on it's side.

I didn't see this addressed anywhere above, and I just throw it out there for consideration.

Aside from this question, the rest looks totally repairable.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #38
pdxmotorhead
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
I never let the insurance company take my vehicle anywhere, they can come to my house to do the estimate.

Progressive held a buddy of mines car basically hostage. Kept moving it yard to yard. and promising to return it soon.

By the time they did the interior was ruined as well. Cops were no help since he had willingly gave it to them. Said it was a civil matter.

Turned out they wanted to lowball the offer and not pay for their clients carelessness. Took him forever to get his money out of them..

Also,, if you end up with it totalled, AFTER you get the first check,, file for a diminished value claim too... :)

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:41 PM   #39
geometrician
let's keep going...

Oddometer: 1,023
Glad to hear everyone is OK- the guy could have been killed- nevermind you! California allows motor-vehicle citations while operating a bicycle on public highways- was he cited by the police? When I lived in San Francisco I knew bicycle messengers that couldn't get a drivers license as they had accumulated so many points- while pedaling!

Q: I see you have some LED lights- were they on at the time of the accident? Headlight on high beam as well? You gotta run this stuff all the time, especially in heavily urban areas! It was dangerous as hell before cell phones- with vehicular cell phone use at the dangerous level it is today we need all the attention we can create- but i'ts hard to prevent stupidity sometimes! With 110 watts of HID/110 watts halogen lighting my bike looks like a magnesium flare when viewed from the front- I'll risk a ticket any day if it means people will see me, and they don't pull out or turn left in front of me anymore!

It doesn't look totalled to me & I've done estimates to try & HELP riders get a new bike. You usually have to reach 80% of current value (Kelly's Blue Book or the insurance industry's own figures) for repair including all parts & labor. Most insurance companies have arrangements to sell totalled motorcycles to certain dealers or salvage yards, so you may not be able to get it. Further they don't sell vehicles at 10% of value after paying out to you- they know what motorcycles are worth & they are a for-profit business, and without a pending bodily injury claim (from you) you don't have much bargaining power. You SURE you're OK? Offer to sign a medical/bodily injury release (which is what they really want) if they'll work with you on the bike.

If the frame is damaged you (or a shop) will need to literally cut the VIN section of the frame & send it to KTM NA in Ohio where they will get a new VIN and apply it to the replacement frame. California (& other states) used to change the color of ink on Salvage Titles to brown to prevent resale to an unsuspecting buyer- now most states just print "Salvage" somewhere on the title.

Best bet is to have the shop in the area with the highest labor rate do the estimate. KTM does have service flat rates found on KTMDealer.net to break down repair times for the estimate. An enire frame & body replacement would be less than 10 hours (which would include removal & replacing all the broken bodywork/etc to get to the frame) and at (example) $85/hr that's only $850, so you're going to need a lot of parts replaced before you arrive at 80% of $8500

Good Luck
'87 KLR650 - <200K miles "Like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps going & going..."
geometrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:53 PM   #40
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,473
If the main frame is damaged at the steering neck/stops this will significantly increase the possibility of it being "totaled" as far as the insurance is concerned.

It doesn't mean that the bike could not be restored to safe operation.
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:27 PM   #41
chrish4ku OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crofrog View Post
You sure the right kind of person to own a big dirt bike?

ffs you crashed it at 35mph and it slid some and broke the plastics.

More to it than slid and broke some plastic, slick. Direct impact to the front end pushed the whole Nav tower back into the ignition. It even bent the key. If that ends up not being an issue and all that wiring harness stuff still works it shouldn't be an issue.

As far as my ability - I 'd be happy to show you how to ride a 990 in the California desert.
Chris' Sat Tracker
Old 01-17-2013, 11:28 PM   #42
chrish4ku OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoelessJoe View Post
Recently had this happen to me. Bike was not as bad, one fairing cracked and scratches on other parts, nothing bent up besides the handlebars. Picked the bike up in the ditch and it fired right up and I rode it home. You are lucky to have Progressive, I can't say enough good things about them. When the guy showed up to look at my bike, he asked to see my riding gear. Boots, jacket, gloves, helmet, everything. Told him that I will do the work myself and they paid for the damage on the bike, $75 and hour for labor and gave me money for all my riding gear.

As one poster mentioned alreay, it was a great opportunity to upgrade to parts that I could not afford before. Guess what; add up the prices for OEM bar, handguards and mirror and it comes up less than a full HDB set up

Hopefully nothing is bent up bad enough to total the bike. It is just a matter of how much time you want to put back into the bike.

Before:

After:

Nice transition man.
Chris' Sat Tracker
Old 01-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #43
Tessier
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Wink

I went through this once before with progressive. They totaled my bike and offered a very reasonable by back which I should have taken but decided against. The reason being is I didn't want a salvage title pure and simple. If I went through the cost and effort to rebuild the bike I didn't want to have that much money in a pristine bike with a salvage title.

However if it was an Adventure bike that had a good chance of hitting the dirt there is no way I wouldn't buy it back in a heart beat. If I were in your shoes I would do a complete tear down drill and Ty wrap all the plastic I could and rebuild an offroad warrior out of it!

If by chance they do total it please post the buy back price and offer it up to one of us before letting them take it. Also remember this accident will be recorded on the title with will reduce the resale value. You should also be getting compensation for that.
Tessier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #44
chrish4ku OP
Studly Adventurer

Good Point for sure....
Chris' Sat Tracker
Old 01-18-2013, 11:43 PM   #45
Xtremjeepn
Motorhead!

Oddometer: 1,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessier View Post
I went through this once before with progressive. They totaled my bike and offered a very reasonable by back which I should have taken but decided against. The reason being is I didn't want a salvage title pure and simple. If I went through the cost and effort to rebuild the bike I didn't want to have that much money in a pristine bike with a salvage title.

However if it was an Adventure bike that had a good chance of hitting the dirt there is no way I wouldn't buy it back in a heart beat. If I were in your shoes I would do a complete tear down drill and Ty wrap all the plastic I could and rebuild an offroad warrior out of it!

If by chance they do total it please post the buy back price and offer it up to one of us before letting them take it. Also remember this accident will be recorded on the title with will reduce the resale value. You should also be getting compensation for that.

If the title doesn't transfer to the insurance company it doesn't get rebranded as salvage. So the typical "buy back" the insurance company never ends up with the title. They just reduce your check by the amount of the buy back. Title never transfers, doesn't end up with a salvage mark on it.

Also, many states simply drop the salvage branding after a vehicle is a certain age. So I wouldn't bank too heavily on the system.

06 KTM 950 Adventure(The Fainting Goat)
02 F650GS DAKAR
2 KLR650s Travel bikes http://coffeemotorcycleswine.blogspot.com/
Xtremjeepn is offline   Reply With Quote