Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #91
LuciferMutt OP
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
That will never happen. USA fuel prices will never equal Euro fuel prices.

Of course they will. It's just by the time they are equal to what EU prices are NOW, EU prices will by similarly higher!

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:34 PM   #92
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,999
Thinking about this some more, I'll bet there's at least a little 'we don't want to be like CA' going on as well. Especially in the neighboring states' governments.

Thoughts?

M

fixt to reflect the actual thought running thru my head when I wrote that. Not necessarily the people in the neighboring states.

Gummee! screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 05:55 PM
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:14 PM   #93
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
I seriously doubt non riders give it any thought at all.

Jealousy about cutting line? I doubt it. Other than perhaps some momentary indignation, thinking "what a dick" when they see it done illegally, same as we all do when we see someone do something illegal, or the few dudly-do-rights playing traffic cop, the vast majority of folks probably couldn't care less one way or the other.

There are just too few of us to force the issue, our best chance would be to play the "green" card, that bikes create less pollution, use less resources, and don't create traffic issues.

Green sells, and par for the course, doesn't need any real substance, or have any real benefit other than fulfilling our desires.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:44 PM   #94
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
Of course they will. It's just by the time they are equal to what EU prices are NOW, EU prices will by similarly higher!
Which means they will never be equal, no?

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:43 AM   #95
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,840
Since the Texas legislature is currently in session, I decided to write my representatives in both the State Senate and House to re-introduce a bill that unfortunately was never voted upon by the full floor. I don't know if it will get anywhere, but not doing anything it will never get anywhere
Old 02-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #96
dirtypumpkin
"Monster Truck Bike"

Oddometer: 13,970
CHP has updated their site with some new info.

Was pretty vague before this update, now they share some "guidelines"

Maybe other states will follow, we can hope.

Lane Splitting General Guidelines:
http://www.chp.ca.gov/programs/lanesplitguide.html

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- The California Highway Patrol has created a set of written guidelines on motorcycle "lane-splitting,"
the at-times hair-splitting maneuver that allows riders to legally pass vehicles in adjacent lanes by driving between them.

"There is a need to acknowledge lane-splitting is being done in California, and a need to help people understand what is reasonable,"
California Highway Patrol Sgt. Mark Pope said. "Until now, no one in authority has said how to do it safely."

About 87 percent of California motorcycle riders reported they lane-split, a recent state Office of Traffic Safety survey reported.
Some motorcyclists call it lane sharing. The survey also found that only 53 percent of California drivers knew lane-splitting is legal,
and seven percent of drivers say they have attempted to block a lane-splitting motorcyclist from passing them.
If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies,
jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears. -- Glenn Clark
dirtypumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:40 AM   #97
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
This!

That is my "secret" strategy. Here in NYC, about three years ago a handful of riders including myself started a motorcycle advocacy group. (NYMSTF.org, FYI.) Our general feeling was that we were tired of being "represented" by "MRO"-type groups -- Motorcycle "RIGHTS" Organizations which generally do nothing except whine about helmet laws and any proposal which might prohibit their asinine, ear-splitting straight pipes.
I think this is a major issue. Whatever the limited political influence motorcyclists have is being spent on the idiotic helmet laws and loud pipes.
I remember few years back, after a garbage truck driver on drugs killed 5 bikers, a couple of counties in Arizona tested filtering at the traffic lights. I don't know what came out of this.

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:33 AM   #98
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,532
Bumping this to continue to garner support for an organized lane-splitting lobby.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:51 AM   #99
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,278
It would take a lot more than a simple law change to make splitting/filtering a viable. A concerted marketing campaign would need to be started and continue for years to educate the public in the other 49 states that do not allow it now. Try it here and it is likely to get you killed by an enraged cager!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:17 AM   #100
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 12,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
Bumping this to continue to garner support for an organized lane-splitting lobby.

Sign the petition, if you haven't already!:

http://www.change.org/petitions/ny-s...new-york-state

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:19 AM   #101
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by genka View Post
Whatever the limited political influence motorcyclists have is being spent on the idiotic helmet laws and loud pipes.

Meet you in the new helmet law thread in 3... 2......

Old 03-27-2013, 07:25 AM   #102
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
It would take a lot more than a simple law change to make splitting/filtering a viable. A concerted marketing campaign would need to be started and continue for years to educate the public in the other 49 states that do not allow it now. Try it here and it is likely to get you killed by an enraged cager!

Yeah... they hate it when you make them put down their cellphone/makeup/bacon sammich.

One emerging thought I have is that we should all just... start... doing... it. Mass civil disobedience -- but, done civilly. Abide by the CHP guidelines, be polite, don't surprise people. If someone gets upset, try to make nice with them ("I'm just trying to get to work, sir.") and move on.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:29 AM   #103
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
Yeah... they hate it when you make them put down their cellphone/makeup/bacon sammich.

One emerging thought I have is that we should all just... start... doing... it. Mass civil disobedience -- but, done civilly. Abide by the CHP guidelines, be polite, don't surprise people. If someone gets upset, try to make nice with them ("I'm just trying to get to work, sir.") and move on.
Anarchy!!!!!!!!

Issue here is that all it takes in one douchwaffle with loud pipes scaring granny, who spills coffee that shockingly may be hot, and it's lawsuit city.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:54 AM   #104
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post

Jim
I'm living proof of the opposite of that last sentence. Going from Manasshole to Rockville on a daily basis and sharing lanes when needed was the only thing getting me to work close to on time.

Its actually not bad here in the DC area. Lots of immigrants who are used to bikes sharing lanes 'in my country' so they don't bat an eye at it. Yes, you'll encounter the occasional redneck in a pickup that thinks he needs to be 'road police' but you can typically spot them well ahead of time.

99% of the people are brain-dead zombies thinking about anything BUT driving a car. You're past them before they realize you're even on the road with them.

Having said that, you can't just share 'CA Style' around here without attracting the wrong kind of attention from the po-po. Go a few cars, hop in a gap. Go a few cars, hop in a gap. Repeat as necessary.

M
Old 03-27-2013, 07:54 AM   #105
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post
Anarchy!!!!!!!!

Issue here is that all it takes in one douchwaffle with loud pipes scaring granny, who spills coffee that shockingly may be hot, and it's lawsuit city.

Lawsuit, maybe, for the loud pipe douchwaffle. Doubtful, though.

People get irrationally angry when they perceive someone else is "getting ahead." It is perceived as "cheating" and it very well may be. It's just that, the current "rules" make sense for cars, but not for motorcycles.