User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2011, 05:22 AM   #1
themenz OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,294
Thumb Great football goal! Brilliant!

You know, if there were more of these plays, I might actually enjoy watching this sport.

Wayne Rooney calls it his greatest goal ever. Watch and you will agree!

Old 02-15-2011, 06:49 AM   #2
ThePikeman
German n00b

Oddometer: 4,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by themenz View Post
You know, if there were more of these plays, I might actually enjoy watching this sport.

Wayne Rooney calls it his greatest goal ever. Watch and you will agree!
Looks spectacular, but more a sloppy defense than brilliant play.
ThePikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:01 AM   #3
themenz OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePikeman View Post
See what I know?
Old 02-16-2011, 04:00 AM   #4
rallybug
Local Yokel

Oddometer: 8,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePikeman View Post
More that the marking centre back lost his footing - if he'd stayed upright, there's a good chance he would've headed it clear.

Well-controlled shot though, not many could do it as accurately as Shrek did there

My Ride Reports
rallybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:27 AM   #5
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,636
It's good but a little overrated (it bangs off his shin and he gets lucky). I think he actually scored a better goal a few years ago

This is real genius

Old 02-16-2011, 10:41 AM   #6
themenz OP
Beastly Adventurer

^ Fantastic shots above.

But the game has so much finesse and ground to cover that scoring is almost incidental.

And the offsides rule is fairly absurd. I mean if one team is fast and accurate enough to get the ball downfield why a penalty?

"Offside is a law in football which law states that if a player is in an offside position when the ball is touched or played by a team mate, he may not become actively involved in the play. A player is in an offside position if he is closer to the opponent's goal line than both the ball and the second-to-last defender (i.e. last outfield player), but only if the player is on his opponent's half of the pitch."

^Must have been written by a lawyer.

I wish I could appreciate these techniques enough to watch 90 minutes of back and forth.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:03 PM   #7
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Quote:
^ Fantastic shots above.

But the game has so much finesse and ground to cover that scoring is almost incidental.

And the offsides rule is fairly absurd. I mean if one team is fast and accurate enough to get the ball downfield why a penalty?

"Offside is a law in football which law states that if a player is in an offside position when the ball is touched or played by a team mate, he may not become actively involved in the play. A player is in an offside position if he is closer to the opponent's goal line than both the ball and the second-to-last defender (i.e. last outfield player), but only if the player is on his opponent's half of the pitch."

I wish I could appreciate these techniques enough to watch 90 minutes of back and forth.
Written down the off-side rule is confusing (and sometimes in practice ) but it is the heart of soccer. It's what makes the game work and is a rule of genius.

If you want to watch an example of football played as God intended, try and find the full 90 minutes of Barcelona Vs. Real Madrid earlier this year. With no exageration, it will probably be used as a coaching tool for years to come. Rooney was quoted as saying he stood up and applauded after watching it on T.V. It's an extraordinary match.

p.s. Those goals by Zidane are with his left and he's naturally right footed
Old 02-16-2011, 01:23 PM   #8
gothamAlp
happy to be here

Oddometer: 805
all of the above are great, but quibbling with rooney's bicycle-kick goal is absurd. even a player of rooney's goal-scoring skills only gets one or two of those in a lifetime.

for the non-soccer fan, the bicycle-kick is used when a pass is played behind the attacker; they are expecting/wanting the ball out front, in stride with their forward motion, so it's really a quick stop and reverse type movement on which many a player has looked silly/missed the ball entirely/shanked it into the stands.

my 2/5th of a nickel.
gothamAlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:45 PM   #9
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothamAlp View Post
all of the above are great, but quibbling with rooney's bicycle-kick goal is absurd. even a player of rooney's goal-scoring skills only gets one or two of those in a lifetime.

for the non-soccer fan, the bicycle-kick is used when a pass is played behind the attacker; they are expecting/wanting the ball out front, in stride with their forward motion, so it's really a quick stop and reverse type movement on which many a player has looked silly/missed the ball entirely/shanked it into the stands.

my 2/5th of a nickel.
Well, yes perhaps. But if they're relatively rare (and to my memory, Ronaldinho did it three times at the highest level) then quibbling over stylistic details seems fair game

Here's example 1 (and I have several more lined-up ). Superior to Rooney's with the exception that Barca were already 3-0 up at the time.

The imcomparable Ronaldinho (and look who's delivering the cross ).

p.s. Arsenal beat Barca tonight, amazing.

JNRobert screwed with this post 02-16-2011 at 04:56 PM
JNRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:33 PM   #10
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 7,135
That second Rooney goal is impressive because he chips it with his right foot. Actually, more of a slice with the outside of the foot. Causes the ball to spin and curve left to right. Cool to watch the arc of the ball.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:09 PM   #11
bergermeister
housin'

Oddometer: 1,991
rooney's was a good goal, but it's not like he did it with broken ribs while playing some nazi hacks.

bergermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:47 PM   #12
ThePikeman
German n00b

Quote:
^ Fantastic shots above.

I guess it is much harder to watch and enjoy soccer, if there are no emotions for one or the other team involved.

Even if it is only a Bundesliga betting game.

PeWolKe2:1-:--:--:--:--:--:--:--:-03,50210
ThePikeman2:0-:--:--:--:--:--:--:--:-02,17204
Sina0:04-:--:--:--:--:--:--:--:-43,00203

Those goddamned Nürnberg fuckers better use the 30 minutes they have left to shoot a goal.
I am not sure one point is enough to keep 4th place.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:57 PM   #13
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Hey, P-Man. Do you ever read Raphael Honigstein? He's a German football writer at the Guardian amongst many others and does a good job covering world football and the Bundesliga. He wrote: "Englischer Fussball: A German View of Our Beautiful Game" which I enjoyed.

JNRobert screwed with this post 02-18-2011 at 05:03 PM
JNRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:02 PM   #14
ThePikeman
German n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
Hey, P-Man. Do you ever read Raphael Honigstein? He's a German football writer at the Guardian amongst many others and does a good job covering world football and the Bundesliga. He wrote: Englischer Fussball: A German View of Our Beautiful Game which I enjoyed.
No, haven't read it. I do sometimes read his articles for the guardian though.
BTW: corrected link

I do like them and they are rather accurate.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #15
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: