Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 03:24 PM   #16
NoMoIke OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Watchin' the wheels go round and round...

1/23/13

On this, one of the more momentus days of the trip, I’m wondering about my reasons for doing it. I’m still all in, the trip won’t be ending for some time, but what I hope to accomplish, or if I’ll accomplish anything at all, are in the forefront of my mind. I’ve referred in previous posts to my trigger being the passing of my Gram, but her death was just that, a trigger. Is my powder for a journey like this an underlying feeling that my life was not headed in the right direction? Or possibly just that I’d lost any appreciation for the things I worked so hard for. It’s likely that only time and miles will provide me with clarity. I am the bullet.

Contemplating the inevitable.

After spreading a portion of Gram’s ashes near the resting place of her significant other, I had a nice leisurly ride at more humane temperatures than yesterday. Sixty plus degrees from Florence, AL to Talladega National Forest. I’ve gotten out of hill country, which is a shame, but at least it gives me the time to sit back and process my sausage of thoughts without the danger of cliffs and turns.

I’m quite pleased with my campsite. Relative solitude, bald eagles, and a lake like glass do make for a happy camper.

That's a lot of cock.

I say...

I say...

I say...

I say...

I say...

...lookit me when I'm talkin' to ya, boy!

Who knew chickens came with a big giant spike attached?

Home Sweet Home

Payne Lake

Payne Lake

Payne Lake

Payne Lake

View Larger Map

NoMoIke screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 01:00 PM
NoMoIke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:26 PM   #17
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,933
This looks like the upper part of Little River Canyon.

If it is, and you had gone into the park, there is a pull off that allows you to see the other side of these falls.

You are right that the landscape in NE AL is pretty amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoIke View Post

I wish I could've taken a pic from the other side of these waterfalls.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:51 PM   #18
ScottRS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Really enjoying your ramblings from the road. Looking forward to more.
ScottRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:23 PM   #19
NoMoIke OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRS View Post
Really enjoying your ramblings from the road. Looking forward to more.
Thanks, encouraging words really do provide motivation.

NoMoIke screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 12:52 PM
Old 01-25-2013, 09:25 PM   #20
NoMoIke OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post

If it is, and you had gone into the park, there is a pull off that allows you to see the other side of these falls.

I didn't see a park, but I only back tracked once to look for a better view.

NoMoIke screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 12:52 PM
Old 01-25-2013, 09:58 PM   #21
Johnny Locks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
I'm following....

I'm enjoying your reports. Really good writing by the way.
Johnny Locks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:25 AM   #22
Jim-Mer
Slowing Down

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post

And if you know where to look there is a little trail that goes down into that gorge on the backside of those falls. Spent a lot of time there in high school with other folks enjoying a day in the sun. Grew up in Rome, GA that the OP rode through, and Little River Canyon was a great place to escape to!
Jim-Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:50 PM   #23
NoMoIke OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-Mer View Post
And if you know where to look there is a little trail that goes down into that gorge on the backside of those falls. Spent a lot of time there in high school with other folks enjoying a day in the sun. Grew up in Rome, GA that the OP rode through, and Little River Canyon was a great place to escape to!
Damn, sorry I missed that.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:51 PM   #24
NoMoIke OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Locks View Post
I'm enjoying your reports. Really good writing by the way.
Thank you, sir.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:14 PM   #25
MikeinSA

Oddometer: 3,736
Fantastic writing! I only follow a few ride reports, this will be one of them - hope you keep it up. Maybe a bit bigger on the pictures? It's great as is, but I think many scan the ride reports by the pictures first and tend to skip over the ones with the little pictures - it would be a shame for folks to miss this one. The maps are great, by the way. It really adds to the RR knowing exactly where you are.

Ride Safe,
Mike
MikeinSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #26
NoMoIke OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinSA View Post
Fantastic writing! I only follow a few ride reports, this will be one of them - hope you keep it up. Maybe a bit bigger on the pictures? It's great as is, but I think many scan the ride reports by the pictures first and tend to skip over the ones with the little pictures - it would be a shame for folks to miss this one. The maps are great, by the way. It really adds to the RR knowing exactly where you are.

Ride Safe,
Mike
Thanks, Mike. I'm working on posting my pictures from a different place than nomoike.com so I can resize them more to my liking. Until then, they are clickable for a full sized view.

NoMoIke screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 01:55 PM
Old 01-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #27
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,434
Excellent writing.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.

~Augustine of Hippo
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #28
NoMoIke OP
Adventurer

Celebrities hang out in Florida

1/24/13

I come from a line of Eskimo that made their home northeast of Nome, AK. The nearest village is Teller, AK and the people there have lived lives for centuries that required basic survival skills. Just last spring I watched my cousin’s native husband start a fire by , what looked like to me, scraping two rocks together. Now if my ancestors could manage to keep the DNA flowing for millenia and my cousin-in-law could seemingly conjure fire from stone, I should surely be able to build a towering inferno with a modern Bic, right? Wrong. After my initial attempt at fire starting being a miserable failure I bought a mini blowtorch. Now fire, and maybe even brimstone, raining down into my fire pit were practically guaranteed! 45 minutes later I was rewarded with a flame the same size as my aforementioned Bic could create with one flick. Pathetic, but I’m not giving up.

Some fun riding today on 20 plus miles of the orangest dirt roads I’ve ever seen. The total for the day was around 200 miles to Blackwater Bay near Pensacola, but those 20 were definitely the penultimate surprise of the day.

I'd hate to be on this when it's wet!

As the sun was proceeding through its last few hours Violet and I traversed the last few miles of orangy goodness to Grassy Point Recreation Area. At that point it was hard to imagine free camping ever getting better than this, but I was in for one more pleasant surprise. Less than an hour later the sound of a thumper makes itself known, piloted by NomadGal to my very “doorstep”.

If you’ve not read it, with nearly 100,000 views NomadGal’s ride report is highly informative and inspirational. The mechanical trials that she has faced would make a ship’s crew run for harbor, but instead of heading for the nearest Kawasaki dealer she dug right it and cured most of her beloved KLR’s ailments. Many great photos and miles of time wasting enjoyment found here. Even your boss couldn’t fault you for siphoning away his money on this one.

Blackwater Bay

Blackwater Bay

Blackwater Bay

Blackwater Bay

Neighbors (see the rear peg)

Blackwater Bay

NomadGal

View Larger Map

NoMoIke screwed with this post 02-02-2013 at 05:29 PM
Old 01-26-2013, 02:07 PM   #29
road_apple
Hit the Trail

Oddometer: 137
Winter

You are really not helping me get thru winter..quite the opposite. I change tires, bearings, chain and sprockets, plug, adjust valves, and it's still f'ing winter. My hands are chapped, my nose is running. I sit on the seat and am not modivated. Traffic here is still traffic except there's salt on the pavement and people are REALLY not used to seeing a bike in traffic this time of year around here.

You point to the perfect time to see latitudes less than 35. You show us pictures that prove it's country to see, even better in the off season. You suck. Keep it up.

PS an old set of Frogtoggs, wool socks and a cap will extend your sleeping bag range, duc tape the outside of ziplocks to make perfect waterproof reasonably durable bags, there's a million ways to improve without adding more and more 'stuff.'

Looking forward to more. Nice meetup with NomaGal.
road_apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:28 AM   #30
NoMoIke OP
Adventurer

East bound and down

1/28/13

With rain on the way tomorrow, and my new pal NomadGal heading out I decided that it's time for me to move along. It is a real shame considering that the weekend is over and I would be the only one left in the nearly perfect camping spot that I'd inhabited for the last few days. Really, the only thing that bothers me about this idyllic location are the gnats. For those of you who have never experienced gnats, or no-see-ums, consider yourself lucky. They're tiny, fast moving, biting Beelzebubs. Even with the glorious scenery, relative quiet, white sandy beaches, and (barely) swimmable water temps, the only two characteristics of the gnats that make them tolerable are that their bite only itches a short while, and they're only "sociable" about an hour each in the morning and evening.

With the exception of the first 20 miles, or so, today's ride was a 6 out of 10. The scenery wasn't boring, but I've been staring at a beach for days and its luster has worn a bit. Traffic was lite, but it hardly mattered since you couldn't find a curve with a protractor. On routes like this I usually find a cage that's going a speed I like and pace myself off of it. It makes it easier to enjoy the scenery without having to constantly babysit the speedometer.

Spirit and Violet Bearegard from Camera

Last Sunset at Blackwater Bay from Camera

The Moon from Camera

HOOOOOWWWWWWLLLLLLL! from Camera

Florida needs lane splitting from Camera

Relax from Camera

At least I won't make a wrong turn from Camera

A last bit of beach for the day from Camera

From Camera

View Larger Map