Old 02-22-2014, 10:07 AM   #211
GRinCR OP
Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by junglemototours View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
Great stuff! Man, I miss CR! Only been a few times but it seems like I think about moving there at least once a week!
Just buy a one way ticket .
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it." -Abraham Lincoln
GRinCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:44 AM   #212
watchman64
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Read through the whole thread and thoroughly enjoyed your writings and photos. Thanks for the inspiration Greg!

Cheers!
watchman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:25 AM   #213
GRinCR OP
Oppressed Nomad

Manuel Antonio - Final Day, Pt I

Please excuse the delay… on to the third and final day. It began with Dude talking of swimming holes and waterfalls. The owners of the villas where were staying had told him of this hidden paradise only 1 kilometer away. We walked through the hood to the end of the road, over a rickety bridge and then followed the riverbed.

As we were walking I was pondering how this was going to play out. The terrain and surrounding landscapes were quite dramatic. We were walking the river because there were cliffs and dense foliage on either side of us. My imagination was going crazy because we were walking down stream. To my heart’s content we arrived at the top of the waterfall and as I imagined there was only one way down.

Unfortunately I have no pics. We were crunched for time and the wives had their hands tied with the wee-ones as the boys played in the water and jumped off the waterfall.

The hike was about half an hour and I was sweating like a madman having to carry fifty extra pounds on my shoulders that don’t sit still. Once back at the homestead we cleared out the room and hung out at the pool. After a few more moments of R&R it was time to figure out how all this crap was going to fit on the moto. This was part of the negotiations; wives and kids on the bus - dads and dirt bikes are the pack mules.

I was left behind to finish loading up the DR as the others took off for Quepos to grab a bite to eat. The women and children were scheduled on the 1300 bus to San Jose. I made the ride into town only to find the restaurant we were going to eat at was closed. A few phone calls later and we were all reunited.

Everyone ate except for me. I had been snacking on leftovers but mostly needed to replenish fluids. I am sure a few of you know the feeling; dizzy, weak, shaky and at this point I was not sweating anymore. By the time we walked the families to the bus stop I was feeling much better.

FYI travelers: the bus says it departs at 1300 which is somewhat true. It leaves Quepos at 1300 and heads to Manuel Antonio where it turns around and comes back through Quepos at 1330. The Dude and I waited as long as we could and finally had to kiss the wife and kids goodbye and get back to our horses. We had a long ride ahead of us… We filled the tanks just outside of town and it wan’t more than a few kilometers before the pavement ended and we rode deeper and deeper into the palm oil fields…

Old 03-04-2014, 07:31 AM   #214
GRinCR OP
Oppressed Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchman64 View Post
Read through the whole thread and thoroughly enjoyed your writings and photos. Thanks for the inspiration Greg!

Cheers!
You made your first post here . Thanks for coming along for the ride. As long as I can keep riding there will be more reports.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:58 AM   #215
Romanousky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
Good to see you back in the saddle Greg! Your boy is sure getting bigger....It will be a couple years but next time I get back you have to show me some of these roads. Audios

'01 DRZ 400

Oregon to Argentina on the Dizzer:
Romanousky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:38 PM   #216
Kawi-Mike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Awesome reports

Awesome report with amazing pictures! Back in the late 90's early 2000's I was living the in the same town you are in. I managed a waste hauling company called WPP. Your reports have have really made me miss being there. Keep riding and posting. Pura Vida!
91 ZX 11
78 Z1R
Kawi-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:19 PM   #217
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 10,048
Nice pics.

Looks like Paradise IMO!

I'll visit one day.

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Dr.Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:41 PM   #218
GRinCR OP
Oppressed Nomad

Manuel Antonio; Final Day, Pt.II

We headed deeper and deeper into the palm oil fields. Mile after mile of palms that were so thick at times the sunlight was lost. Regardless of being in the shade, it was still HOT. Twenty minutes into the ride we took a quick break.

It wasn’t that we were worn out already; we just weren’t expecting to cross any rivers.

It was here I also had to say goodbye to a dear friend. I had wedged the pair between my top case and the dry bag. I had thought about tying them up and in hindsight that may have been a good idea .

We confirmed we were on the right track and it was time to carry on.

The route lie somewhere in those mountains and it was looking like we might get wet.

Finally we had made it out of the palm fields and the road just kept getting better and better…

It had only been an hour and a half since our departure and the climate was already changing from the sea level loop through Manuel Antonio we had done to start the ride. We decided to stop where the temps had become noticeable cooler. GPS confirmed we were just under 3,000 feet and had a nice ocean view.

The break was short since rain was threatening above us.

It was also nearing 1500 and there was lots more dreamscape to ride…

Old 03-08-2014, 09:00 PM   #219
GRinCR OP
Oppressed Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanousky View Post
Good to see you back in the saddle Greg! Your boy is sure getting bigger....It will be a couple years but next time I get back you have to show me some of these roads. Audios
Andrew, the garage seems so empty with only one DR. The kid-o changes daily I think. Now I know what the parents were getting at with the "grow like weeds" commentary. W/o doubt we ride when you are back in town. Stay safe amigo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawi-Mike View Post
Awesome report with amazing pictures! Back in the late 90's early 2000's I was living the in the same town you are in. I managed a waste hauling company called WPP. Your reports have have really made me miss being there. Keep riding and posting. Pura Vida!
Thank you for all the kind words...

Waste management eh? I will tread lightly... Did you work the now closed dump sight where the pig farmer/squatter lost his stock to a garbage landslide? Everyone in my little town tells this story.

I will ride while I can and report what is interesting. You don't have to miss it so much; just a few hours by plane or a few weeks on the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Z View Post

I'll visit one day.
I put your name on a beer, but I just drank it. When you are in the area look me up .
Old 03-20-2014, 10:54 PM   #220
GRinCR OP
Oppressed Nomad

Talking Manuel Antonio - Fin

So the show must go on… We left off at 1500, gaining altitude and dropping temperatures. All of it welcomed. The road was unraveling into one of the best I have ridden. We eventually made it up into the clouds which hung above us and we dipped in and out but never got rained on.

If I were to rate the difficulty of this trail it would be a Blue Square. It had its steep parts but nothing crazy and relatively well maintained. About an hour of this earthen bliss eventually spit us out onto pristinely paved mountain twisties. Puras curvas as we rode through one pueblo after another.

It was now approaching 1630 and if you remember I had not eaten much more than a few bites of leftover Tuna steaks by the pool around 0900. What a beautiful thing; adrenalin. It can only do so much though and Mike was ready for a bite as well. We saw a sign for a Mirador: restaurant with a view. Right on .

Just one problema… nice.

Oh well, we’ll just eat more miles.

The pavement continued to twist through the mountains which form the spine of Costa Rica. We eventually dropped into a deep valley were we found the longest straight shot of road we had seen in hours.

On the other side it was back to dirt for a while then pavement, then back to dirt. This would continue for the rest of our journey. It was fantastic. Around each corner was a new view. There was no one on the road and we just rode…

1751: it was time for a quick pit-stop. We were losing daylight fast.

It wasn’t much further before our next little stop…

The rest of our journey would be completed in the dark. By 1830 we stopped again at a bakery where I stuffed myself with fresh pastries. I was running on fumes by the time we stopped aside this church.

Hey Dude, remember the guy at the gas station in Quepos who told us only two hours to San Jose? He must not get out much or he is an undiscovered Dakar champ. I generally don’t like riding in the dark but when it is back roads with no traffic… bring it on.

This return route had been previously driven by The Dude Himself years prior and he had one last little shortcut plotted into the GPS. All day we always had an escape route to pavement in case we had had enough or just wanted to get home. There were a few times we contemplated, knowing darkness was upon us but after a short deliberation the decision was always unanimous; the wives should be happy we made it alive no matter how late we arrive, right? F-it. Onward, on the roads less traveled.

The last stretch was just that, a road less traveled. It was one of those roads. You no more than turn off the main road and it gets shitty, fast. Before we knew it we were pinning it up what felt like near vertical. The woops and ruts got worse and worse but we dared not stop for fear of skidding backwards down the mountain. The dirt was very loose and there was a thick layer of what seemed like powder covering it.

Finally we reached where it was flat enough to stop, right in the middle of the second switch back. Ahead of us was another short, but very steep section to another switch back. Out came the GPS and we confirmed there was still 5 kms more until we reached the wind farms at the top of this “hill”. The decision was made to stop. Dude’s throttle had developed quite a bit of play throughout the day and he could now twist it half way before the cable engaged. My tools were buried (will rethink that aspect of the packing sceme), it was late and we had enjoyed ourselves plenty.

So, with our engines off, using every bit of concentration not to dump the motos and go tumbling off a mountain we made it back down to the route where we would turn towards Puriscal and head to tarmac. Since it does not show, I will say it: STEEP!

The rode back to civilization was the same we took just days earlier to escape the urban jungle. I missed the biker bar completely but found another not far from Dude’s inlaws. Before 2100 we were sipping cold beers, chowin’ down and making up stories to spread on ADVrider.

By the time I got home the trip turned just over 300 kms. 60% dirt, 40% paved by my guestimate and EPIC (IMHO).

Dude; nice to meet you and your family. We were strangers before this little misadventure. ADVrider is without a doubt one of the coolest places on earth. Finally rockin’ the DR ADVenturized.

Thanks to all who are riding along and Trippin’ a bit in Costa Rica.

Cheers!
Old 03-21-2014, 05:06 AM   #221
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 4,293

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:26 AM   #222
RoadGrime
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
So Nice! ... !Yo quiero ir!
RoadGrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:47 PM   #223
GRinCR OP
Oppressed Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerdog53 View Post
I want to be the guy on the right and go crop dusting. That would be an ADV.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:53 PM   #224
GRinCR OP
Oppressed Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadGrime View Post
So Nice! ... !Yo quiero ir!
Si lo quiere suficiente, lo puede lograr.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:13 PM   #225
GRinCR OP
Oppressed Nomad

Throwback Thursday: The Devil’s Box

It was 14Mar09 and the newly wed’s were bored and had nothing to do. The wife said something about going to “El Cajon del Diablo” and I said sure. I had not the slightest idea what she was talking about but it sounded like a valid excuse. It was Friday and I was likely ditching a day on the phones for Match.com or eHarmony.com. Ride or talking to their finest about how to be successful in falling in love on the internet? You want to know the secret? I know it, directly from the source: keep trying. You'll be married and getting laid constantly! All you need is another three months . $$ha-ching !

We were heading to Cañas where my wife had once lived with an ex of hers. She wanted to say hi to Mom. I didn't care because there was something named The Devil's Box nearby.

It was the Pan Am nearly all the way to Cañas and then the pavement ended just outside of town. YBCaged was tagging along and this is about where he turned around .

My wife found a road too scary for you . He is still, to this day, skittish of anything unpaved. Luckily he recently rid himself of that worthless (to some) BMW.

Not even a kilometer more and we arrived to the Devil’s Box. It was quite refreshing.

The fun had to end because the plan was a day trip. We headed back, out of the mountains on the treacherous dirt road.

We stopped in the city’s downtown to look around, say hello and grub.

The ride was finished in the dark but the fun didn’t stop. It appears we ate chili dogs and went to a concert?