Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2015, 04:35 PM   #1
rockytopsw OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Help! Yamaha YCS1 or YAS1-C??? (and introduction)

Hi guys,

I have been lurking for a very long time, but this is my first post! Been riding for 3 years but very interested in learning more about the mechanics of bikes. Also, I'm in med school and I need some stress relief. I love the vintage Japanese two strokes, so I've decided to buy an old vintage bike and hope to restore it to riding shape. There's a guy locally who is selling both a Yamaha YCS1 and YAS1-C. They're both complete, but they are in fairly rough shape as far as rust goes. I'm looking to get one (I would love to get both but don't want to bite off more than I can chew), and I was wondering which one you guys think would be better as a first project bike? I really love the look and the 180cc of the YCS1, but it seems difficult to find parts for and it seems like it might be more complicated with the electric start.

Thanks for all advice up front!
rockytopsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:28 AM   #2
Rizingson
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 325
Welcome to the forum, rockytopsw. Some pictures would help us give better advice as to either bike being a viable candidate for restoration. I've also got a YAS1-C project that I've not yet started. Actually a long list of projects need that I need to get started on. Many parts will interchange, so I like your idea of getting both. Some other thoughts for you: Are you able to do the work yourself, since having someone do it for you would be cost prohibitive on those models. You'll also need a good basic understanding of mechanics as well as electrics. (I wouldn't worry about that starter by the way). Abandoned two strokes generally, at least for me give more tuning problems, oil leaks as well as requiring good crankcase seals than 4 strokes. Good luck on what ever you decide to go with.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=924068
Rizingson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:20 PM   #3
rockytopsw OP
n00b

Thanks for the reply! I can upload some pictures tomorrow. I believe they are both very restorable. I'm not looking for a factory fresh restore or anything like that, I just want to give them some new life and freshen them up. I believe I should be able to do everything except possibly truing the wheels and rebuilding the engine, crankshaft, and transmission. And I am willing to try those, I just don't have the necessary tools. I don't have a full shop, and will mostly be working on this in my apartment (med student life is no fun). How much would a typical engine rebuild cost on a two stroke twin like this at a shop in your experience? I did decide to go ahead and buy both, but might sell one once I have a better idea on how much I might spend.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:49 AM   #4
rockytopsw OP
n00b

Here are crappy photos that I took with my phone when I looked at the bikes. I can take better pics tomorrow when the seller delivers the bikes

https://www.flickr.com/gp/108598363@N05/iDFPFJ
Old 06-24-2015, 03:27 PM   #5
Rizingson
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 325
Nice projects, just so you are aware, the blue Yamaha is a '68 AS1-C 125cc twin. So there goes the parts compatibility. But I would have gotten both anyway
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=924068
Rizingson is offline   Reply With Quote