User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2015, 08:42 PM   #1
redleger OP
Horrible Mechanic

Oddometer: 581
thinking of making switch from 4T

I am thinking of moving to a 2 stroke for a lighter more powerful bike in the trails. I have found an older bike at too good a price to be true.
Its a 2002 200EXC

I have questions though. I have only ever owned suzuki DRs and DRZs. DR350 bored to a 440, a DRZ250 and a DRZ400E. All bikes were great and helped me learn to ride better both on road and off.

I have been reading through this whole 2T forum and still have some questions.

What is the transition like form 4T to 2T mainenance wise?

I have never owned one, so is there special premix to use? Can I use the premix with my few gallons of 110 octane I have from my 4T?

Would it be fair to say a 200 2T is basically equivalent to a 400 4T?
I am mostly a woods rider and the occasionally cruddy pit that passes for an ORV riding area where I am stationed. I am not by any means super fast GNCC champion material. Would stalling be a big issue?

I have also only ever owned electric start. Would switching to a kick only version be horrible? I have heard horror stories about riding, stalling and kicking forever to get it going again.

for someone going from a 250 4T trail bike that was much heavier to a 2T trail bike, what would my expectation be? my DRZ250 never had the bottom end pull I wanted for log crossing and gnarly stuff it was never meant to do I tried to make it do anyway. Could I expect to have an easier time learning those things? Is getting the front wheel up harder or easier?

Here is the link to the add for the bike I am thinking of getting.

http://oklahomacity....4879390937.html
I think I have loaded a bunch of questions for now. I am sure I will think of more later. Thank you in advance
Old 02-19-2015, 10:44 PM   #2
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,583
You won't be disappointed going with the 200, it has lots of grunt, good horsepower and is light and nimble. The kickstart is a breeze and seldom takes more than 1 kick to start it.

For premix I use a quality 2 stroke oil and the highest grade pump gas. Your world is about to change for the better.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:23 AM   #3
redleger OP
Horrible Mechanic

That makes me happy to hear. Headed the long drive after work to pick it up. Ill report up after my first ride if i get it.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2015, 09:39 AM   #4
Scootern29
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Very wise choice on the 200. I have an 04 200SX and I love the thing better than my 4 stroke, easier and cheaper to work on. Mine has been indestructable and goes just as fast as I need to go.
Scootern29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:53 AM   #5
redleger OP
Horrible Mechanic

Excellent. Im not hearing alot of negative feedback. Question. Iant the 200exc supposed to have a headlight? Is it common to see it temoved or is that a red flag?

Old 02-20-2015, 12:44 PM   #6
Scootern29
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Maybe the owner took it off? I don't see why that would throw up a red flag.
Scootern29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:58 PM   #7
NDMX743
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
It will be a lot easier to ride in the woods than your suzuki. It will feel very light. Very good bikes. Buy some locktite, because stuff rattles off those old ktms.
NDMX743 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 01:04 PM   #8
redleger OP
Horrible Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootern29 View Post
Maybe the owner took it off? I don't see why that would throw up a red flag.
Honestly dont know. Just worried because the price is so low. Ill inspect it tonight after work.

Old 02-21-2015, 12:38 PM   #9
redleger OP
Horrible Mechanic

Guy sold it before i could buy it at our sppointed time. Found another 200 im picking up tonight. Any tips on things to check on 2t vs 4t?

Old 02-21-2015, 01:23 PM   #10
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,925
A couple years ago I made the jump to a 2stroke. My only dirt/dualsport bikes before hand had all been 4 strokes. Yamaha TTR125, YZ250F, Suzuki DR350 and DR650.

For a while there I was using a DR650 for all my offroading. It was well set up for offroad and for the most part I was pretty happy w/ it. It wasn't until I borrowed a friend's old crappy/beater 1990 CR250 and rode it for a day. I couldn't believe how light, flickable, and powerful that crappy bike was.

I picked up a 99 KTM300EXC. Mine is minimally tagged, (basically just headlight and tail/brake light), so I can do the occasional enduro race. I don't do much actual dualsporting on it. But it will do the job if required.
However, it absolutely excels at nasty, tough, single track conditions. I LOVE my twostroke and unless I stop riding single track I couldn't think of a reason to get rid of it, other than getting a nicer/newer one.

For me the biggest thing to get used to was a lack of engine braking. There is some, but compared to my DR650, it feels like there is none.
I never realized how much I depended on engine braking and how crappy my braking skills were. You will have to learn how to use your brakes. BOTH brakes, even the front offroad.

You will probably have to learn to use the clutch a bit more. Though I rode my bike basically like a four stroke for a long time. However, learn to use the clutch better to rev up your bike when you need to, its a good skill to have. But don't worry about that at first.

This is a very relative statement, but I'm not a fast rider. I rider slower and like to pick my way through obstacles. Most of the time I'm riding just above idle, and only "get on the pipe" to charge up a hill or some other obstacle. I prefer my 300, it has a bit more low end torque than the 200. However, the 200 is still a very nice bike. A good friend of mine has a KTM200XCW (basically the same as an older EXC) and I have ridden it many times. He basically rides it the same as me. However, he does cheat because he runs a recluse clutch and abuses the crap out of it by running a gear taller (and has taller gearing!). He is an old guy (70's) and gets along very well w/ his bike.

I was also a little worried about kick starting as my 4 stroke YZ250F could be a bitch if it got flooded or the fluids messed up after a crash. But a well tuned two stroke should be very easy. My 300 is easy and the 200 is even easier. If you are really worried about it, than consider a recluse clutch. Then there is no stalling, and even when you have a crash, the bike will still be running. Just pick it up (much lighter weight!!!) and keep riding w/out any kicking!

Premix really isn't that big of a deal. On modern two strokes w/ synthetic two stroke oil, I've been running 60:1 w/ good results. Some guys run the really expensive amsoil and run as high as 100:1.
When I am dualsporting and fill up from the pump, I carry a baby bottle w/ oil. It is nicely marked in ounces on the side and easy to pour in. Instead of doing the math in my head I stared using a "premix app" on my phone to make sure I put the right amount of oil in.

Generally speaking there is less maintenance on smokers. I change the gear oil on mine a couple times a year. Depending on how much you ride and how hard you ride your bike, will dictate on how often you need to rebuild your top end. It sounds like you are a casual rider and not an MX racer. You could probably easily go years between top ends. And when you do it, its only $150-300 bucks for parts. And its pretty easy. I'm NOT a mechanic or even very handy, and I managed to do it myself. (Though I did have a knowledgeable friend nearby if I needed). My bike was still on it's first piston when I bought mine. So in 15-16 years my bike has had one rebuild. Though it probably wasn't ridden much for most of its life before I bought it.

Two strokes aren't for everyone, I have a few friends who have ridden my bike and they can't adjust to it. "How the fu-- do you ride that thing in nasty single track..."

Please feel free to ask any other questions you have. And/or PM me if you want.

Bucho screwed with this post 02-21-2015 at 01:35 PM
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 01:56 PM   #11
redleger OP
Horrible Mechanic

Bucho thank you. That was all the basic knowledge i was looking for. Lack of engine breaking is disconcerting but for the price of 4ts right now i will learn eagerly. Been without a bike for 7 months now and i am looking forward to warm weather and lots of riding.

What app is it you have on your phone? I am interested in using that.

Old 02-21-2015, 01:57 PM   #12
Greco
Momma's boys

Oddometer: 1,020
Your DR/Z is like a couch with a motor. A 200/250 2t will be like a mountain bike with a motor. Easiest way I can describe it. The 2t will react quicker and the power comes in a smaller rev range, but it can be controlled if you feel its too much. Slow turn throttles, heavy fly wheel weights, and even jetting it a wee bit rich can help.

Going 2t is one of those, "Why didn't I do this sooner?" moments......especially the tougher the trail.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:23 PM   #13
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by redleger View Post
Bucho thank you. That was all the basic knowledge i was looking for. Lack of engine breaking is disconcerting but for the price of 4ts right now i will learn eagerly. Been without a bike for 7 months now and i am looking forward to warm weather and lots of riding.

What app is it you have on your phone? I am interested in using that.

Mine is a very simple app. Just search premix oil and there will be more than one. I think they are all pretty much the same. But in the amount if fuel in gallons. Set the ratio you want. It will tell you oil amount in ounces.
Add, mix, ride, repeat...

As long as you are buying a woods/enduro type twostroke than I dont really think you can go wrong.
A lot of people ride the MX two strokes (YZ/KX/RM125/250...), and use them as trail bikes. In my opinion they need too much work to be a good woods bike. Though I would admit the faster/agressive guys who will use them to run harescrambles seem to do just fine with them.

But whatever, get a nice used KTM200/250/300 EXC/XCW (or other euro enduro bike) and its hard to go wrong.
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:07 PM   #14
redleger OP
Horrible Mechanic

I made the switch this evening. Go team orange. Now i have so many questions.

Hydraulic clutch. Very nice. What kind of maintenance does this require? Is there special KTM only fluid for it?

Do I need some special measuring apparatus to ensure I put the right amount of oil in the fuel?

Is there special fluid for transmission?

I am literally 2 stroke stupid. Been doing reading on benefits of 2T but now i wanna make sure i maintain it right and dont hurt this beautiful machine.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2015, 09:50 PM   #15
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 2,111
Congrats Redleger

I got one last Spring and it's great. You'll love how light & snappy it handles.

You can run about "anything" in the tranny. I use Rotella 15w40. I think the clutch uses mineral oil, but I've never had to mess with it.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote