Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 09:43 AM   #31
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
I'm using the Calfornia Topo Maps (I made the latest stuff on the desktop- the Garmin maps I have are on the laptop).

Either way, I just finished adding a slew of waypoints and loaded the routes up and it is MUCH more what I wanted.

Yes this went way around the barn and probably wasn't the easiest method, but it was a good learning experience for me and I think learned a lot. I'm hoping in a roundabout way this is going to get my orienteering skills back in line.

Bottom line, in order for it to work more closely with what I wanted, I need to use more waypoints. As I get better and better, I'd like to use fewer and fewer waypoints and force myself to read the physical terrain and make judgements on headings and such. In other words, learn how to truly navigate as opposed to doing the idiot version of following a line on a map.

Thanks again for all the responses as it did get me to thinking and come to a solution.
You might also want to check out this program: http://www.javawa.nl/rtwtool_en.html

"JaVaWa RTWtool (the successor of MacGPX) is a program that allows various conversions of routes, tracks and waypoints. There are options to 'de-flag' routes, convert routes to tracks and vice versa, convert a collection of waypoints to a track or direct route. Routes and tracks can be filtered to limit the number of points per route / track, and they can be split if they exceed a specified length.

Route points accidentally put off road can be corrected automatically.

Routes and tracks can be converted to a series of waypoints; in the case of routes you get a result similar to the Hermanizer.

Furthermore, routes and tracks can be converted to courses for the Garmin Edge, with the ability to automatically generate course points which warn you for changes in directions in a track or for turns in a route. Waypoints can also be converted to course points.

Finally, there are conversion options for TomTom, Google Earth and Google Maps.

Routes, tracks and waypoints can be separately converted and/or processed, and both the input and the result can be displayed on a map."
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:28 PM   #32
JoeMongo
¿Por dónde?

Oddometer: 358
Quick route conversion, no edits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
I'm using the Calfornia Topo Maps (I made the latest stuff on the desktop- the Garmin maps I have are on the laptop).

Either way, I just finished adding a slew of waypoints and loaded the routes up and it is MUCH more what I wanted.

Yes this went way around the barn and probably wasn't the easiest method, but it was a good learning experience for me and I think learned a lot. I'm hoping in a roundabout way this is going to get my orienteering skills back in line.

Bottom line, in order for it to work more closely with what I wanted, I need to use more waypoints. As I get better and better, I'd like to use fewer and fewer waypoints and force myself to read the physical terrain and make judgements on headings and such. In other words, learn how to truly navigate as opposed to doing the idiot version of following a line on a map.

Thanks again for all the responses as it did get me to thinking and come to a solution.
Hey Sally,

Since I'm using the same map set as you, I did the quick conversion of the routes as supplied by you and snapped onto the roads shown in TOPO 24K, then Basecamp quick converted them to tracks without adding any extra waypoints. They seem to look pretty good, but may miss some of the additional waypoints that you may have wanted to visit.

I exported them to .gdb and .gpx versions. I'll attach the .gpx here. If anyone wants the .gdb, let me know.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Death Valley with tracks.gpx (1.58 MB, 32 views)

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
JoeMongo is offline   Reply With Quote