Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2007, 06:24 PM   #1
usmctpdog OP
KingRat

Oddometer: 109
Thumb GREAT new V-Stream windshield for my V-Strom

V-Strom National Cycle V-Stream Windshield Evaluation

Let me first say that this is my 3rd aftermarket V-Strom windshield that I have sat behind and it is the best so far. Now I will qualify my statement.

I have just returned from a 2200+ mile 9 day road ride from Spokane WA to Sea Ranch CA mostly via two lane & Hiway 1/101 and about a third of the trip on super slab sitting behind a borrowed Cee Bailey 22 inch tall shield. The protection was without a doubt incredibly better than any position of the stock windshield, but the wind buffeting my head and the roar in my ears precluded me from ordering one tall CB for myself upon my return.

I had to borrow a windshield as I had only picked up my new 07 V-Strom
3 days prior to leaving on the trip. I had previously sold my 05 BMW K1200LT a few weeks back and had not located a suitable replacement yet, thus I returned to my most favorite bike in recent years, a new 2007 DL1000 as the replacement. A do everything bike. My significant other Rebecca was really looking forward to this road trip that was to be our last of the season and the longest single ride for her on her FJR1300.

The new V-Stream mounted up very easily and all the holes matched up.
No new hardware is needed. Just take off the OEM shield and install the V-Stream
using the same screws as the stock shield uses. Heading out today in 35 degrees was refreshing as my heated gear kept me toasty warm. I was looking forward to the taller windshield keeping the cold wind out of my eyes and down my neck. It did in spades. I normally ride with my helmet face shield open to get fresh air, but had to deal with the loud wind roar, but not this time.

It looks kind of funky with weird angles and now I know why. It measures 22.75 inches tall and I have it positioned so that I look just over it with the top of the shield coming about level with my nose. The windshield is 19.5 inches wide at the top. A V-Stream signature feature that directs air quietly around your helmet and not at your helmet so there is no buffeting noise. Truly the only sound I heard on this short 30 minute ride on 2 lane road along the Spokane river was as much engine noise as wind, but no head bobbling dirty air. I have not had it on the freeway yet but I did take a run at high speed with no ill effects or noise even @ 5500 RPM. Most of the ride was between 45 to 60 mph. The V-Stream shield actually works as well as my BMW LT touring windshield did, with even less buffeting and noise!

The angular cut curves midway down the shield are so that when your turn the handlebars the mirrors don’t come into contact with the shield. I had to move my right side mirror back so that a lock to lock turn did not touch the shield. That accomplished I had no other problems with the shield. Hearing my engine for the first time was significant as I was more use to wind noise roar in my helmet and it was strange to hear the engine instead of the loud roar of the wind pummeling my ears. On the way back home I had gotten accustomed to the engine noise and it now was about on par with the wind. I was very comfortable. Although I no longer felt like I was on a sport bike, now It truly feels like a sport tourer. This National Cycle V-Stream shield was optically as good or better than any other shield I have used. Far less noise and buffeting than either the Cee Baily or MRA shield I previously had installed on my 2003 DL1000.

This one has no NACA vent in the center down low like the others and does not seem to need it. The newer 04 - 07 model windshield has an airway relief built in at the bottom anyway. I have no Madstat angle bracket installed and concluded that I don’t need one. Long hours on the road take their toll on your body tiring you out with the wind noise, among other things. Not having to deal with the wind noise was a very welcome relief.
The design and hard angles of the V-Stream won’t win it any beauty contests, but it flat works better than any aftermarket V-Strom shield I’ve used so far. Infact the more I look at it the more I like it. This one is a keeper.
Attached Images

usmctpdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:33 PM   #2
Scoop
runs with scissors

Oddometer: 297
Well.....it IS ugly, that's for sure. But then, if it does the job, who cares. I guess I will take a look at this one for next year maybe?
Scoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:26 PM   #3
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,884
I just got a California Scientific and I really like it. Mark Lawrence, the guy who makes them, has 36,000 miles on his V-Strom and it shows.

It's available in several different heights. Nice product. Here compared to Givi.
Attached Images

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:33 PM   #4
cwbastian
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmctpdog
V-Strom National Cycle V-Stream Windshield Evaluation

Let me first say that this is my 3rd aftermarket V-Strom windshield that I have sat behind and it is the best so far. Now I will qualify my statement.

I have just returned from a 2200+ mile 9 day road ride from Spokane WA to Sea Ranch CA mostly via two lane & Hiway 1/101 and about a third of the trip on super slab sitting behind a borrowed Cee Bailey 22 inch tall shield. The protection was without a doubt incredibly better than any position of the stock windshield, but the wind buffeting my head and the roar in my ears precluded me from ordering one tall CB for myself upon my return.

I had to borrow a windshield as I had only picked up my new 07 V-Strom
3 days prior to leaving on the trip. I had previously sold my 05 BMW K1200LT a few weeks back and had not located a suitable replacement yet, thus I returned to my most favorite bike in recent years, a new 2007 DL1000 as the replacement. A do everything bike. My significant other Rebecca was really looking forward to this road trip that was to be our last of the season and the longest single ride for her on her FJR1300.

The new V-Stream mounted up very easily and all the holes matched up.
No new hardware is needed. Just take off the OEM shield and install the V-Stream
using the same screws as the stock shield uses. Heading out today in 35 degrees was refreshing as my heated gear kept me toasty warm. I was looking forward to the taller windshield keeping the cold wind out of my eyes and down my neck. It did in spades. I normally ride with my helmet face shield open to get fresh air, but had to deal with the loud wind roar, but not this time.

It looks kind of funky with weird angles and now I know why. It measures 22.75 inches tall and I have it positioned so that I look just over it with the top of the shield coming about level with my nose. The windshield is 19.5 inches wide at the top. A V-Stream signature feature that directs air quietly around your helmet and not at your helmet so there is no buffeting noise. Truly the only sound I heard on this short 30 minute ride on 2 lane road along the Spokane river was as much engine noise as wind, but no head bobbling dirty air. I have not had it on the freeway yet but I did take a run at high speed with no ill effects or noise even @ 5500 RPM. Most of the ride was between 45 to 60 mph. The V-Stream shield actually works as well as my BMW LT touring windshield did, with even less buffeting and noise!

The angular cut curves midway down the shield are so that when your turn the handlebars the mirrors don’t come into contact with the shield. I had to move my right side mirror back so that a lock to lock turn did not touch the shield. That accomplished I had no other problems with the shield. Hearing my engine for the first time was significant as I was more use to wind noise roar in my helmet and it was strange to hear the engine instead of the loud roar of the wind pummeling my ears. On the way back home I had gotten accustomed to the engine noise and it now was about on par with the wind. I was very comfortable. Although I no longer felt like I was on a sport bike, now It truly feels like a sport tourer. This National Cycle V-Stream shield was optically as good or better than any other shield I have used. Far less noise and buffeting than either the Cee Baily or MRA shield I previously had installed on my 2003 DL1000.

This one has no NACA vent in the center down low like the others and does not seem to need it. The newer 04 - 07 model windshield has an airway relief built in at the bottom anyway. I have no Madstat angle bracket installed and concluded that I don’t need one. Long hours on the road take their toll on your body tiring you out with the wind noise, among other things. Not having to deal with the wind noise was a very welcome relief.
The design and hard angles of the V-Stream won’t win it any beauty contests, but it flat works better than any aftermarket V-Strom shield I’ve used so far. Infact the more I look at it the more I like it. This one is a keeper.
Did you make a stop in the gorge? I'm pretty sure I talked to you briefly one morning and invited you to stop by my shop in The Dalles, OR ln case you needed something. I recall the new DL w/ the CB shield. Sounds like you had a great trip!

I've been on crutches all season and confined to a sidcar rig, but it's still riding...

Cheers.

Chris

'99 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
'70 Honda/Rickman CB750
'74 CB750 Sidecar Rig
'77 CB750A Hondamatic
'94 Honda XR650 SuperDualie
'05 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom
'99 Suzuki SV650
'74 Honda CL450
'94 Honda XR200
'74 Honda CL200
'75 Yamaha DT125
'70 Kawasaki Bushmaster 90
cwbastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:17 PM   #5
usmctpdog OP
KingRat

Yes - I do remember you Chris. We did have great weather and lots of good roads. Sorry to hear you are sidelined at the moment.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:56 PM   #6
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,528
even if that's the best fuggin' screen in the world for a strom that is the fugliest pos i've ever seen! if guys are reading this post give it up, you won't sell shit!
they should have elminated the cutouts for the mirrors and said you need bar backs and a madstat to use this.

my $ is on this parabellum. you will need bar back if you want to have the mirrors clear, but those are needed and way. they didn't hack the screen to fit the crap stock position!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 04:45 AM   #7
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,426
In my experience, the worst buffeting with the stock screen comes at higher speeds. I'll be interested to hear what it does at sustained 75-80 mph, and head or side wind.
McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 04:48 AM   #8
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,655
But Mr. Bill, you DIDN'T say that that overpriced ParaB actually works....
Looking at it, I doubt. more head-slapper

kingrat, I appreciate the thoughtful review. We've tried all sorts of things... thankfully the aftermarket interest in the V-strom is near-spectacular.

I have been quite interested in the Rifle systems for V-Strom but have never yet seen a real user review. I fear they may drop it if it doesn't gain traction. Big screen, and you can custom-order it to size if you like, and similar to Madstad, the Screen comes with hardware, and when I emailed them they were very emphatic that the hardware works well. But still, til I see someone like yourself using the Rifle and singing the praiz... I'm not plunkin.

I have had a number of National products over the years and they have always got the job done for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
even if that's the best fuggin' screen in the world for a strom that is the fugliest pos i've ever seen! if guys are reading this post give it up, you won't sell shit!
they should have elminated the cutouts for the mirrors and said you need bar backs and a madstat to use this.

my $ is on this parabellum. you will need bar back if you want to have the mirrors clear, but those are needed and way. they didn't hack the screen to fit the crap stock position!
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 04:50 AM   #9
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman
I just got a California Scientific and I really like it. Mark Lawrence, the guy who makes them, has 36,000 miles on his V-Strom and it shows.

It's available in several different heights. Nice product. Here compared to Givi.
you should get a prize. i think you're only the third person to ever buy one.

give us an honest review after you've done a couple thou with it.
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:00 AM   #10
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22
you should get a prize. i think you're only the third person to ever buy one.

give us an honest review after you've done a couple thou with it.
One could say the same about the Parabellum, I guess, were one inclined to be dismissive.

If you visit Stromtrooper I think you'll find a little more user experience with it than you represent. Givi seems the most popular, and is a good choice if you're not too tall or too short.
Mark also has a VStrom review site, with links to other manufacturers of screens for the Strom as well.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
Old 11-03-2007, 07:14 AM   #11
usmctpdog OP
KingRat

The VStrom is never gonna win any beauty contests anyway...I thought it was fugly too until I mounted it. In person it is not as bad as the picture suggests.*** The angles do match the angles on the Strom but I did not see that until
I had it mounted up and riding behind it.. *I really like it.

And there are a plethora of same looking vanilla screens out there that *almost work and you have to add a Madstat to the mix. >>> In this case it works just fine by itself.

**That is works as good as it does so far just makes the ugly melt away.

usmctpdog screwed with this post 11-03-2007 at 07:43 AM
Old 11-03-2007, 07:17 AM   #12
Kidder
Poser

Oddometer: 493
MY EYES, MY EYES.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:24 AM   #13
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,515
Couldn't they make it taller?
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 05:33 AM   #14
pdxstrom
The Bearcat

Oddometer: 42
Let's just say that you are a brave, brave man to ride with that shield on. If it works for you....Then the heck with what other people think. Thanks for the review. How about a repost in a few thousand miles to let us know how it is working. Might also be helpful to place that in the picture gallery of the Vstrom.info site.
pdxstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 06:47 AM   #15
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

here's the California Scientific Tall. I have the Givi also, but it's not tall enough for me. I like the looks of the Parabellum, as well.