User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2006, 01:41 AM   #1
jcs212 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Thumb DR650 vs KLR650????

I have been trying to figure out which bike to buy. I have read great reviews on both the DR650 and the KLR650. I plan i ridding the bike from Los Angeles down through central and south america. Which bike would be best for this trip? and which bike would be easy to find parts for in south america? also am im crazy to even think about maybe a KLR250?? the only reason i am thinking about it is... and around $2000 for a used one which is half the price of a 650..... if the bike gets stolen which in south america its a good chance that it will..... i can always buy another one.... basically getting 2 bikes for the price of 1.... but will the KLR250 even make it all the way down there??? any info would be great!!!

Thanks Jimmy
jcs212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 02:09 AM   #2
sleepywombat
the DR650 pig

Oddometer: 456
i have a klr250 and a dr650, in my experience i would take the dr650, air cooled means less things can go wrong with them, and with all the right modifications you can turn the dr into a bike that can eat up miles and miles of tarmac and still tackle some dirt, the klr is less dirt friendly, and although more geared to road touring it is in my opinion not as good as the dr especially for the $$$
sleepywombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 02:13 AM   #3
joshinthecity
www.joshinthecity.com

Oddometer: 135
Personally,
the ONLY bike I would take on a trip like that is a DR650.
Totally dependable and great on both surfaces (with the right rubber)
Slap on a Corbin and the IMS tank and you're good to go.

Josh.
joshinthecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 04:53 AM   #4
Paves
Beetrt/liver sausage

Oddometer: 1,662
You can't beat a KLR650. They just don't break down so the 'less complicated' argument doesn't hold. KlRs just go on and on, and unless you plan to go motocrossing, do dirt just fine. Have a look around this forum and others and see what the most popular bike for long distance trips is. You won't see as many DR650s as KLRs.

"All the freaky people make the beauty in the world" - Michael Franty. Weird, odd and proud of it
Paves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 04:54 AM   #5
Mr.Grumpy
Banned

Oddometer: 2,439
Please use the "search" function (return to "Thunpers" fprum and use the orange "Search Forum" tool for most efficent results. The "Search" tool that you can access while reaading the thread does the WHOLE website. Too much.). This question has been asked, answered and debated many, many times. Make coffee, get comfy and read all about it!
Mr.Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 05:01 AM   #6
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,391
DR650 owners don't mind answering this question again. (They don't call him Grumpy foe nuttin' )
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 05:33 AM   #7
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,228
I personally never liked the KLR's styling. It may be an excellent bike, but it just doesn't tickle my fancy. To me it looks old fashioned, square, army-ish. It's wind protection will no doubt be much better that the DR's one with that front fairing.

For a trip you are planning to do however I think you can't choose wrong between any of these two bikes. The KLR is slightly heavier (40 lbs or so?). The DR is lighter and has the simplicity of an aircooled engine but lacks some wind protection. That doesn't matter much to me, but for some that's more important.

Good luck with your choice!
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 05:45 AM   #8
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,042
Tumperz

There's a couple from Ottawa Ontario, who went down to South America on both bikes((KRL650 & 250))),,, the girl feels like dropping a hand grenade into the tank of the 250 everytime she has to climb any kinda rise or hill. just not enough power, stick with the 650 in either brand & you should be okay,,, XR650L is in the same league. good luck on your choice & trip

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:46 AM   #9
NJCapoNut
Dirty Boy

Oddometer: 255
I own a KLR650, but I've spent some time on a DR. Both are great bikes, but I'd want a KLR650 for this trip. More comfy, better wind/weather protection, and the liquid cooling in the heat down in SA will be a definate plus.

Good luck either way!!

02 Aprilia Caponord
04 Aprilia Tuono
08 Honda ST1300A
NJCapoNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 07:23 AM   #10
holycaveman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,379
Truthfully, any bike from 125 to a 1000, will do the trip fine. We are spoiled with the larger bore bikes. My friend from bulgaria(spelling) rode a cz250 for 10 years, through turkey, and all the surrounding lands, fully loaded. He transported clothing with it for a job!

What ever bike you choose, you will still thoroughly enjoy your trip. Unless you are a highly skilled preformance guru, who cares more about the bike than the trip.

My o2.
holycaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:12 AM   #11
rbrdown
I like cheese.

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by holycaveman
We are spoiled with the larger bore bikes. My friend from bulgaria(spelling) rode a cz250 for 10 years, through turkey, and all the surrounding lands, fully loaded.
Yabut with the larger bore bike it would only have taken 5 years!!

Seriously though, I have a KLR650, my dad has a DR650 - there's huge overlap in what the two bikes can do, probably moreso than any other two midsize DS bikes IMHO. You're going to have to mod either one, so I'd look for the one you can get the better deal on, including the mods you want to make. The liquid cooled KLR is probably a benefit in the temps you're going to see, as long as you get the radiator some protection, but many DRs have done it so I don't think it should be a dealbreaker.

Good luck - and like Holeycaveman said, it's mostly the rider, the bike's just a tool - so have fun and stay positive and you'll make it.
rbrdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:34 AM   #12
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,042
Question 650 Vs 650

I'm just curious,,, does anyone know the horsepower numbers of these 650's???

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:53 AM   #13
racer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,522
Don't know about the DR650, but the KLR is 38 stock.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:58 AM   #14
Kbetts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Kool
I personally never liked the KLR's styling. It may be an excellent bike, but it just doesn't tickle my fancy. To me it looks old fashioned, square, army-ish.
Well, I was going to do a slam but seeing as you're from an area noted for excellent style I'll pass with this comment. My feet lack style and are old fashioned, but they get me where I need to go.

Per the DR vs KLR, I think I'd buy the one I THOUGHT would work and give it a try with a couple of local trips loaded as if I was going for the big trip. If I didn't feel comfortable with the ergonomics and ride environment I'd sell it and try the other. I've only been to Mexico and Canada on the KLR but neither are much different than the States. The KLR250 sounds like a bit of a challenge but dooable. I couldn't do it because fat guys on little bikes are one of the most classic jokes in the whole world.
Kbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 09:04 AM   #15
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,079
Both would do great and both would need some minor modifications to do it. I'm a DR650 guy (we have two), so that would be my choice, but if you set them up right, you would be fine on either.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote